Photo

Full scan is now going on 13+ hours, why so long?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 RichW

RichW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:02 AM

So I started a full scan last night after installation (don't know why I didn't have it already, its been on all my PC's and laptops before) and it's still running, going on 13+ hours, which I think the timing is wrong because I started the scan around this time, anywhere from 1am-3am, so thats weird too.

Objects scanned so far: 387,000+
Objects found so far: 1

Can anyone tell me why this might be taking so long, I don't think it ever used to take me this long with any PC/laptop I've had. The scan time is obviously wrong, I know I started the scan sometime around this time last night, give or take an hour or two. Unless for some reason it stopped scanning and started again, would it do that if the windows xp users is logged off or if windows is on idle?

Note: Files on my computer aren't as much as an average computer, although because of my media there is a lot of hard drive storage taken up, on both drives.

Thanks,
-Rich

#2 RichW

RichW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:24 AM

It came to a stop just minutes before posting this post.

Objects scanned: 394,163
Objects Removed: 59 (all cookies, except; Win32.Exploit.DCom is an explout that targets a known vulnerability in the Microsoft Windows Remote Proceduer Calls (RPC).)

Regardless, I would like to know why it took so long. -.-

#3 adulti

adulti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:52 AM

really weired, it must be problem of your cpu or memory, check it out.

#4 RichW

RichW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:43 AM

really weired, it must be problem of your cpu or memory, check it out.

Any ideas on how to go about that?

#5 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7704 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:35 PM

Hi RichW,

How old is your computer and how fast is it?
Which Windows is installed?
How much RAM memory is installed?
Did the computer do anything else at the same time as the scan?
Is another antivirus program installed?
Does other hard disk activities take long time, for example chkdsk, defragmentation?

All of the above might influence the scanning time.

#6 RichW

RichW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:12 AM

Hi RichW,

How old is your computer and how fast is it?
Which Windows is installed?
How much RAM memory is installed?
Did the computer do anything else at the same time as the scan?
Is another antivirus program installed?
Does other hard disk activities take long time, for example chkdsk, defragmentation?

All of the above might influence the scanning time.

My PC is a couple years old but I built it myself with high end (at that time) hardware.
Windows XP
2GB RAM
Nothing was running during scan
I have trend micro installed, it may or may not have been doing a scan at the same time, I don't think so though.
I did a defrag a few days ago and probably haven't done one sine my last reformat, which might have been a few years ago, and it took pretty long.

But there isn't much junk on my PC. I keep it pretty simple and clean.

#7 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7704 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:14 PM

Hi RichW,

Many antivirus programs checks every file that is opened, read, written and/or closed by other programs. If Trend Micro does that with every file that Ad-Aware opens for scanning it means that every file in the computer is scanned both by Trend Micro (maybe several times) and by Ad-Aware. That will certainly take long time.

A couple of years ago, I noticed in my own computer that the anti-malware program took 8 minutes to scan with the antivirus program running but only 2 minutes if I turned off the antivirus program first.

#8 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7704 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:35 PM

Are you using Ad-Aware version 9.03 or 9.04? Earlier versions had more problems with cooperation with other antivirus programs.

If you minimize or close the user interface of Ad-Aware after starting the scan, Ad-Aware will enter "idle mode scan" and it will only scan files when the computer isn't doing anything else and use as little CPU and memory as possible. This is very useful if you want to do other things with the computer during the scan but, of course, gives longer scan times.

Ad-Aware also has a feature called sandbox, and certain files will be executed in the sandbox, which is more time consuming than only checking simple definitions as most antivirus programs do.

#9 RichW

RichW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:24 AM

If you minimize or close the user interface of Ad-Aware after starting the scan, Ad-Aware will enter "idle mode scan" and it will only scan files when the computer isn't doing anything else and use as little CPU and memory as possible. This is very useful if you want to do other things with the computer during the scan but, of course, gives longer scan times.

This is definitely the case. I had it minimized the whole time.

Thanks.

