9 replies to this topic

#1 disdainful

disdainful

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:15 AM

Good morning all,

A few days ago I noticed some issues with Ad Aware. I couldnt update or scan. I tried reinstalling but it didnt help at all. I was having some random system shut downs, slow laggyness and the event viewer said that Ad Aware was having fatal errors. So today, I ran Killdisk and shredded my entire hard drive. I then reinstalled Windows Xp Home. I only have the base programs on the pc right now from Windows (fully updated) as well as Firefox, ZoneAlarm, and Est Nod 32 Anti virus. I installed Ad Aware fresh from download.com and I am still having the same issues. It is version 8.2.0.

Basically, when I try to update it just sits there for a long time and then an error message pops up "Connection error, check your settings. (Errorcode: -2)." When I try to scan I get another error message and the program closes.

I tried the fixes listed here: http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=27351
http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=25456

None of that has worked. I also tried using Nod 32's "Temporarily Disable Anti virus" function to see if it was the two programs not playing well together, but that didnt work either. Im extremely frustrated at this point.

Is there a way to manually update the program to 8.2.2 or whatever the newest version is? Might that help the problems Im experiencing?

Thank you for any help!

Edited by disdainful, 06 April 2010 - 08:16 AM.

#2 Sariel Fallen

Sariel Fallen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:37 AM

Please try to download and install
RSIT and Malwarebytes-Antimalware , run both scans and post the logs here >>
http://www.lavasofts...hp?showforum=36
Sariel*

Life is a tale told by an idiot

If it ain't broke ... fix it until it is !

*former Raziel v. Nosgoth

#3 disdainful

disdainful

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:21 AM

I installed and ran Malwarebytes, but it didnt find anything. Im not sure that I should repost because I dont seem to have an infection. And my system is new now as well. Here is the Malwarebytes report:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.45
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 3958

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

4/6/2010 4:20:54 AM
mbam-log-2010-04-06 (04-20-54).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 130639
Time elapsed: 19 minute(s), 53 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#4 disdainful

disdainful

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:41 AM

Sorry to double post but I have some more information to add. I checked my event viewer and saw this event:

4/6/10 2:10 am Error
"The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Failed to uninstall service."

Not quite sure what that is about. I didnt try to uninstall the program. But that may be from when I was following the tutorial and stopping and starting the aawservice.exe file.

#5 Sariel Fallen

Sariel Fallen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:43 AM

There was a fault in one of the previous versions ;
try this :
Download and install Revo uninstaller and CCleaner.
Uninstall AAW with Revo in the highest mode.
Run CCleaner and reboot.
Install the Windows Clean Up utility, open it and search for any LS entries and delete them.
Download a fresh LS install package and save it to desktop - disable all security software
and try to install.
Sariel
Sariel*

#6 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:56 AM

If you've been trying to update through the GUI "Web Update" function, try closing the GUI and updating by right-clicking the tray icon or through the start menu. Also make sure Ad-Aware's whitelisted in ZoneAlarm or temporarily disable the firewall during the update.

8.2.2 was supposed to fix a compatibility problem with ESET NOD32 on 64-bit systems, so maybe you need to install and update Ad-Aware first before installing NOD32.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#7 disdainful

disdainful

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:18 PM

Sariel - Thank you. When I reformatted my computer I Killdisked the drive so it was a fresh install of Windows and Ad Aware. Basically just like a brand new pc. I did just uninstall and reinstall but it isnt helping. It doesnt seem to be related to a faulty install.

Visitor - Thank you as well! Right clicking the tray icon and the start menu all go to the same update window, so it results in the same error message and doesnt update. I did try disabling Zonealarm and Nod 32 and running the update but theres no luck. I guess I just need a way to manually update the version. All of the download sites only have 8.2.0 and the only way I see to get the updates is in the program. But if the program is erroring I cant get the update. Its a catch 22.

I need the smiley with the face hitting a brick wall right about now.

#8 Sariel Fallen

Sariel Fallen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:38 PM

Ever tried to run AAW without ZA installed ( disabled couldn't be enough )
Sariel*

#9 disdainful

disdainful

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:53 PM

I was reluctant to have my pc without a firewall for a length of time, but I did give it a shot. Running without Nod32 and Zonealarm lets me scan but I cant update. I reinstalled them and I can still scan but I cant update. I was getting the "Ad-Aware was shut down unexpectedly and has generated an error report" message before and now it just takes a long time to scan and finds no infections.

If I manually install the core file without having the version update, will that work? I dunno what else to do at this point.

Edited by disdainful, 06 April 2010 - 01:57 PM.

#10 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:28 PM

Too bad, the tray icon/start menu update used to work with a prior version. Not sure when they'll update the installer to include 8.2.2, so for now the core.zip file is your only bet to at least keep the definitions updated. The only thing is 8.2.0 was pretty buggy, but at least you can scan.

Going through some old notes - even if you don't use IE as your browser, make sure it's in online mode and not offline mode. For some reason, this enabled another user to update.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users