• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 2dazed&confused2c

2dazed&confused2c

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:09 PM

I've tried uninstalling every single part, file, folder of Lavasoft Adaware and re-installing a new downloaded version of the free Adaware 8.3.1 and during a full system scan it locks up and won't go past this file:

{722AAC6D-419F-4e3d-A305-FDCBFBCA1877}

...which is located in...

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\Norton\itbLUReg

Once the scan gets to this file it just sits, scanning and scanning at last check for over 5 five hours, when I try to "stop scan" it does not respond at all.

Any thoughts out there on what is going on? I appreciate any input.

Still dazed...

#2 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:07 AM

Norton has a tamper protection feature which stops other programs from scanning its files. Check this topic to see how to turn off the tamper protection:

http://www.lavasofts...mp;#entry112159

Its a good idea to have only 1 resident protection program running to avoid conflicts like this. When I run scans, I disconnect from the internet and stop all other apps so all system resources are dedicated to scanning as quickly as possible.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#3 smiliey

smiliey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:21 AM

I too am having this same problem. I can do the smart scan without a problem When I do a full scan it locks up. Windows says it is not responding. I have done this several times, even uninstalled it and reinstalled it several times. The automatic up date takes forever, I believe it is doing a scan, I cannot tell for sure. It stops in a state of Limbo and says it is installing 39 files. I am running windows Vista Home Premium, and do not have Norton or McAfee. I have Avast and AVG. and have disabled all resident shields, and this lock up still happens. This has been a very good program until now, I believe with all the upgrades to windows etc, that Ad-Aware is going to go the same direction as the great little firewall program zone alarm. It worked for the longest time then came the upgrades to windows and it no longer worked.

I try to run all my programs at night, and let them have the computer. But when I get up in the AM ad-aware has stopped running. I now do Ad-aware all by itself, with everything else shut down and it still locks up. Is this a glitch, and can it be fixed?

#4 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:53 AM

When I do a full scan it locks up. Windows says it is not responding . . . The automatic up date takes forever, I believe it is doing a scan, I cannot tell for sure. It stops in a state of Limbo and says it is installing 39 files.

Do you get a "shutdown unexpectedly" error message? If so, I'll merge your post to this topic which has already been reported to Lavasoft:

http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=29750

But before that, need to clarify that you're letting Ad-Aware update completely before scanning. If it's installing update files, it's not scanning - the updates take forever, and Lavasoft is working on that. During a scan, the GUI will say "Scanning System" and show which scan mode it's in (Smart, Full, or Profile).
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#5 smiliey

smiliey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:17 PM

Do you get a "shutdown unexpectedly" error message? If so, I'll merge your post to this topic which has already been reported to Lavasoft:

http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=29750

But before that, need to clarify that you're letting Ad-Aware update completely before scanning. If it's installing update files, it's not scanning - the updates take forever, and Lavasoft is working on that. During a scan, the GUI will say "Scanning System" and show which scan mode it's in (Smart, Full, or Profile).

No it just stops scanning The rest of the computer acts normally, Ad-aware just freezes during a full scan, and yes I let it fully update(It then disappears when fully updated). Any other ideas as to why a full scan freezes during a scan? :unsure:

#6 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:19 PM

Not sure what's up. There were problems with previous versions stalling, but they fixed it. Now this latest version uses a different AV engine, so along come new bugs. Hopefully enough people are experiencing this that it's a priority fix.

Reference to similar topic in 8.x Users Forum:

http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=29801

Edited by visitor, 21 August 2010 - 09:42 PM.

#7 zarknoid

zarknoid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:47 PM

I'm running version 8.3.1 and the last full scan to complete was on 8/13/10. I come back to my computer after selecting a full scan and the Adaware screen is all white. Task manager says its not responding. While my mouse is over the screen I get an hourglass, so it's stuck trying to do something. I use Avast and Spybot S&D. But have had no issues before 8/13/10. Did a Microsoft update hose it or was it a Lavasoft update?

