Photo
- - - - -

Will Ad-Aware interfere with my other antivirus program?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 dcvh

dcvh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:44 PM

Wil Adware 10 antivirus interfer or conflict with my installed Avira antivirus?

Edited by CeciliaB, 31 March 2012 - 07:31 PM.
Clarified title /Cecilia

#2 cootmaster

cootmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:46 PM

i have norton and its asking to uninstall it how i use 10 then i dont wanna remove norton

**SWEET MELODY**

#3 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7327 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:27 PM

Wil Adware 10 antivirus interfer or conflict with my installed Avira antivirus?

Maybe, if you notice any conflicts I suggest that you turn off real-time protection in one of the two antivirus programs and use that program as an on-demand scanner.

#4 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7327 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

i have norton and its asking to uninstall it how i use 10 then i dont wanna remove norton

I suggest that you test if it is possible to inactivate Norton during installation of Ad-Aware and then afterwards you turn off real-time protection in one of the two antivirus programs and use that program as an on-demand scanner. You can also continue to use Ad-Aware 9.

#5 cootmaster

cootmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:38 PM

1 how long can we use use 9 for its bnot being discontinued?
2 as for norton i want norton to keep ALL its functions ON can i run it in full mode after i install after deactivating it at install

**SWEET MELODY**

#6 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7327 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

1. See http://www.lavasofts...post__p__133987

2. I have not tested the combination of Norton and Ad-Aware, but I guess it is possible to run Norton as you do now and use Ad-Aware without real-time protection, and during the trial period without the firewall if your Norton has a firewall. But no promises.

#7 megamind

megamind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:02 AM

Don't take risk of using two antivirus at a time may make your pc unusable.

#8 cootmaster

cootmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

too bad id use 10 if the av wasnt there

**SWEET MELODY**

#9 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7327 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

It is not the antivirus part of Ad-Aware together with another antivirus program that is the problem. The problem is having two full real-time protections that are not written to work together. Even if LS Digger Barnes' explanation about possible conflicts with other security programs in the post http://www.lavasofts...ndpost&p=125582 is written for an earlier version of Ad-Aware, the principle is still the same.

#10 Deano

Deano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:34 AM

Hi There,

Version 10 stuffed up my Symantec Anti Virus for example asking for disc for like everything i clicked on in the main screen so had to uninstall Version 10 and then run system restore to get it working again. Got a Comp with AVG so I'm not gonna try it on that either cause i got a conflict warning like i did for Symantec Anti Virus

Really Only Used AdAware for Spyware in the first place not so much for anti virus

#11 cootmaster

cootmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

that v answered my question no thx to 10 bye bye

**SWEET MELODY**

#12 Deano

Deano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

that v answered my question no thx to 10 bye bye

Well I now had to install AVG on that computer as i didn't have the disc for Symantec Anti Virus which btw was a 2006 version besides only started using adaware for the spyware component now most anti virus have em so adaware anti virus+ is a no go for me until i see anti virus benchmarks with adaware then i go with it

Lavasoft I wish you hadn't included Anti Virus into your suite then i would of continued using it ;)

#13 cootmaster

cootmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

ya i dont need vipre
btw deano i hear about vipre on hsn w computers constantly like oh its sooo good u never need subscribe again blaaaa

how good is it REALLY

**SWEET MELODY**

#14 Deano

Deano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

ya i dont need vipre
btw deano i hear about vipre on hsn w computers constantly like oh its sooo good u never need subscribe again blaaaa

how good is it REALLY

dont understand what your talking bout?

#15 cootmaster

cootmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

every time i see Home shopping they say ohhhhh VIPRE SOO good u buy it once u never need do annual subscriptions

its WONDERFUL\\is it true just nonsence

**SWEET MELODY**

#16 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7327 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:00 PM

Virus Bulletin is a well known company with good reputation that tests antivirus programs. Here is the test results from August 2011 to February 2012:
http://www.virusbtn....g-Feb12-600.jpg
As you can see GFI Vipre Antivirus is among the best antivirus program, slightly better than AVG Internet Security.

AV-Test is another one with good reputation. In this test AVG Free has slightly better result than Vipre Antivirus: http://www.av-test.o...ts/novdec-2011/

#17 cootmaster

cootmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:03 PM

what about MS and norton i have those

**SWEET MELODY**

#18 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7327 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

You can find MS Security Essentials in the picture from Virus Bulletin, not among the best, and in the list on AV-Test's web page, not good.

Norton Internet Security is listed on AV-Test's page with better result than AVG Free.

#19 megamind

megamind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:29 AM

what about MS and norton i have those

Norton has good detection rates but is not free if you have a licensed version use it. But security essential don't have very good detection rate its cleanup is bumpy what is the use of antivirus which don't have good cleanup.
See this
http://www.pcmag.com...,2376220,00.asp

#20 RogerDavis

RogerDavis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:37 AM

I use AVG, and get the message that there is a conflict when I attempt to install Ad-Aware.

I will use Ad-Aware Free, if I can get it installed, and use it on demand.

So I presume I can turn off AVG, install Ad-Aware, set it for on-demand only, and reset AVG to on?

Or can I just install Ad-Aware, and immediately set it for on-demand only, instead of playing with AVG?

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users