10 replies to this topic

#1 clancypup

clancypup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:27 PM

Hi

As I have explorer pop ups so I wanted to install Ad-Aware Free to help me. I have no problems downloading and when I started installing, a box appears "The program is being configured. This may take several minutes." It took a while and I decided to go to sleep and leave it on. The next morning, it is still the same. I am using Vista at home.

Thanks

#2 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:41 AM

8.2 is buggy, so we've been recommending installing 8.1 instead:

http://download.lava...nstallation.exe

Do a clean uninstall using Revo Free Uninstaller (revouninstaller.com) on the highest setting, then after uninstall, let it clean up all the remnants. After installing 8.1, turn off auto-updates so it won't update to 8.2.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#3 clancypup

clancypup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:44 AM

Well i didn't know what version i have downloaded, I just got it from Lavasoft home page. I will uninstall it (not using Revo but Windows can do it) and try your link 8.1. Will let you know.

Cheers

#4 clancypup

clancypup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:18 PM

Yes i was able to install v8.1, did a scan, cleared a few stuff.....but still have pop ups! :( ......next program.....

#5 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:02 PM

First off, I'd recommend a browser other than Internet Explorer, especially if you're using an older version like IE5 or IE6. But if you prefer IE, make sure you turn the pop-up blocker to "High" to stop all pop-ups (you'll still have the option to show an info bar which allows pop-ups temporarily). Go to Internet Properties/Privacy tab/Pop-up Blocker/Settings and check "Turn on Pop-up Blocker." This will help with the popups while you're surfing.

If you're getting spontaneous popups, even when you're not surfing, then follow the instructions in my signature for posting in the HijackThis forum. There, somebody can help you diagnose/remove any malware and give you more hints on making IE and your system more secure.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#6 clancypup

clancypup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:43 AM

Hi

I have been using Firefox and upgraded the IE, set the blocker to the highest and still I get the pop ups. Can't uninstall IE right?

need to do more research...... :(

#7 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:40 PM

If you're getting Firefox pop-ups, you should get the extension "NoScript" which allows you more control over java script:

http://noscript.net/

I think I remember hearing that Win 7 allows uninstallation of IE, but don't quote me on that. If you use Firefox to surf, and not IE, you could also try disabling scripts in IE options or set the Internet Options for Security on High. To be safe, you should post in HJT since you may have malware onboard (instructions in my signature).

#8 clancypup

clancypup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 05:29 AM

Hi

I am using firefox to surf the net. The pop-ups are from IE. I'll check the disabling scripts in IE options or the Internet Options for Security. And will try to post it on HJT.....but i am getting weary.....

Edna

#9 clancypup

clancypup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:25 AM

Hi

Can you give me the weblink to hijackthis forum. I went http://www.hijackthisforum.com and I can't even find the button for the forum.

By the way, what is your signature as I only see "Visitor"....

Sorry I am not so PC savvy.....

Thanks

#10 casey_boy

casey_boy

Volunteer Helper/Moderator

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:09 AM

It's in visitor's (and my) signature, but here you go:

http://www.lavasofts...hp?showforum=36

Casey

P.S. visitor's signature is

It's what appears at the bottom of every one of his posts. I have one also.

Edited by casey_boy, 14 March 2010 - 01:10 AM.

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#11 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:38 AM

Edna, if you can't see the notes below Casey's and my posts, you may need to change your message board settings.
When set, "signatures" appear at the bottom of a user's post, but there is an option to not display signatures.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users