• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 joesmoe

joesmoe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:52 PM

My Ad-aware started to download an update last week and it never finished. I had to restart the computer and now Ad-aware will only open and say loading and thats as far it goes. I have even uninstalled it and reinstalled and still does the same thing.
Thanks for any help.

#2 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:40 PM

First, try doing an update by right-clicking the tray icon or using the start menu. If that doesn't work, you may need to do a clean uninstall using WICU or Revo:

http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=24927

Also, there's a possibility you're infected with something which affects execution of Ad-Aware. If you do a clean uninstall and reinstall and still have a problem, you should follow the instructions in my signature for posting in the HijackThis forum where somebody can help you diagnose/remove any malware.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#3 joesmoe

joesmoe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:21 PM

First, try doing an update by right-clicking the tray icon or using the start menu. If that doesn't work, you may need to do a clean uninstall using WICU or Revo:

http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=24927

Also, there's a possibility you're infected with something which affects execution of Ad-Aware. If you do a clean uninstall and reinstall and still have a problem, you should follow the instructions in my signature for posting in the HijackThis forum where somebody can help you diagnose/remove any malware.

I used the Revo to unintsall, however I'm not sure it worked correctly. After the uninstall when I reinstalled it I did not have to enter the serial number or anything and it is still not allowing me to open it up, it just states loading. I also tried to update from the item tray but it would not update it just opened and never loaded any new update. Any advise?

Edited by joesmoe, 11 May 2010 - 05:24 PM.

#4 cressy

cressy

Valued Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:15 PM

Did you reboot your computer after uninstall of Ad-Aware? Did you use Revo on its highest setting, Advanced uninstall mode? Also after Ad-Aware installs the installer should restart your computer to complete the install.

cressy
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

Windows XP Home sp2 with AVG Free , Outpost Firewall , Ad-Aware & Spybot
Did you know that XP with sp2 is coming to the end of its support cycle and you need to get sp3 for continued support from Microsoft

#5 joesmoe

joesmoe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:11 PM

Did you reboot your computer after uninstall of Ad-Aware? Did you use Revo on its highest setting, Advanced uninstall mode? Also after Ad-Aware installs the installer should restart your computer to complete the install.

cressy

I did these things, now what should I try?

#6 cressy

cressy

Valued Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:50 PM

It looks like something else is going on so your best option now is to follow visitor's other suggestion and make sure that no malware has found its way onto your system . Follow these Instructions for posting to the Hijack This Forum. There a Volunteer Security Adviser will assist you.

cressy

Windows XP Home sp2 with AVG Free , Outpost Firewall , Ad-Aware & Spybot
Did you know that XP with sp2 is coming to the end of its support cycle and you need to get sp3 for continued support from Microsoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users