Photo

I can't uninstall version 7.1.0.10 (Free)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 inquiringmind

inquiringmind

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:28 PM

Hi all,
I really hope someone can help me. I tried to run the Ad-Aware Free...I think it's 2008 but it says version 7.1.0.10 , and couldn't. So then, I decided as I couldn't update, or do anything else, I'd try to uninstall it and install the latest Free versionI keep getting this error message...

Error 1921
Service LavaSoft Adaware Service (aawservice) couldn't be stopped. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to stop system services.

So, what do I do now? :P I can't connect with you guys, I'm assuming it's because you don't run support for this anymore? However, where does that leave me? I'd like to get it off my computer, and I'm willing to upgrade, but I'm stuck going around in circles with these error reports.
So...any help appreciated....I'm somewhat computer savvy, but not THAT techy! Please if you reply, speak to me in terms I can understand! Thank you in advance.

#2 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:17 PM

Yes, Ad-Aware 2008 is version 7.1. Technically, there is no Lavasoft support for free versions - they stopped support for 2007 last year, and it looks like now also for 2008. It sounds like 8.2.3 doesn't install over the top of 7.1. You may even have a folder for both versions in the Lavasoft program files folder and in add/remove programs (8.2 is substantially different with new features). Try uninstalling using Revo Free Uninstaller (revouninstaller.com) set on the highest setting, and let it clean up remnants after the initial uninstall. Then, when installing 8.2 do not install the email scanner if given the option - it doesn't work right and Lavasoft plans on discontinuing the feature later. If it doesn't give you the option, or installs anyways, turn off the email scanner in the Ad-Aware settings and Outlook add-ons, and uninstall the email scanner in add/remove programs.

Edited by visitor, 01 June 2010 - 07:18 PM.

Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#3 inquiringmind

inquiringmind

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:32 PM

Thanks Visitor for the reply! :P
I downloaded the revouninstaller as you suggested, but then I saw it was 14.5mb of space needed, and my hard drive is pretty full right now....I'm in the process of trying to pare down my millions of files! I don't think I dare install it, as I think it's too much...but was wondering if there was any other solution?
Thanks again.

#4 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:19 PM

Wow, if you're that low on free space, it can cause unpredictable problems since Windows needs some room to work with for the page swap file, i.e. virtual memory where the HDD can be used as temporary RAM when necessary. Also, you probably haven't defragged in a while since you need at least 15% free space.

However, I'm not sure if the error 1921 is related to low free space. I've only seen the error once here, and my knowledgable commrade casey_boy recommended uninstalling the old version with Revo and reinstalling the new version.

Note, you may need to clear up some space anyways since I'm sure version 8.2 will need more space than 7.1, although it might not be too much. To clear up space, be sure to clear all your temp files and browser caches, they can get rather large. Also, as long as your system has been stable, you can turn off system restore to delete all the old restore points, then turn it back on to create a single, new restore point. On my system, each restore point is about 25-50 mb.

Then, instead of using an uninstaller, you can do a manual clean uninstall. I'll post instructions, but be careful anytime you start deleting stuff from the registry:

Uninstall Programs Manually

Just because Windows XP has the Add/Remove Programs feature it doesn't mean your application will appear in the list. Furthermore, even if it does appear, it's no guarantee that the uninstall feature will work. When you run across one of these situations the items listed below will help in getting rid of the application. Be aware that these steps may not remove everything associated with the application and can impact other applications on the computer. Have a backup or restore point and use caution.

Find the directory for the application and delete all the files in the directory. Delete the directory.

Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE and find the folder for the application. Delete the folder.

Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE and find the folder for the application. Delete the folder.

To remove the application entry from Add/Remove Programs (if present) open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and find the folder for the application. Delete the folder.

also check:
SOFTWARE\Classes\Drive\shell\ for program or company name
SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shell\ for program or company name

Some applications have Services attached to them. If this is the case, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services, locate and delete the service.

In Windows Explorer, navigate to the individual user settings and delete program references. Common places to check would be:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs and delete relevant entries.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup and delete relevant entries.
C:\Documents and Settings\%YourUserID%\Start Menu\Programs and delete relevant entries.
[Do this for each User ID listed]
C:\Documents and Settings\%YourUserID%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup and delete relevant entries.
[Do this for each User ID listed]

If no entries were found in the previous step and the application launches automatically, navigate to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
and delete the entry.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#5 inquiringmind

inquiringmind

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:50 PM

Hi Visitor,
Thanks for taking the time to help me! :P I did what you said and deleted my old restore points and created a new one...it freed up about 3GB of room, so a big thank you! I have been cleaning out some old files, but my biggest problem is that I have tons of image files on board, and a couple of software programs, that eat up space. I'm an artist and photographer, and design cards and other items on the internet, so keep a lot of templates and images. I know I have duplicates in my 2-3 image software programs, and I'm going to have to bite the bullet and delete the copies. I have bought an external hard drive, and started copying them to disc to remedy the problem. I now have 20.7GB of room on the hard drive. I did a defrag not too long ago actually, and I do try and do a disc clean up etc. whenever I remember!
The instructions you have left for me seem complicated, as I'm not a computer geek by any stretch...wish I was! when I get some real time to concentrate, I'll try what you've suggested...as I'd really like to get rid of the old version.
Thanks...if I get stuck I'll be back for more help~I really appreciate it! :)

Edited by inquiringmind, 02 June 2010 - 06:52 PM.

#6 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:57 PM

Well, now that you've freed up a lot of space, just install Revo Free Uninstaller and use that to uninstall Ad-Aware - much easier than doing it manually. You can uninstall Revo afterwards, but it's a relatively small program and much better than using most software's factory uninstallers which often leave crap behind.

Also, there's software out there that will scan your system looking for dupicate files - not just file names, but actual files - designed for users like you who have a ton of images.

#7 inquiringmind

inquiringmind

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:49 AM

Thank you, thank you for all your help...I'll let you know how I get on! :P

Edited by inquiringmind, 03 June 2010 - 03:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users