#8 zarknoid

zarknoid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:01 PM

I'm running version 8.3.1 and the last full scan to complete was on 8/13/10. I come back to my computer after selecting a full scan and the Adaware screen is all white. Task manager says its not responding. While my mouse is over the screen I get an hourglass, so it's stuck trying to do something. I use Avast and Spybot S&D. But have had no issues before 8/13/10. Did a Microsoft update hose it or was it a Lavasoft update?

Another bit of info has come to my attention. The following message is in Event Viewer under Application:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 8/20/2010
Time: 10:17:44 AM
User: N/A
Computer: OWNER-A15F2F73E
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Unhandled Exception.

#9 flourgrader

flourgrader

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:26 AM

I am using O/S Windows 7
I too have a problem with ad aware version 8.3.1 free version.
I have been running it for months.
After updating it 2 weeks ago it started locking up on Full Scan.
error message is ( Ad-Aware was shut down unexpectedly and has generated an error Report ) . I can do a smart scan no problems.
I have Norton Anti virus on my laptop but that's been on there for ages and
has never caused a problem with ad aware.
I have never had to disable tamper in Norton to do a Full system Scan with ad aware.
Even if I do disable it ad ware still locks up on Full System Scan.
It even locks up when the laptop is run in safe mode !
My troubles all started with an update from ad Aware !
Hope they FIX it soon otherwise I will have to uninstall it !
Never mind buying the Pro version.

#10 2dazed&confused2c

2dazed&confused2c

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:46 AM

Well, I've tried the Norton uncheck tamper thing, even tried shutting down Norton entirely before an Adaware scan, off-line of course, and Adaware still locks up during full scan. Tried un-installing every single trace of Adaware and re-installing new free version, still same, except now it locks up on other Norton files.
The last time my computer was acting funny, there was a trojan that Adaware kept finding but could do nothing about and my Norton did not even find it.
I am wondering if this is the same issue...an unknown trojan, virus, etc.
I update my Norton regularly everyday and it runs in back ground always when online.
I've removed ALL unnecessary background programs that I do not need, including all auto this and that crap.
This problem began with my next to last update from Adaware, before no problem scanning...after Trojan found and removed.
Any ideas from anyone, including you Adaware people?????????????????
Still dazed...
was happy with Adaware till now...

#11 zarknoid

zarknoid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:41 PM

Ok, once my screen saver was disabled, the Adaware screen now displays information and is not blank. Basically last time it ran about 1 hour 42 minutes and just plain froze during a full scan. To me it appears like a memory leak. The above error event (from my last post) appears in the event log at the time of the freeze.

#12 tommills

tommills

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:30 PM

Hey guys I was having similar problems with full system scan hanging around 10 to 40 seconds into scan, I'll link to my post, visitor had me to turn norton tamper protection off as well it worked on my last scan but reappeared the next time so i went through process of elimination. I think I found my problem and I am able to reproduce it again and again, I have a file called "Lsburnwatcher.exe" its associated with lightscribe. When its running in task manager ad-aware hangs but when disabled ad-aware scans fine and finishes. Hope this helps, if you have lsburnwatcher try disabling it and scanning again.

Here is my post: http://www.lavasofts...mp;#entry121947

Edited by tommills, 28 August 2010 - 07:34 PM.

#13 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:51 PM

Thanks tommills. I've quoted your info here in your original thread as well since it had been closed.

#14 flourgrader

flourgrader

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:15 AM

Hello,
I have read all the threads in the forum on Ad Aware 8.3.1 locking up
while doing a full system scan. Well I am in the same predicament as everyone
else. I have tried all the ideas offered on here and tried a lot of my own and what I have Googled
with NO success. I understand Ad Aware is working on a fix for this problem !
So my Question is does anyone know when Ad Aware will release this fix
to the general public ? ?
Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users