5 replies to this topic

#1 SparKersky

SparKersky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:13 PM

Hello Ad-Aware free support,

I work in technical support for Kaspersky Lab and am helping a customer who appears to have used version 9 of Ad-Aware some time before choosing to purchase and install Kaspersky.

The customer is using Windows 7, they recieve a BSOD when attempting to install Kaspersky as it begins to install the drivers required for operation of our software. I believe there is a driver conflict between Kaspersky's drivers and some Ad-Aware drivers and services I have found are still running on his computer, despite Ad-Aware being removed 'a long time ago' according to the customer.

I have listed the running driver, processes and service below.

Lavasoft Helper Driver: C:\Program Files (x86)\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\kernexplorer64.sys

Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service: C:\Program Files (x86)\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe

Ad-Aware Tray Application: C:\Program Files (x86)\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWTray.exe
Ad-Aware GUI: C:\Program Files (x86)\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Ad-Aware.exe

I have also located some Ad-Aware created DLLs which are being called by AAWTray.exe and Ad-Aware.exe:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\PrivacyClean.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Resources.dll

So it appears a fair amount of the Ad-Aware program is still running on the customer's computer, though Ad-Aware itself does not show in the startup list, control panel or system tray.

Do you have a removal tool available to remove these entries, otherwise what would you suggest is the least destructive way to disable and remove these entries shy of reinstalling Ad-Aware and using a removal program such as Revo Uninstaller?

Thanks in advance :D

#2 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7522 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:57 PM

Hi SparKersky,

I wonder how Ad-Aware was uninstalled as I have never seen that much running after a normal uninstallation.
AAWTray's main duty is to display the icon in the system tray, why it is strange that no icon is visible there. The normal way of starting Ad-Aware.exe is from the startup list.

The recommended way to uninstall Ad-Aware is using Revo, see How to uninstall Ad-Aware 9.0. The Ad-Aware main driver is called Lbd.sys.

#3 SparKersky

SparKersky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:53 PM

Hello CeciliaB,

Thank you for getting back to me so promptly, I was hoping for some insider tips on cleaning up the files as this isn't the first time I have come across stray Ad-Aware remnants after it has been removed, though working in support I can appreciate that Antivirus programs are very sophisticated and not impervious to user error either.

I will give Revo a spin with the customer and let you guys know how this plays out, do you know if there would be any issues with reinstalling Ad-Aware over the aforementioned remnant files should Revo be unable to locate the remnants for its advanced removal?

Thanks again.

#4 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7522 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:35 PM

Hi SparKersky,

You are welcome :)

Unfortunately Lavasoft hasn't any special uninstall tool as most antivirus companies, but usually Revo removes Ad-Aware very well and I haven't seen anything about problems installing another antivirus program afterwards. I guess that if you need to reinstall Ad-Aware first it is best if you could do that with the same version as the one partly installed. Have you checked if there is an uninstall program in the Ad-Aware folder?

Note, I'm just a volunteer and not employed at Lavasoft.

#5 SparKersky

SparKersky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:49 PM

Hello again CeciliaB,

Duely noted, although in my experience forum based support persons tend to be far more technical than those working for the company in (1st line) support who learn how to fix their supported product for their job, whereas forum support do it for pleasure and have to learn the product the hard way - without a crib sheet of problems and fixes.

Anyway I digress, I have advised the customer to download the Revo Uninstaller Pro trial and detailed the steps to use Forced Uninstall. We shall see what happens when he replies to me. :)

Have a nice weekend.

#6 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7522 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:47 PM

Hi SparKersky,

My experience with different kinds of support staff is similar :)

Have a nice weekend, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users