Photo

how to stop Ad-Aware from loading at Windows startup?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 cska133

cska133

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:02 PM

hallo,

how can I prevent AdAware to not start automaticlly when Windows reboots? There is no option in the AdAware settings?

Using Windows 7.

thanks

#2 Computer wizard

Computer wizard

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:50 AM

Hey there,

try this it should work Start> Run> msconfig and hit enter> in dialog select start up and scroll and and find Ad aware and untick then hit apply and OK ( note you may be prompted to reboot after applying the action )

Cheers

Computer Wizard
~*~The more you interact with your security solution the better protected you are - The less you interact the less protected you are!~*~

Need assistance with Stubborn infections? Create a new topic in - HiJack- This forum
Stumbled upon a false positive? Create a new topic in - False Positive - Ad aware forum

#3 cska133

cska133

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:55 PM

Hey there,

try this it should work Start> Run> msconfig and hit enter> in dialog select start up and scroll and and find Ad aware and untick then hit apply and OK ( note you may be prompted to reboot after applying the action )

Cheers

Computer Wizard

I dont have AdAware there ??? ^_^

#4 cinke

cinke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:41 PM

try Start->Run->services.msc and in the list search "Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service", right click->properties and the start type change from automatic to manual.

In msconfig is not for me Ad-Aware.

Cinke

#5 Computer wizard

Computer wizard

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:16 AM

try Start->Run->services.msc and in the list search "Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service", right click->properties and the start type change from automatic to manual.

In msconfig is not for me Ad-Aware.

Cinke

I wouldn't recommend doing that as it would disable Ad-aware completely and leave cska133 vulnerable if Ad-aware is his/her only protection and would become quite an nuisance to start the service to preform a scan then stop it again.

Thank You

Computer Wizard
~*~The more you interact with your security solution the better protected you are - The less you interact the less protected you are!~*~

Need assistance with Stubborn infections? Create a new topic in - HiJack- This forum
Stumbled upon a false positive? Create a new topic in - False Positive - Ad aware forum

#6 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:40 AM

The msconfig > startup entry may be listed as AAWTray and/or AAWService.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#7 cinke

cinke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:13 AM

May be I am blind, but in msconfig I see Ad-Aware just in Services list, and not in startup list.

Neither AAWTray and AAWService. I see Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service in services list.
I have seen AAWTray when I was Ad-Aware AE.

#8 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:23 PM

Ah, that's right. With 8.3, AAWTray is started via AAWService instead of an msconfig startup entry:

http://www.lavasofts...mp;#entry121701

I guess that means disabling the service is the only way to prevent it from loading at startup. But hopefully executing 8.3 will start the service without having to enable it separately.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#9 cinke

cinke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:52 PM

If you set the start type to manual, the service will be starting when you start Ad-Aware. I have tried already. But if you set the start type to disabled, the service won't start.

#10 cska133

cska133

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 12:26 AM

is it possible that the AAW service sets itself again to "automatic" after an def update, even if it was set to "disabled" before?

#11 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:39 AM

The service status shouldn't change if you download and import the definition file. But I suppose the service could change when using the GUI update or auto-update since they may have programmed that into the code.

#12 cska133

cska133

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:51 PM

I have ment the automatic def update of AAW. After it the seatus was changed back to automatic startup

#13 cinke

cinke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:45 PM

I have ment the automatic def update of AAW. After it the seatus was changed back to automatic startup

Have you got administrator rights when you change the startup from enabled to disabled? But I think, Manual is better than Disabled. Because, if you set Manual, the service will be startinkg with Ad-Aware, and after you closed Ad-Aware, the service will be stopping.

Or one more tip: in msconfig go to services tab, and uncheck the Lavasoft Ad-Aware service.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users