• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 getitfree

getitfree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:49 AM

This experience has been bitter. Earlier this year my AdAwarePlus stopped updating and in fact stopped working altogether (new license, latest version at that date, XPSP2). I contacted support several times and received one reply with no practical assistance. Since I could not allow a paid-for non-functional security application to sit on my machine, I removed Ad-Aware and bought Malwarebytes. I asked for a refund from Lavasoft. No answer. This is equal to a scam.

This past week my Lavasoft PersonalFirewall has stopped updating (manual). This is also a new license with 249 days remaining, as it states on the application itself. I emailed support. No answer. When I checked the licenses in my account online, I saw that there is a record of old expired firewall licenses, but my new license is not there! I paid, but there is no record online, and the application is now non-operational. Just as my new paid Ad-AwarePlus became.

I have made conscientious efforts to engage Lavasoft in addressing these isssues. All the effort has been on my part. Although I see from this forum that Lavasoft has been very well aware of problems, they have not treated their paying customers with the courtesy of alerting them and advising them by email or through the newsletter. Lavasoft have left it to their customers to fend for themselves. This is a huge ugly message of "we don't care".

Where products are paid for but are non-functional, a refund is legally indicated, otherwise the sale is fraudulent. Lavasoft has sunk to a scam. I will try to find legal means to recover my money since Lavasoft are ignoring my requests for a refund.

Altogether a bitter experience, as I said. I will not keep it private. Buyer beware!

#2 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 6778 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:14 AM

Hi getitfree,

Sorry to here that you have problems, but Ad-Aware and other Lavasoft products works without any problems for most persons.

If you really mean that you have XP with only SP2, you should install SP3 since the computer otherwise has many security issues and is very easy to infect.

#3 getitfree

getitfree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:57 AM

Hi getitfree,

Sorry to here that you have problems, but Ad-Aware and other Lavasoft products works without any problems for most persons.

If you really mean that you have XP with only SP2, you should install SP3 since the computer otherwise has many security issues and is very easy to infect.

Hi Cecilia thanks for reply.

I know, or at least assume, that you are not Lavasoft employed, so I cannot speak to your reply as I would one from Lavasoft itself. Obviously, "sorry" would not be enough from Lavasoft, and in fact I have not received one! Lavasoft has my money and I have neither of the two products I purchased. This is fraud. I have been prepared to work with Lavasoft over a period of months to solve the problems, but one can't get very far when Lavasoft does not communicate!

These Lavasoft products might work "for most persons", as you say. But they don't work for me, nor for many others, if these forums are any indication. Lavasoft has a legal obligation to refund money to purchasers in the case where their products do not work, despite there being no fault with the systems they are installed on. I have requested this but have had no action from Lavasoft. It's plain fraud. If Lavasoft products only work on some system configurations, this should be made plain to prospective purchasers, and they should be given a refund if the applications fail.

There is no need to assume and infer that I am incompetent in managing my computer. I consciously chose to avoid the SP3 for XP for good reasons, which you might discover if you do research. MS fixes are not to be consumed lightly or uncritically. I chose to forgo SP3 in the interests of the software applications that I use to make a living, but to instead ensure the privacy and security of my computer in the kinds of ways that Lavasoft itself recommends. That includes privacy and security applications like Lavasoft claim to sell. And that is why I am calling them out - because Lavasoft products don't do that in reality for a large number of people, including myself. My computer works trouble free, fast and economically, the more so now that I have got rid of Lavasoft products. In short, following the MS sheep is not always smart. You can sometimes be smarter! And Lavasoft cannot hide behind MS service packs.

Neil

#4 LS Jeffery

LS Jeffery

Valued Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:46 AM

Hello GetitFree

I have forwarded this thread to our support team, it is extremely odd that they have not gotten back to you as they usually reply any weekday within 24 hours. I am sorry for any trouble you have had, and I am sure they will get on sorting it out as soon as possible.

If you have requested a refund, I am sure they will honor that request.

Regards,
Jeff - Lavasoft

#5 LS_Zoran

LS_Zoran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:17 AM

Hi Neil

I'm sorry to hear about your negative experience with Ad-Aware.

Please PM me your e-mail address and we will sort out the refund

Regards
Göran

#6 getitfree

getitfree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:14 AM

Hi Neil

I'm sorry to hear about your negative experience with Ad-Aware.

Please PM me your e-mail address and we will sort out the refund

Regards
Göran

Thanks for your reply. PM sent.

Neil

#7 getitfree

getitfree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:08 AM

@LS_Zoran

Over the week since I answered your post I have emailed support twice. No assistance has been forthcoming. The problem with Lavasoft Personal Firewall has still not been solved.

I am again requesting a refund for both the firewall and Ad-Aware. My copy of Ad-Aware has been dysfunctional almost since the time I last renewed. I have an email record of my correspondence about it with support back nearly to that date. I expect a full refund of that, and I expect a full refund of my Lavasoft Personal Firewall license with 246 days remaining.

I have used several email addresses in correspondence with Lavasoft. Please use this one:

XXXXXXXXX (PM sent)

in finalising this matter. I have a complete email record of all correspondence with Lavasoft over the years I have been a customer. There is also this forum thread.

There are consumer protection laws and procedures in place in Australia which I will have recourse to if I do not receive the refunds in a timely manner.

Looking forward to your reply.

Neil

Edited by getitfree, 20 May 2011 - 01:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users