Photo

What is Ad-Aware Security Browser Add-On?

Ad-Aware 9.6

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 LS Andy

LS Andy

Lavasoft Staff/Forum Overlord

• Root Admin
  • 1534 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:25 PM

Ad-Aware Security Browser Add-On is a free security software developed by Lavasoft, the makers of Ad-Aware. Built specifically for browsing protection, this browser add-on is a free plug-in that gives you safety advice as you browse the web.

How does Ad-Aware Security Browser Add-On create value to the end user?

Modern web browsers boast integrated protection against web-based threats. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari and Opera all leverage reputation-based systems to warn users of phishing sites and socially-engineered malware. By systematically attempting to match each URL request against cloud-based reputation databases, browsers pro-actively block blacklisted sites hosting verified phishing or malware threats.

The problem is that not all browsers—and not even every browser versions—use the same systems nor offer the same protection coverage. For example, some web-based threats can be detected in IE, while not being detected in Firefox—and vice-versa. Ad-Aware Security Browser Add-On is a Lavasoft project to fix this problem by keeping web browsing protection current with the latest reputation signals available.

The browser add-on effectively adds an extra layer of protection on top of Internet Explorer and Firefox’s pre-existing web browsing security. In development lab tests, Ad-Aware-protected browsers have shown increased protection against web-based threats by blocking up to around 20% more sites hosting verified malware or phishing exploits. One key factor for this added layer of protection is that our website reputation database is updated every 5-20 minutes. This high refresh rate allows Ad-Aware-protected browsers to benefit from added protection against the newest discovered web-based threats.

What makes this browser add-on unique?

Like our flagship product Ad-Aware, our security add-on was built to offer increased security and privacy for our users. The project’s goal is to keep browsing protection up-to-date with the latest discovered web-based threat and to do it at no cost for our user. It effectively adds a layer of protection on top of Internet Explorer and Firefox’s built-in web browsing protection by warning users of phishing sites, socially engineered malware and web-based threats.

How is Ad-Aware Security Browser Add-On aligned with Lavasoft’s brand values?

Founded on the ideals of social and corporate consciousness, Lavasoft has been building acclaimed security and privacy software since the nineties. After more than 400 million downloads, Ad-Aware has become an instantly recognizable brand among consumers and businesses. As one of the most trusted security and privacy solutions on the market today, our flagship product continues to operate on the core principles of security, privacy, quality and ethical practice. All of these principles have guided the project from its initiation to the launch of its beta testing program—and will continue do to so well beyond its 1.0 release.
  • Bearry42 likes this
unsolicited@tenalia.com

#2 pcjuridice

pcjuridice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:57 PM

First, sorry for my English.
Yesterday I Install Ad-Aware 9.6 Free (I do a clen install deleting before ad-aware 9.5 and 9.6 and Ad-Aware Security Toolbar (was instaled by the automatic installer), and, yes now I have installed Ad-Aware 9.6 and Ad-Aware Security Toolbar in my PC but when I open firefox (my default browser) there's no Ad-Aware Security Toolbar in anyplace. My home page is google.es (Spain). Must I've change my home page? Can I do the change in Ad-Aware? How could I change my home page in Ad-Aware? Thanks and sorry for my bad English again.

#3 cmrn

cmrn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:17 PM

How to integrate it with Google Chrome?

#4 libran38

libran38

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 03:25 PM

Hi, I started a new thread, and then noticed this one at the top. I have the same problem as the previous poster.

Here is what I wrote in the new thread:

Hello,

This morning I un-installed the previous version of AdAware and installed the free version 9.6.0. I distinctly remember asking to install the new Security Toolbar, but I don't see it on Firefox even after re-starting my computer. I remember this because it asked me to accept the privacy/TOU for it. However, I did not check the google related boxes (I already have google search box as default in my Firefox, and I didn't want their page as my home page).

I can re-try the process, but before I do that, I wondered if I didn't understand something.

#5 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7547 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:04 PM

How to integrate it with Google Chrome?

Hi cmrn,

LS Andy wrote above

The toolbar effectively adds an extra layer of protection on top of Internet Explorer and Firefox's pre-existing web browsing security.

I do not think Google Chrome is supported at the moment.

#6 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7547 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:09 PM

First, sorry for my English.
Yesterday I Install Ad-Aware 9.6 Free (I do a clen install deleting before ad-aware 9.5 and 9.6 and Ad-Aware Security Toolbar (was instaled by the automatic installer), and, yes now I have installed Ad-Aware 9.6 and Ad-Aware Security Toolbar in my PC but when I open firefox (my default browser) there's no Ad-Aware Security Toolbar in anyplace. My home page is google.es (Spain). Must I've change my home page? Can I do the change in Ad-Aware? How could I change my home page in Ad-Aware? Thanks and sorry for my bad English again.

