• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 freeageless

freeageless

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:09 AM

I have a relatively new windows 7 desktop and I installed Ad-Aware the latest edition of the free software. Mistake. I also installed Spybot. I noticed that all of a sudden, I could not control the computer. It would go to different sites, even opening Internet Explorer and closing it. I thought it was a virus. I first ran Microsoft Security Essentials. It found nothing. Then I ran Ad-Aware, and it found nothing. Finally I ran Spybot, and it found nothing. I tried System Restore, and restored it to a previous date, and that did not help. The computer was out of control. I also noticed that Ad-Aware kept automatically opening and closing. Finally after about 8 hours, I decided to delete Ad-Aware. Bingo, that was the problem. After I deleted Ad-Aware the computer worked perfectly. To be on the safe side, I also deleted Spybot. Let the users of Ad-Aware be aware.

Edited by freeageless, 30 June 2010 - 02:43 PM.

#2 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:46 AM

How did you narrow it down to a conflict with MS Security Essentials? I know Spybot warns of a conflict with Ad-Aware, so maybe it was having both of them installed. Also, having more than 1 resident, real-time app may wreak havoc. In that case, you could turn off Spybot and Ad-Aware and use them for scanning only.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#3 freeageless

freeageless

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:52 PM

I am not that computer literate, so it took me about 8 hours of trying different things to narrow it down to a conflict with MS Security Essentials. It was trial and error. You are correct, I "could turn off Spybot and Ad-Aware and use them for scanning only." However, I don't want to take any chances and have to go through all this type of hassle again. It was simpler for me just to delete Ad-Aware and Spybot.

#4 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:07 AM

OK, if you're happy with the uninstall, then I'll consider your topic resolved as far as Ad-Aware. I'll close it now, but if it needs to be reopened, PM me or any valued member.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users