20 replies to this topic

#1 Tech83

Tech83

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:09 AM

Hi! Lavasoft Forum Members,

I am just getting news about Lavasoft's new Ad-Aware 10 and would like to know if it will continue to have the same great interoperability with other security programs. I have personally seen where a malware item will specifically attack & disable a security program but it it gets stopped cold in its tracks when it encounters a different security program an therefore is unsuccessful in infecting a computer.

Will the Ad-Aware 10 installer allow for custom installation so that potentially conflicting components (with other security programs) can be disabled & tested at a later time?

From what I've been able to find so far it looks as though Ad-Aware 10 is going to be a stellar program.

Tech83 :)

#2 megamind

megamind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:08 AM

I don't think so since on home screen of ad-aware beta 10 there is only one button to enable and disable both antispyware and antivirus.

#3 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7521 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

Hi Tech83,

It is possible to turn off real-time protection in Ad-Aware 10 after installation and only use it as an on-demand scanner. Then it is unlikely that there will be any conflicts with another antivirus program. Ad-Aware 10 is a full-featured antivirus program and is not supposed to be run alongside another antivirus program, at least that is how I have interpreted what I have read, but probably the risk for conflicts depends on the other antivirus program.

#4 Tech83

Tech83

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:01 PM

Hi! MegaMind & CeciliaB,

Thanks, for the information. I do hope that Lavasoft does implement ineteroperability into Ad-Aware soon because I do know of two security programs that do have interoperability with other security programs and malware has great difficulty blocking them or bypassing them ( granted it is not impossible but it takes greater effort by cybercriminals to accomplish the goal of blocking/ bypassing them). After all, what greater delight is there than to frustrate cybercriminals and keep then at bay. :)

Edited by Tech83, 27 March 2012 - 09:02 PM.

#5 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7521 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:15 PM

Hi Tech83,

It is rather common that anti-malware programs (as MBAM and SUPERAntiSpyware) are implemented to be used together with an antivirusprogram, but it is not common that antivirusprograms are implemented to be run together with another antivirusprogram. Can you be more specific with what programs you want to run together with Ad-Aware Free Antivirus+, Ad-Aware Personal Security or Ad-Aware Pro Security?

#6 Gubat

Gubat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:29 PM

I've been using Ad Aware along side Avast for the past 2 yrs now, I'd hate to have something go wrong now after updating to ver10. Anyone experiencing any problems?

Thanks!

#7 Tech83

Tech83

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:21 AM

CeciliaB,

Sorry, for the late response my net connection was down. It would be very nice if Ad-Aware was comatible/interoperable with the other major security suites like McAfee, Norton, Bitdefender, Avast, and Kasperskys' even Spybot Search & Destroy just to name a few. Yes, I do know these are full featured suites however having another suite like Ad-Aware that can run alongside these without conflict (and without special configuration) would not only be incredibly amazing but it would also add a layer of security making it harder for crimeware/malware to get into users computers. It would also be nice to see Lavasoft maintain the flexibility of being capable of either a primary or secondary layer of security; which it has held for years. And to keep the installer file small why not have it download compatibility information for the detected on-board security programs this would include leaving all of Ad-Aware's feature fully operational. Having this level of compatibility to work with any other security suite would also be an excellant point of sale not only for Lavasoft but for computer techs out in the field while keeping cybercrime at bay.

Thanks,

P.S. This is also something I've brought up to the creators of Spybot Search & Destroy. I would also like to be able to add Pro licenses to those I already have & would definitely recommend a product of this type to others.

Edited by Tech83, 30 March 2012 - 03:25 AM.

#8 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7521 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:46 AM

Hi Tech83,

It is probably not a problem running Ad-Aware Free Antivirus+ alongside Spybot S&D since Spybot is developed to be running alongside antivirus programs.

I have added your suggestion to the topic "Suggestions & ideas - what features would you like to see in Ad-Aware 10?".
http://www.lavasofts...post__p__133938

#9 Tech83

Tech83

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:19 AM

Hi! CeciliaB,

Full compatibility with the other mainstream full featured security suites (as has already been mentioned in a previous post :D ). Is it alright if I ask around see what friends and family would like to see as well? I do believe Lavasoft's Ad-Aware is a very excellant security program.

#10 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7521 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:44 AM

Hi Tech83,

Please, of course more suggestions and ideas are welcome. Add them to http://www.lavasofts...in-ad-aware-10/ which is monitored by Lavasoft staff.