Hi pcjuridice

At the moment there is a problem with Firefox, see http://www.lavasofts...post__p__130262

#7 catsby

catsby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:41 PM

I wouldn't mind a site security advisor, but I don't like toolbars. Is it possible to have the new version without installing the Toolbar?
If it's not in the computer, it doesn't exist.

#8 LS Andy

LS Andy

Lavasoft Staff/Forum Overlord

• Root Admin
  • 1534 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:10 PM

I wouldn't mind a site security advisor, but I don't like toolbars. Is it possible to have the new version without installing the Toolbar?

Hi catsby,

You can indeed install Ad-Aware without installing the browser add-on - just select the appropriate options during install.

Andy
unsolicited@tenalia.com

#9 progresso

progresso

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:42 PM

Will there be a stand-alone Ad-Aware Security Browser Add-On? :blink:

#10 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7547 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:26 PM

Hi progresso,

A good question, let us see if Andy says that http://toolbar.lavasoft.com/ is the same as the toolbar integrated in Ad-Aware.

#11 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7547 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:02 PM

Hi progresso,
Yes, it is the stand-alone version of Ad-Aware Security Browser Add-On that you find on http://toolbar.lavasoft.com/ according to my contact person at Lavasoft.

#12 CrazyKiller5150

CrazyKiller5150

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:12 AM

Lately I've been getting one of those pages that is annoying, it's a pagenotfound.co page. Has anyone gotten one of those pagenotfound.co page since installing this new update?

I'm using Firefox.

#13 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7547 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:07 PM

Hi CrazyKiller5150,

You probably will get to that web site when you are entering a non-existing web address in the address field of Firefox. Is that correct?

#14 Kellan

Kellan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:07 AM

SP Explorer for Ad-Aware SE 1.04

Layered Service Providers (LSP) is small pieces of software that can be added or inserted into the Windows TCP/IP handler by other software. Data outward bound from your computer to a legitimate destination on the Internet can be intercepted by an LSP and sent somewhere other than where you intend it to go. LSP Explorer lets you view active LSP and Name Service Providers on your system, along with detailed information about each so you can determine whether or not they're legitimate. Access LSP Explorer can be run directly from the Add-ons menu. LSP Explorer works with all versions of Ad-Aware.

#15 jgordon367

jgordon367

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

I installed the toolbar yesterday and almost every page i go to will produce the annoying "pagenotfound.co page"

i can be browsing a page and refresh and i get "page not found", i can be clicking on bookmarks i had used an hour before and its "page not found". It works on some sites but ones like facebook dont work anymore. I used my mobile browser and found the links came right up so its just my browser with the ad aware installed. I turned the toolbar off but it didnt fix it.

Edited by jgordon367, 13 March 2012 - 10:04 PM.

#16 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7547 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:47 AM

Hi jgordon367,

To get in touch with the developers/testers of the toolbar, please fill in the form on http://toolbar.lavas...bug-report.aspx but it is also good if you can continue here in the forum and give us more details, if possible try to answer the following questions:
Which browser and Windows you are using?
What other add-ons you have installed in the browser (there might be a conflict)?
Any issues or strange behaviour during installation?
Do you have Ad-Aware installed?
What antivirus program and other programs with web protection are you using?
Please, give us some other pages that does not work and some pages that work as usual.
Do you mean that you disabled the toolbar in the add-on manager of the browser when you wrote "I turned the toolbar off"?
Will the browser work as normal if you uninstall the toolbar in "Control Panel" - "Add/remove programs" (XP) or "Programs and Features" (Vista/7)?

#17 Rg2732

Rg2732

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:59 AM

I had this problem too- apparently it can be solved by going to your Application Data (or C:\ProgramData on Windows 7), and using the uninstaller in the Ad-Aware Browsing Protection folder.

Anyway here's a screenshot of the thing. It even blocked me from going to the Lavasoft website on Chrome, which really is crazy.
Posted Image

#18 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7547 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:29 PM

Hi Rg2732,

Yes, that was really crazy. In my computer I only arrive to pagenotfound when I have written an non-existing web address in the address field of Firefox. Did the uninstallation of Browsing protection solve your problem?

#19 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7547 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:45 PM

@Fossil:

Your posts have been moved and you can find them here: http://www.lavasofts...rowswer-add-on/

#20 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7547 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

@Bitterman:
Your posts have been moved since it became a long discussion and this should be a general topic about the add-on. You can find them here: http://www.lavasofts...aware-in-avira/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users