4 replies to this topic

#1 Nakimatt

Nakimatt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:11 PM

Hi,

I have been trying to troubleshoot Adaware 8.2 for the last week or so. Everytime I click 'install' it will work for a couple of seconds and then stop stating:

"The Installation for Adaware has failed: This installation is forbidden by system policy. Contact your system administrator. Please check your settings and try again."

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit and it is a sole use computer of which I am the Admin.

1) I have searched and searched and then a little more searching about this and although other ppl have 'system policy' issues with other software I can't find any instances of it with Adaware.

2) I have had Adaware before but it is certainly not on my HDD anymore.

3) I have used Windows Installer Cleanup, Revouninstall.

4) I have tried installing from different sites incase of a bad file. I have also tried installing different versions of Adaware but the same outcome.

5) I can install other software, it is only Adaware that is having this issue.

6) Vista Home Premium doesn't have GPedit or Local Security settings to adjust.

7) I have tried it by right clicking and running as Administrator. Both in normal and safe mode. I have tried to install from command prompt as admin. I have tried to install from "secret admin login". I have tried to turn off UAC.

8) I have searched the registry for instances of Adaware or Lavasoft.

9) I even tried to get a drunk chimpanzee to install it for me but he failed too.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks much.

Edited by Nakimatt, 06 April 2010 - 09:34 PM.

#2 cressy

cressy

Valued Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:52 PM

I came up with something for you to try.

Right-Click on the installation.exe and select "Run as Administrator"

If that does not work try this

1. Click Start -> Control Panel
2. Open Administrative Tools
3. Open Local Security Settings
4. Click Software Restriction Policies
1. If no software restrictions are defined, right click the Software Restriction Policies node and select New Software Restriction Policy
5. Double click Enforcement
6. Select "All users except local administrators"
7. Click OK
8. Reboot the machine

Edited by cressy, 06 April 2010 - 08:57 PM.

Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.
Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.
Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.
Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

Windows XP Home sp2 with AVG Free , Outpost Firewall , Ad-Aware & Spybot
Did you know that XP with sp2 is coming to the end of its support cycle and you need to get sp3 for continued support from Microsoft

#3 Nakimatt

Nakimatt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:17 PM

Cressy,

thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately as per point "7)" I have tried right clicking and running as Administrator.

And as per "6)" Vista Home doesn't have Local Security Settings in Administrative Tools.

#4 cressy

cressy

Valued Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:00 AM

Did some digging and can't find any tools that can be used in the home version, found all kinds of stuff for the other versions of vista. Why do they have to cripple the home versions so much, it annoys me to no end. The only other option i find is to edit the registry by hand to change group policies which is something i don't want to get into. If you feel like trying you'll need this Group Policy Settings Reference

Might be worth while to post in the Hijack This Forum because there is a chance that malware is causing this. Here are the instructions

Edited by cressy, 07 April 2010 - 02:21 AM.

Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.
Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.
Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.
Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

Windows XP Home sp2 with AVG Free , Outpost Firewall , Ad-Aware & Spybot
Did you know that XP with sp2 is coming to the end of its support cycle and you need to get sp3 for continued support from Microsoft

#5 Nakimatt

Nakimatt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:01 AM

Appreciate your time. I have posted my HJT file in a new topic. Didn't know whether you wanted to look at it as well so I have posted below.

I have Spybot S+D, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Registry Mechanic and CCleaner which I use from time to time. AVG is running all the time. So hopefully shouldn't be Malware.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 08:51:54, on 07/04/2010
Platform: Windows Vista SP2 (WinNT 6.00.1906)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6002.18005)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\EDIMAX\Common\RaUI.exe
C:\Program Files\Trusteer\Rapport\bin\RapportService.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.ask.com?o=13170&l=dis
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG9_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG9\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Global Startup: Wireless Utility.lnk = C:\Program Files\EDIMAX\Common\RaUI.exe
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O16 - DPF: {3860DD98-0549-4D50-AA72-5D17D200EE10} (Windows Live OneCare safety scanner control) - http://cdn.scan.onec...s/wlscctrl2.cab
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgpp.dll
O23 - Service: Ati External Event Utility - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Free E-mail Scanner (avg9emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Free WatchDog (avg9wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Ralink Registry Writer (RalinkRegistryWriter) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\EDIMAX\Common\RalinkRegistryWriter.exe
O23 - Service: Rapport Management Service (RapportMgmtService) - Trusteer Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Trusteer\Rapport\bin\RapportMgmtService.exe

--
End of file - 3556 bytes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users