• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 ret

ret

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:17 PM

I was told not to run Adaware as it is running all the time. Therefore i only ran it when i installed the new version. I am 76 yrs old & I have used it for yrs & I would run the fast scan about once a wk.
Now I don't run it at all. Another problem that i have w/adaware is every couple of wks the icon on the Tashbar Disappears & when I click on the Icon on my screen it says it is no longer active,so i go to Add & Remove programs & uninstall & reinstall. I don't no what the problem is, because as i said i am 76 yrs old and i am not a PC whiz since i got my first compurt in 2000 & i am self taught.

#2 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:03 AM

Are you using the Free version, Plus, or Pro?

If Ad-Aware is your only security, you should keep the Ad-Watch Live turned on so it monitors your system in real-time. Turning off Ad-Watch may be why the sys tray icon disappears. Also, make sure to update to the latest version 8.2.6.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#3 ret

ret

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:01 PM

Are you using the Free version, Plus, or Pro?

If Ad-Aware is your only security, you should keep the Ad-Watch Live turned on so it monitors your system in real-time. Turning off Ad-Watch may be why the sys tray icon disappears. Also, make sure to update to the latest version 8.2.6.

I have AVG for my anti virus & also Spy bot that i run usually every other day around supper time. My AVG runs every day @ 9:00AM. What do you mean about keeping AD-WATCH turned on. I am 76 & i don't understand what you are talking about

#4 ret

ret

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:33 PM

I have AVG for my anti virus & also Spy bot that i run usually every other day around supper time. My AVG runs every day @ 9:00AM. What do you mean about keeping AD-WATCH turned on. I am 76 & i don't understand what you are talking about

I am using the Free Version of AVG & Spybot.

#5 ret

ret

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:47 PM

I am using the free version of AVG,Spybot,& adaware. When i had the old version I used to run Adaware ,the smart scan every few days, but when i installed the new version i was told to leave it alonr,that it is running all the time,so i never run it. My AVG runs every day @ 9:00am, & i run Spybot every day or 2. I also run disc cleanup,prefetch,& i empty my recycle bin every day as i was told to do. I run defrag about every 3or 4 wks.,& so far have had no viruses. I am 76 yrs old & got my first computer in 2000, & i am self taught,no schools or classes. I have an Icon on my desktop & one one the taskbar in the lower rt. by the clock. Every couple of wks the Icon on the taskbar will be gone, & then i have uninstall & reinstall Adaware as it will say it is no longer active. I need someones help as i am totally lost. Thanks

#6 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

Valued Member and HJT Analyst

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:22 AM

Hi ret,

Like I posted in your thread here:
http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=29510

I only run spybot about once a day around supper time, My anti virus is AVG free which runs every day @ 9:00 a am.

Along with AVG and Spybot, I recommend downloading Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, which is a program that will scan your computer for malware; the Pro version includes real-time protection.

Also, SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster are good additions to your security arsenal as well.

My question is, 1 should i run it some time

Yes, even though its running in real-time protecting your computer, it is still good to run a SmartScan every week in case something slips by real-time protection. What version (Free, Plus, Pro) do you have?

2 why does it just become inactive every couple of wks., & then I have in uninstall & reinstall.

What becomes inactive?
PM for support will not be answered, please post in the appropriate forum, thank you.

Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#7 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:02 AM

SpySentinel, she's using the Free version of Ad-Aware.

I was told not to run Adaware as it is running all the time. Therefore i only ran it when i installed the new version.

What do you mean about keeping AD-WATCH turned on. I don't understand what you are talking about

Ret, from your first post, I thought you were saying that you keep Ad-Watch turned off (the real-time protection). As long as Ad-Watch is running, and you didn't turn it off, then you're OK.

Also, please don't post your questions in multiple topics, especially one started by another member - post back into your original topic so that we don't have to duplicate our answers as SpySentinel has done here and in the other one.

Normally, Ad-Aware should not become unresponsive and the tray icon should not disappear. Instead of uninstalling and reinstalling, rebooting the system should restart Ad-Aware. Go to Start --> Run --> and type services.msc. When the list opens, find "Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service." It should be set to Startup Type "Automatic." If it is not, double-click on the service, choose "Automatic" from the drop-down menu, and click "OK."
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#8 ret

ret

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:14 PM

Hi ret,

Like I posted in your thread here:
http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=29510
Along with AVG and Spybot, I recommend downloading Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, which is a program that will scan your computer for malware; the Pro version includes real-time protection.

Also, SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster are good additions to your security arsenal as well.
Yes, even though its running in real-time protecting your computer, it is still good to run a SmartScan every week in case something slips by real-time protection. What version (Free, Plus, Pro) do you have?
What becomes inactive?

The Icon on the taskbar disappears & when that happens if you click on Araware, it wisay it is inactive.
I also ck'd Services.msc & Adaware is on automatic.

#9 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:57 AM

When you checked services.msc, was it when the icon had disappeared and the program was inactive? If not, the next time it happens, see what the status of the service is before uninstalling/reinstalling.

Also, go into Ad-Aware advanced mode settings and make sure to check the notification area icon.

Really, I have a feeling this is a conflict with AVG and/or Spybot if you're running all 3 with real-time protection - it's generally advised to run only one. You can narrow it down by process of elimination by turning off AVG's resident protection, and if the problem persists, try turning off Spybot's TeaTimer and SDHelper. Or you can leave them both on and turn off Ad-Watch in the Ad-Aware settings, and use Ad-Aware for on-demand scanning only.

When I turned off AVG and Spybot, I noticed my system was much more responsive - but I have Ad-Aware Pro which has more protection than the Free version, so in your case it's probably safer to keep AVG and Spybot and turn off Ad-Aware since the Free version has only processes protection and no anti-virus. The new free version of Ad-Aware due out in July will include anti-virus.

Edited by visitor, 02 July 2010 - 07:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users