Photo

My Ad-Aware will not load at all. Please help!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 xJenniferx

xJenniferx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:16 AM

Yesterday whenever I turned my computer on my Ad-Aware popped up and said it was searching for updates. Then it said an error had occured, but I didn't read it, which I probably should have. I thought I had accidently clicked on Ad-Aware so I didn't think anything of it. Today, it did the same thing, but now I don't have access to it at all. I clicked on it and it says loading... It's been on load for the passed 30 minutes.
What should I do?
What do you think could have happened?
Thanks! :)

#2 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:24 AM

It sounds like it bombed out during the update download. Instead of trying to open Ad-Aware, try updating by right-clicking the tray icon or using the start menu. You may need to uninstall/reinstall as a last option. Also, if you have Plus or Pro paid version, you can contact Lavasoft Customer Support via the link in my signature.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#3 xJenniferx

xJenniferx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:49 AM

I tried to update it by the start menu since I don't have the icon in the corner anymore and it said it was already up to date. So, I tried opening it and it's doing the same thing. It keeps trying to update, but then shuts down after a few minutes.

#4 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:28 AM

Do you use Free, Plus, or Pro? Also, are you running any other security program with real-time protection?

Edited by visitor, 11 June 2010 - 06:30 AM.

Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#5 Beatles4

Beatles4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:28 AM

Press Ctrl Alt Delete and go to the tab where it says applications, then look for Ad Aware, right click, and go to process, once you found the processes right click and end process tree, then close the Windows task manager, and reload Adware, this should do the trick!

Btw I get this a lot on both my computer and laptop, I also notice how much longer it takes with each update, this is how I know that trick above too.

~Beatles~ :-)

#6 xJenniferx

xJenniferx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:24 PM

Do you use Free, Plus, or Pro? Also, are you running any other security program with real-time protection?

I use the free version.
I have Norton 360, Spybot Search, and Malware Bytes.

#7 xJenniferx

xJenniferx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:32 PM

Press Ctrl Alt Delete and go to the tab where it says applications, then look for Ad Aware, right click, and go to process, once you found the processes right click and end process tree, then close the Windows task manager, and reload Adware, this should do the trick!

Btw I get this a lot on both my computer and laptop, I also notice how much longer it takes with each update, this is how I know that trick above too.

~Beatles~ :-)

What exactly will that do? I'm just wondering because I don't want to mess up my computer and not be able to use it, since I take online classes and stuff.
Thanks. :)

#8 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:42 PM

Try Beatles' suggestion to see if it works for you too. He describes opening the task manager and ending the process, a common procedure when an application becomes unresponsive. It's safe, just make sure you click Ad-Aware only and nothing else.

I was going to recommend closing Norton, Spybot, and MBAM two at a time to see if one of them was conflicting. It's usually recommended to only run 1 real-time, resident protection for this reason.

Edited by visitor, 11 June 2010 - 01:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users