• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rapporman

Rapporman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:08 PM

I recently downloaded the free version of Adaware and it worked just fine. I then received an update notice from Lavasoft to say that a newer version was available, so I went to their Update download page .

However, before I downloaded the update, I was encouraged to clean my registry for FREE before I downloaded the update and as it seemed part of the Lavasoft Update Program I allowed the Cleaner ( Blue somethin!) to scan my registry only to find it was a con, as it scanned my Registry and then asked me to buy the product before it would clean the errors it had supposedly found. I closed the program straight away only to find that now I cannot open Adaware, nor can I uninstall it. When I try to open it via the desktop shortcut or via ALL Programs, all I get is a pop-up saying "Cannot find the resource manager". When I try to uninstall Adaware I get "This application has failed to start because Mia.Lib was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem" I now cannot open Adaware or Uninstall it which is most annoying to say the least.

Obviously the Registry cleaner has affected some files in my registry for which I hold Lavasoft responsible but in the meantime, I would like to know how do I uninstall Adaware. I just wish I had left well alone and ignored the offer of an update.

My OS is XP

#2 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:22 AM

How were you prompted to clean the registry? Did you start from this page, which redirects to mirror download sites?

http://www.lavasoft...._aware_free.php

If not, it sounds like you either went to a rogue website or your browser was hijacked trying to reach the Lavasoft site.

To uninstall Ad-Aware, try Revo free uninstaller (revouninstaller.com). Use the highest setting and let it clean up leftovers. Also, if your system was hijacked, it could be affecting the execution of Ad-Aware files - there are instructions in my signature for posting in the HijackThis forum where somebody can help you diagnose and remove any malware from that fake registry cleaner.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#3 Rapporman

Rapporman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:38 AM

How were you prompted to clean the registry? Did you start from this page, which redirects to mirror download sites?

http://www.lavasoft...._aware_free.php

If not, it sounds like you either went to a rogue website or your browser was hijacked trying to reach the Lavasoft site.

To uninstall Ad-Aware, try Revo free uninstaller (revouninstaller.com). Use the highest setting and let it clean up leftovers. Also, if your system was hijacked, it could be affecting the execution of Ad-Aware files - there are instructions in my signature for posting in the HijackThis forum where somebody can help you diagnose and remove any malware from that fake registry cleaner.

Reply. To be honest, I cannot remember exactly what the website looked like because with Updates it is usually an automatic process and I did not take much notice. However, I really thought at the time I was being taken to a Lavasoft website or at least an approved download one, having simply clicked the Update notice. If the Update notice had been highjacked, it seems odd that it would take me to a download site and enable me to update to Adaware 8, albiet with a dodgy Registry Cleaner. Having tried to replicate the situation I now think you are correct and that I may have been taken to Cnet downloads which does have a Reg cleaner called Uniblue and is the one I am complaining about.

However, there is not much I can do about that now, so I will try the Revo free uninstaller and the Highjack forum.

Many thanks indeed for your prompt reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users