3 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisN

ChrisN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:43 PM

Hi,

Ad-Aware Free version 8.3.4 (with latest updates) is stating that an Ashampoo PowerUp XP Platinum 2 file (puxpman2.exe in my Windows\System32 folder) is Trojan.Win32.Generic.pak!cobra. I have ascertained from Ashampoo that this is a false positive. I have even uninstalled Powerup from my system completely and then downloaded and installed the latest version of the same application from Ashampoo (as they advised) but still Ad-Aware claims the trojan is present and still points to the registry item that points to the suspect file.

Other anti-malware software I run on my system does not detect anything untoward regarding puxpman2.exe.

I have attached the logfile and a zipped copy of the suspect file.

Thank you.

Attached Files

#2 LS Andy

LS Andy

Lavasoft Staff/Forum Overlord

• Root Admin
  • 1530 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:44 AM

Hi ChrisN,

Thanks for your post - we will investigate and report back.

Regards,

Andy
Lavasoft Malware Labs
unsolicited@tenalia.com

#3 LS Andy

LS Andy

Lavasoft Staff/Forum Overlord

• Root Admin
  • 1530 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:07 PM

Hi ChrisN,

This is indeed a false positive and will be corrected in the next definitions update later today.

Regards,

Andy
Lavasoft Malware Labs
unsolicited@tenalia.com

#4 ChrisN

ChrisN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:05 AM

Hi ChrisN,

This is indeed a false positive and will be corrected in the next definitions update later today.

Regards,

Andy
Lavasoft Malware Labs

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your efforts. I can confirm that the latest update for Ad-Aware (downloaded and installed this morning - Tuesday 26 October 2010) has solved the problem and that my puxpman2.exe file is no longer shown as being infected with Trojan.Win32.Generic.pak!cobra.

Best regards, Chris.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users