Photo

"comprehensive malware protection" in Ad-Aware Free 9.5.1!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sophos

sophos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:31 PM

Good evening everybody;

I just noticed that a new feature has been added to the new version of Ad-Aware 9.5.1; which is the "comprehensive malware protection"..

when i asked /2/ experts through the live chat @ the support center about this new feature and what's meant by it, they replied that Ad-Aware Free now should protect against malicious files ; not just processes.

if that is true , then the "file" protection feature in the Ad-watch live should be "ON", but it is NOT!!

i need a specific answer now to this ::

what exactly is meant by the "comprehensive malware protection" feature in the Free version?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also have another question regarding the engines used in Ad-Aware Free:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What engines are used in the latest Free version /9.5.1/?

Are they "Avast + Bitdefender + Lavasoft's antispyware engine?

& is the "Vipre antivirus" engine included as the CNET review says?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7685 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:15 PM

Hi sophos,

Ad-Aware Total Security uses Avast + Bitdefender + Lavasoft's anti-malware engine.
Ad-Aware Free and Pro uses Vipre + Lavasoft's anti-malware engine.

I don't know what Lavasoft mean with the phrase but I will ask my contact person at Lavasoft tomorrow.

#3 sophos

sophos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:56 AM

Hi sophos,

Ad-Aware Total Security uses Avast + Bitdefender + Lavasoft's anti-malware engine.
Ad-Aware Free and Pro uses Vipre + Lavasoft's anti-malware engine.

I don't know what Lavasoft mean with the phrase but I will ask my contact person at Lavasoft tomorrow.

Thank you very much for your quick reply :-)

Awaiting your answer to the 1st question impatiently!!

#4 sophos

sophos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:57 AM

before i forget ,,

I also have 1 question left ::

How many malware signatures are there in Lavasoft's engine's database?

#5 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7685 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:22 AM

The amount is increasing for every day. Even if Lavasoft want to give you a figure, you cannot use it for anything since it is not possible to compare the number of signatures between products. The reason is that some signatures only matches one file while other signatures matches several hundreds of files.

#6 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7685 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:33 AM

I did some searches first and found the following:

If you are referring to the web page http://www.lavasoft....rison_chart.php that were not changed when 9.5 version was introduced. The meaning of the phrase is visible when you click on the "i" in the right-most column. Ad-Watch function of blocking files is found in the explanation of the phrase "Expert real-time protection".

The improvements in 9.5 are described on http://www.lavasoft....aware-available

#7 sophos

sophos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:53 PM

I did some searches first and found the following:

If you are referring to the web page http://www.lavasoft....rison_chart.php that were not changed when 9.5 version was introduced. The meaning of the phrase is visible when you click on the "i" in the right-most column. Ad-Watch function of blocking files is found in the explanation of the phrase "Expert real-time protection".

The improvements in 9.5 are described on http://www.lavasoft....aware-available

hello, sir!
thanks again for the follow-up!

i've already read the small description of the new feature ; but it was a little bit confusing!
they did not state whether the detection of malware is in real-time (with file on-access scanner available for free users) or not!
they simply say "the detection of viruses, malware etc"...
--------------------------------------------------------------------

you also have not answered my question clearly;sir!

why is the "file" protection in Ad-Aware free off since the new feature "comprehensive malware protection" is available in this free version?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

i also have one inquiry concerning the engines used in Ad-Aware Free;;

in the comparison chart , there was no mentioning of different engines for different versions (free vs total security);

the main difference between the free version & the total security version is the firewall & the online protection features, but nothing about different engines.

can you please confirm what engines are used in the free version 9.5.1? (after contacting your acquaintances in the support center)
----------------------------------------------------------------------

thank you again!

#8 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7685 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:56 PM

Hi sophos,

You are welcome :)

why is the "file" protection in Ad-Aware free off since the new feature "comprehensive malware protection" is available in this free version?

