Photo

turn off the Antivirus component in AdAware?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cska133

cska133

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:54 PM

hallo,

I use AVAST Antivirus and would like to use AdAware too. As I read AdAware has now Antivirus component, so I think I can not use both AV components from AVAST and AdAware?

Is it possible to turn off the Antivirus component in AdAware? Or even to not install it?

#2 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 6775 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:19 AM

As you write, it is bad to have two antivirus programs running at the same time since that can lead to strange conflicts. See http://www.lavasofts...s...st&p=124418 for instruction of how to turn off Ad-Watch, which is the real-time protection of Ad-Aware.

#3 cska133

cska133

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:19 PM

I dont want to turn off the real-time protection, just the AV component. I think these are different things?

#4 cska133

cska133

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:58 PM

or should I wait: http://www.lavasofts...s...st&p=125065

#5 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 6775 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:32 PM

Of course you can wait, but I guess that you have to wait to next major program version.

I believe that the two engines (malware/virus) are connected and it is not possible to turn off only one of the engines.

#6 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 6775 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:07 AM

I received the following answer from LS thekim, employed at Lavasoft:

There shouldn’t be a problem using Ad-Aware together with Avast as long as Files is turned off. He can also turn off the anti-virus part in Settings->Ad-Watch Live->Detection Layers if he doesn’t want to use the anti-virus in real-time. Although we have seen strange conflicts between Ad-Aware and other programs, doing this should hopefully allow him to use both.

I hope that will be a solution for you. :)

#7 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:18 AM

turn off the anti-virus part in Settings->Ad-Watch Live->Detection Layers if he doesn’t want to use the anti-virus in real-time.

I believe this is the setting which, when turned off, re-activates by itself:

http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=30799
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#8 Ibrad

Ibrad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:42 PM

I have not read around the forums in a while but I am personally very glad they may change it back to where its possible to use Ad-Aware as an AntiSpyware only.

#9 Merasya

Merasya

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:59 PM

I have not read around the forums in a while but I am personally very glad they may change it back to where its possible to use Ad-Aware as an AntiSpyware only.

I really and truly hope this is true. I have used Eset for over seven years or more as my antivirus software. I started using Adaware around two and a half years ago. It was great. Both programs worked well together. Then a couple months after reregistering for another two years Lavasoft went and added an antivirus model, one that is unable to be turned off completely without uninstalling Ad-Watch Live, which handles more than just the a/v module. The Ad-Watch Live module was the main part of the software that made the program popular.

The sad thing is Lavasoft does not even have to remove the antivirus module. All they NEED to do is put in an Advanced User option to turn off the antivirus module, and use THAT setting whenever the software restarts, effectively leaving the module turned off. Then advanced users that have other software for handlng viruses do not have to go through all the unnecessary headaches, yet Adaware can still automatically restart the antivirus module for simple users who might forget to turn it back on after finishing whatever they were doing that caused them to turn it off. It is such a simple and eloquent fix, catering to a wider user base. Why they haven't done it already is sheer mind boggling. Do they really think users that have used a product for a longer time than AdAware would truly decide to switch to they version when they are just starting to offer it?

Now if they could also address the problem of automatic updates with regards to the a/v module turned off as well as the computer in do not disturb mode. The software is supposed to use the option selected the first time for any other instances, but of course that is another bug that slipped through.

#10 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 6775 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:30 AM

Malware has developed to more complex programs during the years, and the antivirus and anti-malware programs then need to be more complex to be able to fight back. The probability that two complex programs, trying to deal with the same file at the same time, will collide are much higher than with two simple programs. That is the main reason why Ad-Aware and other antivirus programs sometimes have issues, and not that Ad-Aware has extended its scan for more types of malware. Ad-Aware has contained an antivirus function during more than a year but it wasn't until the release of version 9 in December that more persons started to get issues.

Lavasoft is trying to get Ad-Aware working together with other antivirus programs but it is not always that easy. It would be much easier if the traditional antivirus programs also tried to make it possible to have two programs running at the same time.

See LS Digger Barnes explanation (and solution) about possible conflicts with other security programs in the post http://www.lavasofts...s...st&p=125582

PS. Sorry, if my English is difficult to understand.

#11 Merasya

Merasya

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:07 AM

Ad-Aware has contained an antivirus function during more than a year but it wasn't until the release of version 9 in December that more persons started to get issues.

I do not remember Ad-Aware containing any antivirus module prior to version 9. Of course I might not have upgraded that upgraded when it was released as my license was about to run out in a month or two. I do remember always having a problem every time an upgrade was released. I'd do the upgrade, then uninstall the software, then download the full application, with the upgrade included.

Most advanced users understand that it can get tricky to adequately protrect the computer. Most advanced users had to get multiple programs to do it effectively. I understand Lavasoft wants to add more to their program, but that such an addition should be targetted for mainly the average computer user, without forcing the issue for the advanced users.

In fact, now that I think about it, I can't recall getting very many registery right warning with version 9. I'll have to keep an eye on it when I install anything else. If it isn't working then I won't have to worry about the a/v conflicts after the current license expires, for it was the registery monitor that got me started with Ad-Aware. I'll have to see what is what, luckily I have over a year and a half before I have to bother. Maybe Lavasoft will make improvements. Who knows...

#12 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 6775 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:27 PM

I haven't been in this forum that long, but you can follow the history of version 8 in the topic http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=27833 for example post 4 and 12.

#13 Merasya

Merasya

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:10 AM

I haven't been in this forum that long, but you can follow the history of version 8 in the topic http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=27833 for example post 4 and 12.

That refreshes my memory. If you look at that thread topic you will notice a reference to Eset. The reference was actually a couple of updates prior to the one referenced. I stopped getting the updates about two updates before that update. It just took Lavasoft a while to post the info. The upgrades would not even install. At least 9 installed, so Lavasoft is making some progress. Thanks for the reminder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users