• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Regor

Regor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:17 PM

On jan26, I downloaded definitions files 0149.0140. Since then, when I click on Web Updates, I always get "software is already up to date". I manually downloaded definitions files 0149.0143 on jan29 and 0149.0145 on feb02. I tried again today "web updates" and again it tells me that my "software is already up to date" and I know that the new definitions files is 0149.0146. I have the Anniversary Edition and I have XP professional.
For your info, my brother has the same problem. Can you help?

#2 Voltron

Voltron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:50 PM

I am also experiencing this same issue. I am running Windows XP Professional, with Service Pack 3 and Ad-Aware PLUS, version 8.0.8. On January 27, 2010, I downloaded webupdate 0149.0140, successfully and have not been able to download any other updates since, either via the main AAW GUI interface or via the system tray AAW icon. Also, I have conducted a quick glance through the AAW file structure and I am unable to see any definitions file (*.aawdef) anywhere in the file structure. As a reminder, where should those definition files be located?

I hope this information helps and I anxiously look forward to a quick resolution. Thank you, Regor for creating this post.

--Voltron

#3 Rosemary

Rosemary

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:01 AM

I am also experiencing this same issue. I am running Windows XP Professional, with Service Pack 3 and Ad-Aware PLUS, version 8.0.8. On January 27, 2010, I downloaded webupdate 0149.0140, successfully and have not been able to download any other updates since, either via the main AAW GUI interface or via the system tray AAW icon. Also, I have conducted a quick glance through the AAW file structure and I am unable to see any definitions file (*.aawdef) anywhere in the file structure. As a reminder, where should those definition files be located?

I hope this information helps and I anxiously look forward to a quick resolution. Thank you, Regor for creating this post.

--Voltron

I have the same problem..I was told to UPDATE to AAW 8.1 after all this time, I have not found a way around it easily. I took it (AE) and reloaded it several times but all I get is that 0140... I thought it was the Computer Associates Security Suite locking out the Updates, but I am not so sure now... SO I will try to get the AAW 8.1 tomorrow. I loved AE, but so much hassle... I always relied on AAW... HOPE I CAN get this straightened out soon... :) I am running Vista 64 bit Home Premium...

#4 Voltron

Voltron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:16 AM

I assumed the first "solution" would be to update to 8.1; however, that is not a viable solution, as I am not in a position to update to version 8.1 just yet. Plus, when one reads about all the issues that are still outstanding with version 8.1, one should probably be quite hesitant before jumping to this new version. If these releases were more stable upon release, I would be more willing to update more quickly. However, with the release of AE and now 8.1, issues are fairly numerous and it makes me quite hesitant to update, at this time.

To Lavasoft support staff and to everyone reading this: it appears that this updating process became flawed for AE when Lavasoft discontinued support and definition updates for version 2008. It appears that Lavasoft may have swept up AE in this discontinuation process, as well. Since AE is only the previous version and at this time, the more stable version, users should be allowed to keep this version, along with version 8.1. I completely appreciate the opportunity to freely update to newer versions (This is one major reason why I stick with Lavasoft's Ad-Aware and I believe should be a retention strategy all software companies should follow.), but, we need to make certain that the newer versions are stable, prior to migrating to them.

Thanks for everything and for all comments! Here's hoping for a quick resolution, one other than to migrate to version 8.1.

--Voltron

#5 hubie

hubie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:57 AM

Hello,
Just to add to the list of people having
trouble updating ad-aware AE.I have been manually
downloading defs from the blog site since 140.It's up
to 146 now.Upgrading to the newest version isn't
what I want to do so I hope this gets corrected.Being it's
free,I really can't complain too much!!
Hubie

#6 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:48 AM

I have conducted a quick glance through the AAW file structure and I am unable to see any definitions file (*.aawdef) anywhere in the file structure. As a reminder, where should those definition files be located?

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Defs

8.0.8 was the last Anniversary Edition version released, so no more software updates. Instructions to manually download/install definitions:

http://www.lavasoft....hat-should-i-do

Now that there's a trend, I've informed Lavasoft there's a problem with AE definition updates. Hopefully it's a quick fix like a server location and they don't just recommend updating to 2010 version 8.1. However, it should be noted that I discussed this with Lavasoft since I still use AE - they recommend the current version because they continually improve the antivirus engine and what not. I hate upgrading software when it works properly.

Voltron, since you have paid for Plus, you may also want to contact Lavasoft Customer Support via the link in my signature. They have email and live chat support, so response and correction may be faster. If they provide a fix, let us know here.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#7 casey_boy

casey_boy

Volunteer Helper/Moderator

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 02:33 PM

Hi all,

Lavasoft replied to visitor's report with the following two comments:

An issue with AE definition updates is currently being looked into.

(On a side note) We would recommend users to 'upgrade' to 8.1 anyway as that version is superior to Anniversary Edition.

and then...

Def Updates in AE are working as normal again.

Current Version: 0149:0146

Hope that helps,

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#8 Regor

Regor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:37 PM

Thanks everyone. I just downloaded 0149.0147 and everything is fine.

Regor

#9 Voltron

Voltron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:58 PM

All issues appear to have been resolved, as I am now able to download the latest web updates, via the AAW interface. Thank you, visitor, casey_boy, hubie, Rosemary, and Regor. And, thank you to Lavasoft for a quick, complete, and responsive resolution to this issue.

--Voltron

#10 casey_boy

casey_boy

Volunteer Helper/Moderator

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:11 PM

Since this issue appears to be resolved, I will close this topic. Glad we could help.

If you need it reopening then PM any moderator.

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users