• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 baggins

baggins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:48 PM

Updates applying OK until file Viprebridge.dll.file.lzma (53Kb) is encountered. The error message 'Connection error, check your settings' is then displayed. I am running Avira free AV & ZoneAlarm Firewall and have tried disabling the AV to do the update, with no change in the outcome. Anybody any ideas as to how to fix this please?

#2 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7403 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:12 PM

Hi baggins,

I advice you to upgrade to a newer version, with each new version there are improvements to deal with the newer malware.

Even if you don't want to have the latest version, you can try to install version 8.2 at least. You can find old versions at FileHippo: http://www.filehippo...nload_ad-aware/

#3 LS Jeffery

LS Jeffery

Valued Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:52 AM

Hello everyone

The updates on 8.1.4 should now be resolved.

However, I HIGHLY recommend that everyone updates to the 9.0 version. With the speed at which the malware industry changes, you need to keep your technology up to date to ensure your protection. If you are using an old version you are not as protected as you should be, so once again, I highly recommend you get the latest version.

Regards,
Jeff - Lavasoft

#4 Louis Kam

Louis Kam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:55 PM

Hello everyone

The updates on 8.1.4 should now be resolved.

However, I HIGHLY recommend that everyone updates to the 9.0 version. With the speed at which the malware industry changes, you need to keep your technology up to date to ensure your protection. If you are using an old version you are not as protected as you should be, so once again, I highly recommend you get the latest version.

Regards,
Jeff - Lavasoft

Jeff, will the 8.2 version detect/cleanup malwares only with no anti-virus scanning at all? I find the simpler yours is, the less program conflicts with my exisitng McAfee anti-virus program in Windows XP. That's way I stay in the V8.1.4 version still.

#5 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7403 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:39 PM

Hi Louis Kam,

Virus Bulletin has performed detection tests and shows the result here: http://www.virusbtn....0/rap-index.xml
You can study the results and you find that your computer probably is better protected by using latest Ad-Aware with antivirus than with you McAfee antivirus.

#6 Moksha

Moksha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:20 PM

Jeff, will the 8.2 version detect/cleanup malwares only with no anti-virus scanning at all? I find the simpler yours is, the less program conflicts with my exisitng McAfee anti-virus program in Windows XP. That's way I stay in the V8.1.4 version still.

Excellent point. Many of us love Ad-Aware Free 8.1.4, but we already have good anti-virus programs. While better heuristic detection is great, system slowdowns and conficts are best to be avoided.

#7 Louis Kam

Louis Kam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:51 PM

No definition update for V8.1.4 today (Monday)...... is it the sign that this version is dying?

#8 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7403 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:52 PM

Hi Louis Kam,

Usually Lavasoft only support a certain version of Ad-Aware for about 18 months, and version 8.1 is 24 months old. You need to upgrade Ad-Aware.

Many persons run Ad-Aware Free version 9.x together with other antivirus programs without any problems. Lavasoft has worked hard to make Ad-Aware compatible with all major antivirus programs.

#9 Louis Kam

Louis Kam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:13 PM

Cecilia,

In V9.6 free version, can I set it to NOT run its antivirus & Ad-watch at startup under my slow PC? Under my V8.1.4 version, I update the daily definition manually & scan/remove the malwares weekly.

#10 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7403 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:43 PM

Hi Louis Kam,

Yes, you can disable Ad-Watch and the anti-virus engine.
http://www.lavasoft....product_manuals

#11 Louis Kam

Louis Kam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:16 AM

Cecilia,
Thanks for the assurance. To play safe on my slow PC, I'll leave the just-released V9.6 alone to go for the 2-months old V9.5.1 first (unless I can't disable Ad-Watch and the anti-virus engine on this).
Problem is the assigned download sites have no V9.5.1 though.

Edited by Louis Kam, 02 November 2011 - 02:16 AM.

#12 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7403 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:41 AM

Louis Kam,

The only difference between 9.5.1 and 9.6 is that 9.6 includes a security enhancement to Internet Explorer and Firefox, that is the main program is the same.
http://www.lavasofts...1882-96-update/

#13 Louis Kam

Louis Kam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:31 PM

In this case, I'll play safe to try out the V9.5.1 this year first. Any download link for V.9.5.1 is much appreciated.

#14 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7403 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:03 PM

At the moment you can still find 9.5 on http://download.cnet...4-10045910.html but it might change at any time.

#15 Louis Kam

Louis Kam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:27 AM

Got the V9.5 running with the Antivirus & Ad-watch features being turned off. Will update the definitions to see if it'll get me the V9.5.1 to speed-up my slow PC. Stay tune....

Edited by Louis Kam, 04 November 2011 - 12:28 AM.

#16 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7403 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:35 AM

Nice that it works so far :)

#17 Louis Kam

Louis Kam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:58 PM

Even better, I just successfully updated the V8.1.4's latest definition to 149.923 on my other slow PC this morning too..... Cheers.

#18 ledzef

ledzef

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:10 PM

I had the same problem. Mine didn't update too. My version isn't the latest? Where can I download the latest one. Although, Thanks for the tips. I think it will work... :D

#19 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7403 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:40 PM

Hi ledzef,

According to your other post, you are not using Ad-Aware but McAfee. What do you mean?

#20 Louis Kam

Louis Kam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:52 PM

I just successfully updated the V8.1.4's latest definition to 149.931 on my other slow PC this morning. So far all works as before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users