• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cuc

Cuc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:48 PM

I would like to know is Ad-Aware Pro manufactured by Lavasoft , because program have AVIRA AntiVir core , and Sunbelt's CounterSpy Anti rootkit and AntySpyware engine ,
as well as VIPRE Threat detection core v. 3.2.2072.2 .
Or Lavasoft is just compiler and reseller software from above mentioned software makers. By the way , I think that problems with Pro vesion causes CounterSpy core v.3.12838.0 ,
latest v. is 4.0.3275.0 . And by independent AV test made by Virus Bulletin in April 2010 , Lavasoft's Ad-Aware Pro Internet Security fail their tests . Is it a good computer defense or joke ? :huh:
Cuc , Croatia

#2 cressy

cressy

Valued Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:00 PM

Ad-Aware Pro Internet Security
anti-virus + anti-spyware + anti-rootkit

Gothenburg, Sweden (October 13, 2009) Well-known anti-spyware pioneer Lavasoft today announced the global release of Ad-Aware Internet Security with virus, spyware, and rootkit protection, the latest version of their flagship product that combines leading anti-spyware technology with traditional anti-virus detection for comprehensive malware protection against cyber threats.

I'm just a volunteer so i'm not privy to the programming details that you ask for.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.
Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.
Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.
Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

Windows XP Home sp2 with AVG Free , Outpost Firewall , Ad-Aware & Spybot
Did you know that XP with sp2 is coming to the end of its support cycle and you need to get sp3 for continued support from Microsoft

#3 cressy

cressy

Valued Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:31 PM

As for it being a joke, i don't think so or i would not use it. I don't put much stock in reports about how well one product does over another because i have found such reports to be biased. I use what has proven itself over time. For instance, I even found on Lavasoft site in a recent News Letter, a comparison of different companies products that is very biased against AVG. It shows that AVG takes 7 times longer to do a scan than Ad-Aware which i can tell you is not true from my own experience. I can scan both hdd with Ad-Aware in 75 min and it takes AVG just 90 minutes to scan both hdd. That is a little longer but not 7 times longer.

Just make sure that you get your Ad-Aware from Lavasoft product page so as to make sure that you are not getting one of the rouge programs that uses a name that is similar to Ad-Aware.

cressy
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

Did you know that XP with sp2 is coming to the end of its support cycle and you need to get sp3 for continued support from Microsoft

#4 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 03:10 AM

Even if Lavasoft uses other software I don't think it makes it a bad product, as long as Avira, Sunbelt, and Vipre are reliable and definitions are updated. I think it's similar to car mfg and rebadging, e.g. GM using the same platform to sell different cars in Europe and the US, or how Matsushita mfg electronics rebadged under different brands such as Panasonic and GE.

Lavasoft may have found it's less expensive to license software than develop something from the ground up, allowing them to pour resources into malware analysis and definition updates. Although they compete for customers, some security companies share information on emerging threats, so in some ways they're the same. What's important is that the software tries to prevent you from visiting known malicious sites, catches anything that tries to slip in, or recognizes it if it does.

#5 Cuc

Cuc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:12 PM

As for it being a joke, i don't think so or i would not use it. I don't put much stock in reports about how well one product does over another because i have found such reports to be biased. I use what has proven itself over time. For instance, I even found on Lavasoft site in a recent News Letter, a comparison of different companies products that is very biased against AVG. It shows that AVG takes 7 times longer to do a scan than Ad-Aware which i can tell you is not true from my own experience. I can scan both hdd with Ad-Aware in 75 min and it takes AVG just 90 minutes to scan both hdd. That is a little longer but not 7 times longer.

Just make sure that you get your Ad-Aware from Lavasoft product page so as to make sure that you are not getting one of the rouge programs that uses a name that is similar to Ad-Aware.

cressy

I would like to be clear.I'm using Lavasoft's Ad-Aware Pro paid licence (not rogue) from yr.2005,and every piece of software on my machine is paid and genuine.I liked all Ad-Aware Pro versions,until it shows up with Ad-Aware Pro Internet security 2010 v.8x, which make me a hard times same as to other users,because of instability and incompatibility with other security software.I would like that Lavasoft continue as two products divisions.One with AntiSpyware only,and second with complete solution as Internet Security.It will keep their fans and customers as I am which likes and needs only Ad-Aware Pro Anti Spyware,good and stable software as it was for a long period of time. :huh:
Cuc , Croatia

#6 cressy

cressy

Valued Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:12 AM

I never said you are using a rouge, that was a reminder to anyone reading this to be careful where they download Ad-Aware from because this is becoming a bigger problem everyday.

You can turn off the parts of Ad-Aware that you do not want to use or that is having problems with other security software that is installed on your system in Ad-Aware settings.

cressy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users