#11 jmpvn

jmpvn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

Hi,
Just like other people already wrote I installed the (splendid - I've been a content AdAware user over a lot of years now) new free version but got the pro version. Apparently this conflicts with another application on my Pc. I can imagine there are two of them:
first place the installed Avast antivirus software but possibly my editing program Adobe Premiere Pro v2 too as my computer shuts off while starting to work on a videoproject. I repeatedly restarted the computer with the same result any time.
I never had a problem like this withe the previous free AdAware version and the other programms I mentioned.
So for the time being I don't use AdAware until there's a solution to this problem. Instead I activated Spybot - Search and Destroy.
So far .....

#12 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7521 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

Hi jmpvn,

Everyone gets a 30 day trial of Ad-Aware 10 Pro Security when installing Ad-Aware 10 Free Antivirus+.

It is always possible that two programs with a very good real-time protection, as Ad-Aware 10 and Avast but not Ad-Aware 9 Free, do not work together. I am not sure, but I think you first installed Ad-Aware 10 and then uninstalled Avast, please correct me if I am wrong. In that case, it is possible that Avast disturbed the installation of Ad-Aware 10. If you have not used Avast's special uninstall utility, it is possible that there was an Avast driver still running and disturbing the computer.
http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

To be able to reproduce your problem and fix it, Lavasoft needs the above information and also which Windows version, including 32 or 64 bits, you are using.

#13 jmpvn

jmpvn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

Hi CeciliaB,
Thanx for your quick answer.
You chose Avast as the source for this conflict so you don't attribute the shutdown, just after starting up the editing program, to this very program. In a way I'm happy with that.
Moreover I didn't ever shut down Avast which makes your choice all the more probably right.

I'm still using XP SP3 32 bits.

My best,

#14 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7521 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

Hi jmpvn,

You are welcome :)

It is higher probability that there is a conflict between Avast and Ad-Aware 10 than between Adobe Premiere Pro v2 and Ad-Aware 10, but it is impossible to be sure until Avast is totally gone.

Please, uninstall Avast with their special uninstall utility, reboot the computer and install Ad-Aware again (will require one more reboot). Check if you still have any problems with Adobe Premiere Pro v2.

#15 jmpvn

jmpvn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:40 AM

Hi,

I prefer to maintain Avast as my antivirus software together with complementary features of AdAware free, just like it was with previous versions 9.x .
Will this combination definitely be impossible with free version 10 in the future? I would regret that.
Thanks for your answer in advance.

Best.

#16 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7521 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

Hi,

What will happen in the future is impossible to know. But I guess, if many persons really want to have a product without a good real-time protection, it is possible that Lavasoft will create it.

Jmpvn, you can always try to install Ad-Aware 10 with Avast disabled and then, before Avast is enabled, turn off real-time protection, e-mail protection and other advanced protections that may conflict with Avast. If that works, you can use Ad-Aware as an on-demand scanner.

#17 jmpvn

jmpvn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

Thanx, CeciliaB !

#18 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7521 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

You are welcome, jmpvn :)

#19 Tech83

Tech83

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:49 AM

Hi! All,

Given what I have read aobut Ad-Aware 10 it is an excellant program but I'd still like to see it fully compatible with other full featured security programs. As has been pointed out there is no security program that's 100% effective against malware/crimeware.

#20 glnz

glnz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:40 PM

Dear Lavasoft - I have refrained from updating my Ad-Aware Free version 9.6.0 because I trust Avast AV Free very strongly. I've had both Ad-Aware and Avast running since Win98SE and I'd be sorry to lose that. Like many others, I am not comfortable with your suggestion that Avast be turned off or that Ad-Aware be favored over Avast for antivirus purposes. I realize it's a free program, but I do urge you to do a further update that lets us continue to run Ad-Aware as we have in the past. By the way, you write above that in Ad-Aware 10, we can "turn off real-time protection". BUT - doesn't my Ad-Aware 9.6.0 have some type of real time protection going, so that if I upgrade to Ad-Aware 10 and then turn off real-time protection I am losing something I now have? Thanks.

PS - My PCs are WinXPPro SP3. I also use Spybot S&D (free), SpywareBlaster (free), but those seem to be quite passive. Occasionally I also run a MalwareBytes scan, but that is manual only - does not run in the background.

Edited by glnz, 24 August 2012 - 01:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users