Since "comprehensive malware protection" has nothing to do with file protection in Ad-Watch, "comprehensive" is that it is antivirus, anti-spyware and anti-malware combined in one program, and also the program has detections that are behaviour based and uses heuristics and not only signatures. My opinion since my contact person is travelling a lot this week and is difficult to communicate with.

they did not state whether the detection of malware is in real-time

That is covered by the items "Basic real-time protection" and "Expert real-time protection".

can you please confirm what engines are used in the free version 9.5.1? (after contacting your acquaintances in the support center)

What I wrote earlier is what Lavasoft told me a couple of months ago and since it still is version 9 there has been no change in engines for Free and Pro.

in the comparison chart , there was no mentioning of different engines for different versions (free vs total security);

I guess that marketing people considers that type of information to be too technical.

#9 sophos

sophos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:51 AM

Thank you very much for your quick response ,,

I wonder why they tagged the feature "comprehensive malware protection" as "new" since the previous version already has this combination (anti-virus & antispyware & antimalware in one program) !!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One last question please ::

How many signatures are there in Lavasoft's Antimalware engine?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Awaiting your response impatiently!!

Edited by sophos, 04 October 2011 - 10:54 AM.

#10 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7685 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:31 PM

You are welcome :)

It is new in version 9 compared to version 8.

Let us wait and see if anyone at Lavasoft has something to add to our discussion.

#11 LS Andy

LS Andy

Lavasoft Staff/Forum Overlord

• Root Admin
  • 1535 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:33 PM

Thank you very much for your quick response ,,

I wonder why they tagged the feature "comprehensive malware protection" as "new" since the previous version already has this combination (anti-virus & antispyware & antimalware in one program) !!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One last question please ::

How many signatures are there in Lavasoft's Antimalware engine?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Awaiting your response impatiently!!

Hello sophos,

I guess the "who has the greatest number of signatures?" game ended years ago with the advent of heuristics, behavioural blocking, fuzzy hashing and so on, when one rule could block countless malware samples. If you want to know how many rules we have in place it won't actually tell you anything about how many files we detect, so could you clarify what you are really asking? Thanks!

Andy
Lavasoft Malware Labs
unsolicited@tenalia.com

#12 sophos

sophos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:07 PM

Hello sophos,

I guess the "who has the greatest number of signatures?" game ended years ago with the advent of heuristics, behavioural blocking, fuzzy hashing and so on, when one rule could block countless malware samples. If you want to know how many rules we have in place it won't actually tell you anything about how many files we detect, so could you clarify what you are really asking? Thanks!

Andy
Lavasoft Malware Labs

Hello sir,

first , I 'm sorry for my late response.
Thank you for enriching us with this useful piece of information.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really wanted to know the number of malware signatures in order to convince people of the efficiency of your product.
I'm talking about the members of the Arab security forum I'm registered to.
I thought that if I could get a rough idea concerning the number of malware signatures in Lavasoft's Antimalware database, it would be helpful since they DO care about such things.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avast! Antivirus ,for example, clearly mentions the number of malware signatures after each update, & it also mentions that "the actual number of files that Avast! can detect is much higher since a single definition can identify tens or even thousands of unique malware samples".
I was looking for such information from you, sir.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks again,
Sophos

#13 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7685 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:01 PM

I really wanted to know the number of malware signatures in order to convince people of the efficiency of your product.

But the number of signatures doesn't indicate the efficiency at all. I remember an antivirus or anti-malware program a couple of years ago, where the size of the virus database (corresponds to the number of signatures) started to get very big and updates rather slow. The company then rewrote the signatures and were able to decrease the size of the database with 50%, or maybe it was even more, and the program still detected all the malicious files that it had detected before the rewriting.

it would be helpful since they DO care about such things.

Better you spend your time with education instead so they stop to think that the number of signatures is related to efficiency. For efficiency you should look at reliable tests with real malware samples, for example http://www.av-comparatives.org/ http://www.virusbtn....0/rap-index.xml and http://www.av-test.o...s/test-reports/

"the actual number of files that Avast! can detect is much higher since a single definition can identify tens or even thousands of unique malware samples".

That is true for all antivirus programs, and that is the reason why you cannot use the number of signatures as an indication of efficiency.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users