• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fatb

fatb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:38 AM

I downloaded a browser hijacking virus which redirects everything to rrssearch.rr. com or mediashifting.com.

When I run the ad aware scan, it detects the viruses and removes them, but keeps returning.

Finding the path from the logs, I noticed they were all from my windows/assembly folder.

I've run multiple scans with ad aware of the windows/assembly folder without rebooting and it seems to detect viruses from the folder for each scan and removes them, but now my windows/assembly folder is completely empty...I have not rebooted.

I believe the first log (lavasoft scan report) was ran the first time I started the laptop today, and (lavasoft scan report 2-6) was run without restarting the laptop due to the extreme difficulty in just getting my firefox to even open up...taskmanager would show it running, but it would not open up.

I actually have the virus and tried to upload the file (nba league pass broadband crack download), but it gets hung endlessly and reinfected my laptop.

Besides my own stupidity, I have "Linsanity" to thank...trying to watch older games of Jeremy Lin with the Knicks, I downloaded the virus.

Ad-aware scanned the virus file, but didn't detect anything, but when I opened it, ad-aware would block it from executing, but like a complete idiot, I disabled ad-aware and opened it, infecting my laptop....Linsanity indeed.

My firefox is finally running, and everything seems to be okay except when I click away from my browser (on desktop) and click back onto my browser, I get the mediashifting.com pops up in a tab.

I'm sure when I reboot, all of the viruses will return again.

Normally, I would just do a clean install of windows, but due to smart failure of the hard disk, I am very reticent about trying to do another clean install.

Please save your breath about the smart failure, I understand and have backed up everything I need, I just want to use my laptop until it dies.

Attached Files

#2 Blade81

Blade81

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 6582 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:47 AM

Hi,

Download DDS and save it to your desktop from here or here or here.
Disable any script blocker, and then double click dds file to run the tool.
  • When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
    • DDS.txt
    • Attach.txt
  • Save both reports to your desktop. Post them back to your topic.

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013

UNITE member since 2006

I don't help with logs thru PM so don't bother to post me one. If you have problems create a thread in the forum, please.
Don't post your log into other user's topic, create a new one.

Provided removal instructions are meant to be used in the correspondent user's case only.

Please use "Reply to this topic" -button while replying.

#3 fatb

fatb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:24 PM

Sorry, I couldn't wait, the laptop was just giving me too many problems so I just took a chance and did a clean install, and it didn't push the smart failure over the edge so I think I'm good.

Thanks for replying.

#4 Blade81

Blade81

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 6582 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:51 PM

Ok. Thanks for letting us know!
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013

UNITE member since 2006

I don't help with logs thru PM so don't bother to post me one. If you have problems create a thread in the forum, please.
Don't post your log into other user's topic, create a new one.

Provided removal instructions are meant to be used in the correspondent user's case only.

Please use "Reply to this topic" -button while replying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users