13 replies to this topic

#1 Deano

Deano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:47 AM

In the Adwatch Live! Tab I'm able to click registry and network tabs but on another computer with the Free version It doesn't let me click them as they are greyed out and not able to be clicked how could it work for one and not the other is wierd.

I thought this would of been fixed in version 8.3.1 update but it hasn't been

It's really annoying as i get pop-ups from Adaware bout it :)

It says it off but when i click it says Unlock this Feature with Pro

Regards Deano

http://i37.tinypic.com/2mgmqea.jpg

#2 Computer wizard

Computer wizard

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:04 PM

If i understand your paragraph correctly Lavasoft is aware of this issue and is trying too replicate this problem themselves to try and fix this.

Thank You

Computer Wizard
~*~The more you interact with your security solution the better protected you are - The less you interact the less protected you are!~*~

Need assistance with Stubborn infections? Create a new topic in - HiJack- This forum
Stumbled upon a false positive? Create a new topic in - False Positive - Ad aware forum

#3 brusoft

brusoft

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:50 AM

I have never had the Registry and Network options available in Ad-Watch Live!, only Processes. I always assumed they were for the paid version only. Knowing those options should be active and since others using the free version have these options I have to ask why I don't?

#4 Computer wizard

Computer wizard

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:26 AM

I have never had the Registry and Network options available in Ad-Watch Live!, only Processes. I always assumed they were for the paid version only. Knowing those options should be active and since others using the free version have these options I have to ask why I don't?

Free version only has process enabled, the reason some users do have some of the options active as its a problem/bug with the program and lavasoft is aware of this issue as i stated above.

Thank You

Computer Wizard
~*~The more you interact with your security solution the better protected you are - The less you interact the less protected you are!~*~

Need assistance with Stubborn infections? Create a new topic in - HiJack- This forum
Stumbled upon a false positive? Create a new topic in - False Positive - Ad aware forum

#5 Litgard

Litgard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:57 PM

I've just discovered that Anti-Virus is now part of Ad-aware Free, so does this mean that it will interfere with Avast Anti-virus?

Like previous posters, only "Processes" is on in real-time protection.

I have not noticed any poor performance with the computer, but I have always believed that you can only one anti-virus program running!

After many years of using Ad-aware, I fear I may have to stop using it, as the updating is so slow compared to Avast and the other "on demand" anti-spyware I'm using.

#6 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:12 AM

Litgard, your right about running only 1 resident protection to avoid conflicts. The free version only has processes protection, but if you haven't noticed any problems, you should be OK. The free anti-virus is an extended engine scanner only - no resident protection - Lavasoft recently pointed out the EICAR test file will only be detected when scanning with the free version, but you need Pro or Total Security with full resident file protection to catch it as it enters the system.

In the Ad-Watch settings, you can also choose to uncheck the behavior-based detection and/or the anti-virus engine during scans, in case you're worried about a conflict there.

Edited by visitor, 18 September 2010 - 10:16 AM.

Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#7 Litgard

Litgard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:51 PM

Litgard, your right about running only 1 resident protection to avoid conflicts. The free version only has processes protection, but if you haven't noticed any problems, you should be OK. The free anti-virus is an extended engine scanner only - no resident protection - Lavasoft recently pointed out the EICAR test file will only be detected when scanning with the free version, but you need Pro or Total Security with full resident file protection to catch it as it enters the system.

In the Ad-Watch settings, you can also choose to uncheck the behavior-based detection and/or the anti-virus engine during scans, in case you're worried about a conflict there.

Thank you very much for your reply.
I'll carry on using it with real-time protection then.
Perhaps I'll disable Avast when I scan with Ad-Aware, as I never use the computer when scanning anyway.
Thanks again.

#8 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:25 AM

Yeah, that's what I do. When I scan, I want it to finish ASAP, so I disconnect from the internet and turn off all apps except for the one scanning. It makes a big difference - if there's competition for system resources, scans can take 3-4x longer.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#9 sixdbs

sixdbs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:36 PM

So, does this mean that it doesn't matter that the Anti-Virus Engine in Ad-Watch Live! keeps switching itself back on periodically as discussed here?

http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=29867

#10 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:10 AM

So, does this mean that it doesn't matter that the Anti-Virus Engine in Ad-Watch Live! keeps switching itself back on periodically as discussed here?

http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=29867

I don't think it matters as much with the free version. Since free only monitors processes in real-time and uses the anti-virus engine for scanning. But not remembering the settings is still a bug that needs to be fixed. I think it would only matter if turning on the anti-virus causes a conflict with another program, which would be apparent if turning it off gets rid of the conflict. This could happen if you scan with Ad-Aware anti-virus on, while other security software is running real-time - that's why I always disconnect from the internet and turn off everything but the scanning program.

#11 LS Jeffery

LS Jeffery

Valued Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:08 AM

Hello everyone

We have issued an update today that should resolve this issue for all of you... Please let us know if it does not.

To make sure you have the latest updates, check that the version number in the about box is: 8.3.5

Regards,
Jeff - Lavasoft

#12 sixdbs

sixdbs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 01:00 AM

Sorry to say that version 8.3.5 does not resolve the issue of the Anti-Virus Engine in Ad-Watch Live! switching itself back on.

#13 sixdbs

sixdbs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:13 AM

Sorry to say that version 8.3.5 does not resolve the issue of the Anti-Virus Engine in Ad-Watch Live! switching itself back on.

....and nor does version 9.0.0

#14 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:00 AM

Thanks for the info. I've updated the bug thread to Lavasoft to let them know this is an ongoing issue with both 8.3.5 and 9.0.0.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users