• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Phil - Tijeras

Phil - Tijeras

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:21 AM

I have an admittedly old and slow computer. But it's not that slow!
Computer processor: x86 Family 6 Model 3 Stepping 3
I installed Ad-Aware 8.3.0.0 on July 11 and started a scan.
It's been running for 105 hours, and has scanned about 16 GB of data (I know it's more than 14.7 GB and less than 19.07 GB.) It is still running. CPU utilization is 90+%.
In addition to Ad-Aware, I have Task Manager running, Windows Explorer open (not doing anything) and a Word doc open (I save an occasional screen shot on it; aside from that it is not doing anything)
Ad-Aware has run faster before.
Any ideas if there is a problem with the scan speed of 8.3.0?

#2 Computer wizard

Computer wizard

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:31 AM

Hey there Phil - Tijeras, are you performing a smart or full scan?
~*~The more you interact with your security solution the better protected you are - The less you interact the less protected you are!~*~

Need assistance with Stubborn infections? Create a new topic in - HiJack- This forum
Stumbled upon a false positive? Create a new topic in - False Positive - Ad aware forum

#3 Phil - Tijeras

Phil - Tijeras

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:07 AM

Full scan

#4 Computer wizard

Computer wizard

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:37 AM

Ok, perform a track sweep using Ad-aware and follow that by a disk cleanup, then try and perform a smart scan, post back how that goes.

-Thank You
~*~The more you interact with your security solution the better protected you are - The less you interact the less protected you are!~*~

Need assistance with Stubborn infections? Create a new topic in - HiJack- This forum
Stumbled upon a false positive? Create a new topic in - False Positive - Ad aware forum

#5 Phil - Tijeras

Phil - Tijeras

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:28 PM

as you suggested, I did the Track Sweep and did a disc cleanup on C:
Then I ran Smart Scan.
Smart Scan started at 11:17 pm last night, and finished sometime between 10:30 am and 11:40 am this morning (I wasn't at the computer when it finished. Smart Scan ran almost 12 hours.
It found 36 objects, TAI=3.
Total of 20685 files scanned.
It was a surprise to find the 36 objects that had to be eliminated, because nothing was done on the computer in question after the full scan which I wrote about. I terminated that full scan, after it ran over the C: drive through the J: drive, found 1 object with TAI=10, which was dealt with automatically by Ad-Aware.
- background info: I have 12 logical drives on my computer - C: through N:.

QUESTION: when should I run a Smart Scan, and when should I run a Full Scan?

additional background: the computer on which I'm running the Ad=Aware scans is a backup computer. It has been getting slower and slower, and it now too slow to use. This slow performance might be causing some of the problems with Ad-Aware, too. It's running Win2000. I am seriously considering reformatting the C: drive and reinstalling the software that I need on it.
I did a disk defrag on C: just before running the Smart Scan; didn't help with speed. I'm running Avira antivirus on it.

Thanks for your help.

#6 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:28 PM

Here are the system requirements for Ad-Aware:

http://www.lavasoft....php?t=techspecs

Out of curiosity, you stopped the full scan which found 1 object. After that, did you notice if the boot cleaner kicked in to finish the job?

FWIW, I use Anniversary Edition and a Smart Scan takes 1 min to scan 6,000 objects. Full scan takes 90 min to scan 270,000 objects. I think AE is faster scanning, but the new versions are more thorough due to scanning engine improvements.

Since I surf safe and don't get infected that often, I run Smart Scans M-F with the definition updates and a Full Scan monthly.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#7 Computer wizard

Computer wizard

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:07 AM

it could be a system requirements issue but possibly there is a way too set the scan controls to skip scanning the archives maybe under the profile scan? , slow PC aside archives are the common course to slow scan speeds.

#8 Phil - Tijeras

Phil - Tijeras

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:01 AM

Visitor:
regarding: fast scans with Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition: My experience on the computer in question was that previous versions of Ad-Aware seemed to scan faster.
I did not notice that the boot cleaner kicked in to finish the job ... I don't think it did.

Computer Wizard and Visitor:
I ran a scan for viruses using Avira Scan (same computer)
it scanned 237,985 objects in 35 minutes.
(vs. Ad-Aware Smart Scan 20,685 files in 12 hours),
the evidence seems to be that Ad-Aware 8.3.0 is a slow scanner.

#9 Computer wizard

Computer wizard

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:31 AM

i will turn on my laptop this evening and try and see what i can come up with for you and see if i can turn archive scanning off.

Thank You

Computer Wizard

Edited by Computer wizard, 20 July 2010 - 07:33 AM.

#10 Computer wizard

Computer wizard

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:20 PM

Phil - Tijeras i turned on my laptop just before too try and come up with a solution too your issue, a smart scan by default as shown in the config doesn't scan archives, so since you had already performed a smart scan we can safely rule that out. there are a few things that i would like to try and rule out before i make my final diagnosis. couple of things came to mind that could be causing this.

1. System requirements

2. Malware related
- Due too windows 2000 unsupported by Microsoft there might be some unsolved vulnerabilities in the system that may have been exploited and used to infect your system (i surely hope this isn't the case :S )

3. uncleaned junk files

Lets try and eliminate System requirements so click start>run and dxdiag ( hope that works in win2000 im not sure ) and copy in your next reply the Processor and RAM memory ( not quite sure why its shown as RAM memory considering RAM stands for random access memory anyway lol )

Thank You

Computer Wizard

#11 Phil - Tijeras

Phil - Tijeras

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:59 AM

Computer Wizard:
Thanks for your continuing interest.
I Ran dxdiag on the computer in question - it does run on Win2000.
results:
- Processor: Intel Pentium II MMX ~260 MHz
- RAM: 192 MB RAM

#12 Phil - Tijeras

Phil - Tijeras

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:01 AM

Regarding Win2000 unsupported by Microsoft:
Microsoft continues to issue security updates for Win 2000. I keep up to date on them.

#13 Computer wizard

Computer wizard

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:45 AM

Regarding Win2000 unsupported by Microsoft:
Microsoft continues to issue security updates for Win 2000. I keep up to date on them.

I'm glad it's still supported :) at least its not likely to be malware related. Your RAM is less than the minimum requirement as the RAM required is 200mb yours is 192mb, so that could be the issue. try running a full scan or smart scan in safe mode. this will eliminate some processes running the essentials for the PC to operate.

#14 Phil - Tijeras

Phil - Tijeras

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:20 PM

I'm glad it's still supported :) at least its not likely to be malware related. Your RAM is less than the minimum requirement as the RAM required is 200mb yours is 192mb, so that could be the issue. try running a full scan or smart scan in safe mode. this will eliminate some processes running the essentials for the PC to operate.

Thanks for trying. I appreciate your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users