• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hayfj

hayfj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:58 AM

After more than 2 weeks, i cant appear to get Adaware pro working on my machine - please help, thanks.

I upgraded and bought Adaware Pro on 2nd Dec and got the install email from with KEY.

However, it goes through the entire install process, then it displays what looks like a windows message -

"The System Administrator has set policies to prevent this installation."

two other related items -

1. It also appears that my google results are hijacked,
2. when I tried to download IE9.0 from microsoft, it copied the install file into a designated folder on my pc, but it appears a second hidden file "MQTEJFG5" (7.69MB) was copied to the designated folder (I screengrabbed a winow appearing very quickly) , and it appears to prevent the install from working - but I cant see that file. - I include this as i think its relevant to the above. I'm wondering whether theres something on the machine preventing copying/installing files on my machine.

Many thanks for your help on this one as it appears i really need the tool i bought, but cant appear to use it.

:S

#2 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7767 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:22 AM

Hi hayfj,

Many infections stop installations of antivirus and similar programs. You need to remove the infections first. Please, to get help with cleaning your computer post in the forum Help with Stubborn Infections by following the instructions in the topic Read This Before You Post!.

#3 hayfj

hayfj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:52 AM

Thanks for our help, however...

I can't perform step 1, due to the same problem occuring above -

"WINDOWS INSTALLER: The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation."

(I tried to upload a .jpg of error, but your forum prevents it)

and when i go to step 2, I get this -

it appears to copy the OTL.EXE, and yet again this spurious "MQTEJFG5" (570K) also gets copied to the desktop.

(I tried to upload a .bmp of error, but your forum prevents it)

It appears that an extra file is being copied / installed.

and when i go to run it I get this -

Whilst the icon is clearly available, i get a windows message reading -

"Windows cannot find 'C:\users\hayfj\Desktop\OTL.exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and try again."

(I didn't type it, i clicked the icon as instructed by your good self, and it generated that error)

Hope this gives some insight to the problem, and thankyou for your assistance.

regards

#4 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7767 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:09 PM

You are welcome :)

That is a naughty infection you have ;)

Please, see if DDS works better than OTL. Save DDS to your desktop: http://download.blee...om/sUBs/dds.scr

Double-click on the DDS tool to run it.

When finished, DDS will open two (2) logs:
1. DDS.txt
2. Attach.txt

Save them to your desktop and paste their content into your answer.

If still unsuccessful, please, start the computer in Safe mode by tapping F8 key repeatedly during the start and select Safe mode in the menu, see http://www.microsoft...t_failsafe.mspx and see if either DDS or OTL run.

PS. You can upload a screen dump (PrintScreen) in .png or .jpg formats.

#5 hayfj

hayfj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:22 PM

No sorry...

"MQTEJFG5" gets copied to Desktop too along with the installed/copied file DDS

and when i go to run it, windows says it can't find it

I'll try it in safemode, and let u know how i get on

and thanks again. Will keep u posted as Im gettign rather stressed out about it all as its now 2 weeks, and still cant use adaware pro, and i cant get on with other stuff needing doing.

#6 hayfj

hayfj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:49 PM

Wee update -

still no joy or resolution.

When I clicked on DDS in safemode it opened/created a notepad file and filled it with random characters

I'd love to be able to experience adaware pro and rid my machine of malware and virus baddies

thnx.

#7 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7767 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:38 PM

Have you noticed any other signs of infection than the search redirections?

Please, start the computer in 'Safe mode with network' by tapping F8 key repeatedly during the start and select Safe mode with network in the menu, see http://www.microsoft...t_failsafe.mspx.

Download RKill by Grinler to your Desktop:
On the page http://www.bleepingc...nti-virus/rkill click the link iExplore.exe Download Link and save it to your desktop, please.

Double-click on the iExplore.exe icon to start RKill. Please be patient while the program looks for various malware programs and ends them. When it has finished, the black window will automatically close and you can continue with the next step.

If you get a message that RKill is an infection, that is a fake warning given by the infection. The trick is to leave the warning on the screen and then run RKill again.

Run RKill five times.

If you continue having problems running RKill, you can download the other renamed versions of RKill from the RKill download page. All of the files are renamed copies of RKill, which you can try instead.

Delete the OTL and DDS programs and download them again before trying to run them.

If still no success with OTL or DDS, I want you to create a CD or a USB flash drive that you can start the computer from. If possible do it on another computer.
Download OTLPE from one of these links
http://oldtimer.geek...om/OTLPEStd.exe
http://ottools.noahd...et/OTLPEStd.exe

Alternative 1 CD disc:
Insert an empty CD disc.
Start the downloaded program and it will burn OTLPE on the CD disc automatically.

Alternative 2 UDB flash drive:
See http://forums.majorg...ad.php?t=216844 for an explanation of how to get OTLPE on a bootable USB flash drive.

Do you know how to start the computer from a CD disc or USB flash drive instead from the hard disk? If not, ask.

When the computer has started form the CD/USB flash drive the REATOGO-X-PE desktop is displayed.
Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
If you get the question "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes/OK.
When you get the question "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes/OK.
Select "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" if you see that choice and click OK.
The program OTL starts.

Change the setting:
* Drivers to Non-Microsoft.

Click Run Scan to start the scanner.

When finished, the OTL.txt log file will be saved in C:\ or C:\_OTL\MovedFiles folder.

Restart the computer from the hard disk in 'Safe mode with network' and run Rkill 5 times.
Paste OTL.txt in your answer here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users