• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ramled

Ramled

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:51 PM

I'm using the free version of Ad-Aware 9 and Windows 7 action center states that I have no anti-virus running. It offers to start awsc.exe, which I've tried several times but nothing happens. I see AAWservice.exe and AAWtray.exe running in task manager and when I launch Ad-Aware from the system tray it shows everything as OK. I'm just curious if this is just a Windows 7 bug I should ignore? I have Windows defender running as well but I've tried it with it turned off and it has no effect.
Thanks,
Ramled

#2 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7232 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:18 AM

Hi Ramled,

Have you tried to uninstall and install Ad-Aware?
Uninstallation instruction: http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=30850

#3 Russ7

Russ7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:32 PM

Ramled, if you're going to ask the flippin question, look for an answer and respond....... Did your mommy not teach you this???

Edited by Russ7, 27 June 2011 - 06:33 PM.

#4 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7232 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:50 AM

This is a support forum, please help each other with constructive suggestions and be nice.

#5 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7232 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:58 PM

I'm using the free version of Ad-Aware 9 and Windows 7 action center states that I have no anti-virus running. It offers to start awsc.exe, which I've tried several times but nothing happens. I see AAWservice.exe and AAWtray.exe running in task manager and when I launch Ad-Aware from the system tray it shows everything as OK. I'm just curious if this is just a Windows 7 bug I should ignore? I have Windows defender running as well but I've tried it with it turned off and it has no effect.
Thanks,
Ramled

Hi Ramled,

Lavasoft has released Ad-Aware version 9.0.7, which for example solves a problem with Security Center (Action Center) reporting that Ad-Aware is off, see http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=31393
Please, update to this new version. If it doesn't solve your issue, please return.

#6 trevbol

trevbol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:24 PM

Hi I've just downloaded ad aware 907 to be my antivirus and updated it. but I have the same symptoms as this topic
I'm using Vista 32 bit though and I'd prefer not to uninstall and reinstall as the file was over 100Mb to download..

Is there any other options to fix the awsc.exe not running and am I protected without it showing in the task manager? (aawtray.exe is listed)
The windows security centre doesn't report it started even after I ask it to.

cheers
Trev

#7 trevbol

trevbol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:02 AM

Hi I've just downloaded ad aware 907 to be my antivirus and updated it. but I have the same symptoms as this topic
I'm using Vista 32 bit though and I'd prefer not to uninstall and reinstall as the file was over 100Mb to download..

Is there any other options to fix the awsc.exe not running and am I protected without it showing in the task manager? (aawtray.exe is listed)
The windows security centre doesn't report it started even after I ask it to.

cheers
Trev

Quick update here

It stopped working altogether for no reason and without telling me. (or me noticeing for ? how long)
I started it again and it wasn't detected again so I stopped the lavasoft service and started it again and it was detected (by windows security center) I checked the processes and only aawtray is listed. The lavasoft service is running too but no awsc.exe to be seen anywhere
The consol tells me everything is OK

can anyone tell me if I'm protected?

cheers

#8 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7232 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:19 AM

Hi trevbol,

Do you see AAWService.exe in Task Manager after you have selected to show processes for all users?
That file is the Ad-Aware Service and should always be running, but not awsc.exe.

Do you have another antivirus program installed that may interfere with Ad-Aware?

#9 trevbol

trevbol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:04 PM

Hi Ceciliab

Yes I do have the AAWService.exe running (didn't think to look under all users!)
It's the windows service centre that says it's starting the awsc.exe file

and no I don't have any other antivirus..

#10 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7232 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:27 PM

Hi trevbol,

awsc.exe is responsible for informing Security Center that Ad-Aware is running and it will only be running for a short time (usually at startup). Ad-Aware will work as usual even when awsc.exe can't run and the only issue is that you get the message from Security Center.

#11 trevbol

trevbol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:02 PM

Hi CeciliaB,

So I'm protected and the awsc exe doesn't work? I tried to run it from the prog files and it still makes no difference.. should I put it in the 'start up' folder or just tell the security centre to ignore aaw's status? funny how stopping the lavasoft service and starting it again works..

thanks

#12 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7232 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:40 PM

Hi trevbol,

You are protected when you see the normal Ad-Aware icon next to the clock. If you want, you can turn off the warning in Security Center.

awsc.exe itself works since it can inform Security Center when you turn on the Ad-Aware service in Administration Tool - Services. When you do that the service will call awsc.exe. It is unknown at the moment why awsc.exe and Security Center cannot cooperate when Windows is started in some computers.

You can try to find information about Ad-Aware issues in the Event Viewer, if you want to investigate it further.

See also http://www.lavasofts...mp;#entry128133

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users