• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AbdLomax

AbdLomax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:53 PM

Downloaded and ran Ad-Aware96Install. Installer runs. Copying files proceeds, progress bar stops, then restarts. Message pops up.

"There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

When I accept that message, I get a message from Ad-Aware:

"Ad-Aware Setup Wizard ended prematurely because of an error. Your system has not been modified. To install this program at a later time, run Setup Wizard again. Click the Finish button to end the Setup Wizard."

Finish is slow but does complete and the Setup Wizard shuts down.

I am running Windows 2000 Advanced Server, usually about the same as W2000 Pro. What can I do to install and run Ad-Aware?

My need is urgent, I may have run the UPS notification trojan, by accident, while cleaning up old email.

#2 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7685 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:14 PM

Hi AbdLomax,

Sorry, but Lavasoft doesn't support Windows 2000 any more. The reason is that Ad-Aware depends on a Windows Update that is not sent to Windows 2000 computers.

To get help with cleaning your computer follow the instructions in the topic Read This Before You Post! and I will move your topic to the forum Help with Stubborn Infections.

#3 AbdLomax

AbdLomax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:49 PM

Thanks for your response.

Sorry, but Lavasoft doesn't support Windows 2000 any more. The reason is that Ad-Aware depends on a Windows Update that is not sent to Windows 2000 computers.

To get help with cleaning your computer follow the instructions in the topic Read This Before You Post! and I will move your topic to the forum Help with Stubborn Infections.

So the manual -- http://www.lavasoft....ware_manual.pdf -- is obsolete. Is there an older version I could use?

Obviously, I could not follow the instructions on that page, since Ad-Aware is not loading.

#4 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7685 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:08 PM

You are welcome :)

Sorry, skip Step #1 and perform only Step #2.

#5 erpguy6

erpguy6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:08 PM

that's strange. when I installed Ad-aware Free 9.6 on a Win2000 Pro SP4 computer back in late November 2011, it installed sucessfully. no setup error message. The Win2k SP4 machine I used had KB891861 Update Rollup 1, KB893803 Windows Installer 3.1 v2, KB927891 msi.dll and Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 updates installed. I'm wondering where AbdLomax downloaded the Ad-aware Free 9.6 setup package.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users