#10 Mike Smith

Mike Smith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:01 AM

Have you retried scanning? See if this time it also takes that long.

There are articles out there on how to reset your clock, maybe those help. 13hours is way too long unless you have hard drive with 500GB of files in it.

Mike

#11 RichW

RichW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:16 AM

Have you retried scanning? See if this time it also takes that long.

There are articles out there on how to reset your clock, maybe those help. 13hours is way too long unless you have hard drive with 500GB of files in it.

Mike

No I haven't retried scanning yet, but I'll make sure to do so once I'm on my desktop again. But I believe we figured out why it took so long; due to the program being minimized to my task bar.

I do have a second hard drive full of movies, but I believe it was set not to be scanned, not sure. But I'll definitely check that, and then if possible; do a scan on just that hard drive to see how long it would take.

Thanks for your two cents anyways, always appreciated.
-Rich

#12 BriMac

BriMac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 03:08 AM

I am experiencing the same issue. I give up after letting the process run for an extended period

Additionally when I cold boot the PC & when I look at Task Manager I notice that AAWService is hogging CPU resources the vast majority of CPU in the Process tab. The lack of resources makes running any other program totally impossible for about 10-15 minutes. :(

Any ideas on either would really be appreciated.

#13 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7704 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:21 PM

Hi BriMac,

Do you have another antivirusprogram or other security programs than Ad-Aware?
Do you leave AVG open while scanning?

#14 Mr. Incredible

Mr. Incredible

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:55 PM

I got an HP6610f -- 750 hard drive, 4GB memory and 4-core. 636GBof 686GB free.

I got free Ad-Aware 9.0.5.

I keep my machine clean, going through Internet Options and disk cleaner, Ad-Aware Track Sweep and Quick Scans in Norton Online. I do this religiously. The malware and virus scans turn up nothing. The machine is clean.

Full scans of only drive C are taking between 5 and 6 hours. That's ridiculous and I really, really hate it. I don't understand how electrons, going 186,292 miles/sec can take so long to do this.

Either it's the Lavasoft program, or it's the programming in my machine. I believe it's not my machine.

Wusup wit dis?

#15 Mr. Incredible

Mr. Incredible

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:21 PM

BTW, it scans under 200 thousand objects. If we use 5 hours for the scan time, that's 40 thousand objects per hour. I get more angry just thinking about it cuz I got things to do.

Now, I just thought-a sumpin -- Norton Online prob'ly does an "Idle Time Scan" during the Ad-Aware scan, though I can't understand why the Norton thing interprets the Ad-Aware scan as "idle time." So, I'll try an Ad-Aware scan after I disengage Norton, and we'll see whether that helps. I can't imagine that it will, given the machine's configuration, but we'll see.

#16 Mr. Incredible

Mr. Incredible

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:46 AM

So, I disabled the Norton Online Anti-Virus thing, and the Ad-Aware full scan STILL took over 5 hours.

#17 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7704 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:10 AM

Hi all,

Did the update to version 9.0.6 improve the scanning time?

#18 cyb

cyb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:21 AM

Hi all,

Did the update to version 9.0.6 improve the scanning time?

I am having the same problem Adaware is taking 9 hours to scan, I have avg which I disabled during the scan.

#19 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7704 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:30 PM

Hi cyb,

How much space is occupied on your hard disk, how many files do you have?
How old is your computer?
Did you leave Ad-Aware open while scanning?
Remember that Ad-Aware is both an antivirus program and an anti-malware program and it takes more time to do two things than just one (like a standard antivirus program).

#20 cyb

cyb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:35 PM

Hi cyb,

How much space is occupied on your hard disk, how many files do you have?
How old is your computer?
Did you leave Ad-Aware open while scanning?
Remember that Ad-Aware is both an antivirus program and an anti-malware program and it takes more time to do two things than just one (like a standard antivirus program).

To be honest I forget how many files it scanned in the end, But I have a 500gb h/d which is about quarter full and yes i left it open while scanning.
The pc is 1 year old full spec at the time of building

Edited by cyb, 24 May 2011 - 12:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users