Photo

Ad-Aware - How do I remove the email scanner! It's awful!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Plugus Maximus

Plugus Maximus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:38 PM

Well the new update of Ad-ware is worse than any virus I have ever had. My Outlook is slow to the point of agony. I hate this scanner and have no need for it. I have closed Ad-aware down but it's still runing and causing huge problems and unnecessary delays.

I either want to remove the scanner completely so it no longer affects my Outlook 2007 EVER again (ie. I don't want the hassle of trying to deinstall it everytime I get an update from Lavasoft) or I shall remove the application entirely.

Can anyone help me or advise how I remove this element of the program?

It's a very poor performing update.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by Plugus Maximus, 20 April 2010 - 06:40 PM.

#2 txfort

txfort

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:44 PM

I think you are having the same problem as I have. The scanner scans every email and is a serious pain! I want to disable this email scanner!

#3 cressy

cressy

Valued Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:31 PM

You can enable/disable from Ad-Aware GUI under Extras section.

Also it can be removed by opening Control Panel then open Add Remove Programs and select the Ad-Aware Email Scanner for Outlook.

cressy
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.
Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.
Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.
Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

Windows XP Home sp2 with AVG Free , Outpost Firewall , Ad-Aware & Spybot
Did you know that XP with sp2 is coming to the end of its support cycle and you need to get sp3 for continued support from Microsoft

#4 Plugus Maximus

Plugus Maximus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:42 PM

Also it can be removed by opening Control Panel then open Add Remove Programs and select the Ad-Aware Email Scanner for Outlook.

cressy

Oh I didn't realise it was a seperate prog! Good stuff - cheers Cressy! :P

#5 Silverwood

Silverwood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:04 AM

cressy

I disabled mine through the "Extras" tab on the main AAW screen.

Reason: Everytime I started to download emails to Outlook, Outlook terminated completely. To get it going again, had to wait due to MS message "Outlook closed abnormally, scanning Personal Folder file for problems" which takes ages to get back to Outlook, then repeat the whole process again ! I wasted a whole afternoon dreading that my Outlook pst file must be corrupted, before looking though Outlook Add-ins and saw the AAW Email Scanner listed there - disabled it, and Outlook now works perfectly.

For extra safety, also disabled it in the AAW "Extras" tab.

I can do without add-ins like this. Clearly there are a lot of problems with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users