Photo

Full Scan Took Over 7 Hours To Complete!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Voltron

Voltron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:15 PM

I have always conducted full Ad-Aware scans in safe mode and they would normally take between two and three hours to complete, including the anti-virus engine during the scans. Yesterday evening, after conducting a fresh, clean install of Ad-Aware 8.2.1 and completely updating the client, I conducted my first full scan, in safe mode, using the anti-virus engine. It took seven hours, six minutes and nineteen seconds (7:06:19), finding three cookies. Are others experiencing this much longer scan time when conducting scans with 8.2.1? One thing I am wondering about is if during a full scan, the older clients were actually scanning both of my locally-installed hard drives, as I have two internal hard drives. Is it possible that 8.2.1 is the first client to actually scan both of my internal hard drives? Thanks.

#2 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:35 AM

Ad-Aware should scan all internal drives. Check your scan logs to see the number of objects scanned.

XP
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Logs\Scan_<date information>.log
Vista and 7
C:\ProgramData\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Logs\Scan_<date information>.log
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#3 Voltron

Voltron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:50 AM

Hello, visitor:

According to the scan log, Ad-Aware did scan both my C: and D: drives, with a total of 96,995 objects scanned. I did notice, however, than when the scan first started, the number of objects scanned did not continue counting upwards. At one time, the total number of objects scanned was listed as 600 objects. Then, the number of objects scanned dropped back to 200. Does the number of objects scanned change when the categories change, as in scanning critical areas to scanning files? I do not think the category changed when I noticed this possible discrepancy, however. Is 8.2.1 fully compatible with safe mode? It doesn't make sense that it would take over seven hours to scan under 100,000 objects. Does it?

Thanks.

#4 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:39 AM

Number of objects scanned dropping was a bug in 8.1, carried over to 8.2.0, and must not have been fixed with 8.2.1. Casey theorized it was the GUI's inability to display 6 digits, but this hasn't been confirmed. Lavasoft's original response was that the problem of detections not showing as they are found during a scan had been resolved. But there has been no feedback from them since I clarified it's total objects scanned and not detections, and that it carried over from 8.1 to 8.2.

I was suggesting you compare scan logs from the 2-3 hr scan vs. the 7 hr scan to see if the number of objects is the same. In the other cases, the 8.2 full scans were very short, minutes instead of hours, so Lavasoft fixed something even if the GUI and/or logs are not showing the correct number.

For comparison, AE 8.0.3 takes ~1-1/2 hrs to scan my 80 gb drive partitioned into C: and D: ~290,000 objects scanned.
I have verified with separate profile scans of C: and D: that full scan is hitting both partitions.

Edited by visitor, 25 March 2010 - 03:40 AM.

Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users