72 replies to this topic

#21 Smith999

Smith999

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:46 AM

Thanks! That's good, but I think we still need an alert, in every possible mode(except gaming mode).Just to know that malware is blocked(detected etc.).Just a suggestion. :)

Edited by Smith999, 18 February 2012 - 11:48 AM.

#22 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7535 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:52 AM

You are welcome :)

Thanks for your suggestion and I will copy it to the suggestion topic which is sent to product management.

#23 Gavin2012

Gavin2012

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

what is an malware sandbox emulater?

#24 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7535 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:14 PM

Hi Gavin2012,

It is complex technical solution, but in short it is a way for Ad-Aware 10 to run suspected programs in a safe way to see if they behaves as malicious programs or not. One of many ways that Ad-Aware 10 has to investigate programs. Did you understand that?

#25 Gavin2012

Gavin2012

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:35 PM

kind of yes. So its not like the typical saferun/bufferzone/sandboxie? thanks for the reply Cecilia.

#26 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7535 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:25 PM

You are welcome, Gavin2012 :)
It is not that type of sandbox in which you can run, for example, Internet Explorer and be sure that a web page cannot do anything with Windows.

#27 Smith999

Smith999

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:50 AM

I think that the self defense is weak.I can easily stop all ad-aware processes from the task manager.Is that true or I'm mistaken?

#28 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7535 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:15 AM

I think that the self defense is weak.I can easily stop all ad-aware processes from the task manager.Is that true or I'm mistaken?

Thanks, the information has been passed on to the developers.

#29 megamind

megamind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

what will be frequency of auto update in new adware internet security free 10 previously it was twice a week which was a large gap :( .
Somebody previously mentioned no pop up when a threat is detected you should work on this it should show pop up when detecting a threat and auto update. you should provide a offline installer for beta version so that more people can test it and more bugs will be ironed out, web installer is ridiculously slow.I am dying to try out this beta but web installer is too slow for me :( .

#30 LS Ann

LS Ann

Lavasoft Staff

• 80 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

Hello,

Thank you for the help.

Such processes like AdAwareService.exe and SBAMSvc.exe can be stopped only by administrator. It is not a bug. It can be changed but Microsoft requires that all processes can be stopped by administrator. If you stop AdAware.exe only Ad-Aware GUI will be stopped.

Thanks,
Ann

#31 LS Ann

LS Ann

Lavasoft Staff

• 80 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:46 PM

Hello,

About Real-Time Protection. Pop-up appears onlу if “Prompt User” is chosen in “Suspicious Programs” when you access a threat. You will see four buttons: “Scan” – full scan starts; “Quarantine” – threat puts into Quarantine; “Allow” or “Block” - threat will be allowed or blocked correspondingly, but you will see the popup as much times as you access the threat. If you want the program always allows or blocks this threat, just select the Remember Action check box before clicking “Allow” or “Block”.

If you enable “Gaming Mode” you will not see any popup. If you have set “Quarantine” in “Suspicious Programs”, the threat will automatically be added to the Quarantine if you access the threat. If you have set “Allow” the threat will be allowed. If you have set “Block” the threat will be blocked correspondingly. But in this case you will have as much reports about blocked threat as many times you access it.

Thanks,
Ann

#32 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7535 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

what will be frequency of auto update in new adware internet security free 10 previously it was twice a week which was a large gap :( .

Hi megamind,

The update rate in the Free version will be the same in the Pro version and that is usually several times a day.

#33 megamind

megamind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

Thanks CeciliaB for clearing my doubt.

#34 Smith999

Smith999

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:46 AM

Hello,

Thank you for the help.

Such processes like AdAwareService.exe and SBAMSvc.exe can be stopped only by administrator. It is not a bug. It can be changed but Microsoft requires that all processes can be stopped by administrator. If you stop AdAware.exe only Ad-Aware GUI will be stopped.

Thanks,
Ann

Do not agree.You can never stop processes of Avast, Kaspersky, Panda, Comodo, Symantec...etc.

#35 LS Ann

LS Ann

Lavasoft Staff

• 80 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:14 PM

Do not agree.You can never stop processes of Avast, Kaspersky, Panda, Comodo, Symantec...etc.

It will be discussed.

Thanks,
Ann

#36 LS Andy

LS Andy

Lavasoft Staff/Forum Overlord

• Root Admin
  • 1534 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

Hi Smith999,

That is some very useful feedback - thanks.

Andy
unsolicited@tenalia.com

#37 Smith999

Smith999

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:42 PM

Hi again! :) I've downloaded archive, containing malware samples, for testing. Tried to unpack the archive with real time detection switched on. During the unpacking, decided to cancel the operation and BSOD appeared.
Screenshot and minidump attached.

Attached Files

#38 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7535 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

Thanks Smith999,

The information has been forwarded to the right persons within Lavasoft.

#39 LS Andy

LS Andy

Lavasoft Staff/Forum Overlord

• Root Admin
  • 1534 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

Hi again! :) I've downloaded archive, containing malware samples, for testing. Tried to unpack the archive with real time detection switched on. During the unpacking, decided to cancel the operation and BSOD appeared.
Screenshot and minidump attached.

Hi Smith999,

Thanks for providing the dump file.
  • If possible, we want to reproduce this BSOD - could you, as accurately as you can, provide the steps to reproduce this?
  • Which version of WinRar were you using?
  • Could I get a copy of the archive you tried to unpack?
  • Just to confirm, the BSOD occurred when using Ad-Aware 10?
Could you also change the debugging information from Small Memory Dump to Kernel Memory Dump? It would greatly help in the event the BSOD is triggered again. Thanks!

Andy
Lavasoft Malware Lab
unsolicited@tenalia.com

#40 Smith999

Smith999

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:05 AM

• Which version of WinRar were you using? - 4.1 beta x64
  • Could I get a copy of the archive you tried to unpack? Yes(link).
  • Just to confirm, the BSOD occurred when using Ad-Aware 10?Yes
  • password for archive:**
  • http://www.mediafire...7jxnk7ve74lxkgt

Edited by Smith999, 09 March 2012 - 12:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users