• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 plednev

plednev

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:30 PM

I have the Free version which I always used to scan individual files by right clicking them and the clickling the Adaware icon. Suddenly it disappeared. What can be wrong? Just an FYI, I did ensure that the Right click menu checkbox in setting was checked. Icon stil fail;s to display.

#2 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:23 AM

Which version are you using? Click on "About" in the GUI.

Read this topic - similar problem with version 8.1.2 Free and 8.1.3 Pro Trial:

http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=27844

I reported this to Lavasoft, but have not received a response. I'll add this thread along with the other, but need to specify the version.

Edited by visitor, 03 February 2010 - 03:26 AM.

Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#3 plednev

plednev

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:59 PM

I am using version 8.1.4 Free. The icon was there when I first installed the application. It disappeared a few days later. Tried to reinstall. No luck.

Which version are you using? Click on "About" in the GUI.

Read this topic - similar problem with version 8.1.2 Free and 8.1.3 Pro Trial:

http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=27844

I reported this to Lavasoft, but have not received a response. I'll add this thread along with the other, but need to specify the version.

#4 casey_boy

casey_boy

Volunteer Helper/Moderator

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:23 AM

Did you install any programs between installing Ad-Aware and the context menu entries disappearing?

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#5 plednev

plednev

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 09:25 PM

Yes I did...But I always make it a point to scan all incoming files with both Avast and Adaware before I even open them. I did just that recently and noticed the icon disappearing right after this one download. I'm guessing it made change in the registry to set me up for some kind of a hit later. But where? I don't know where to start to look. I am now running a full scan but I don't know how reliable it is now. Any suggestions?

Did you install any programs between installing Ad-Aware and the context menu entries disappearing?

Casey

#6 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:05 PM

I doubt the scan would find anything... it's probably not malware. More likely, some fault with the program you've just installed.

What program was it you installed?

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#7 plednev

plednev

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:15 AM

Delorme Street Atlas 2009, but I never installed or even extracted it from the archive files (.iso). I dumped it on a flash drive till I can figure all this out.

I did install Malware Bytes in lieu of Ad-aware. That icon shows up in the right click menu with no problem. It found and isolated a couple of Malware Registry Key entries that Ad-aware passed over:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{147a976f-eee1-4377-8ea7-4716e4cdd239} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoActiveDesktopChanges (Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

I also noticed that I could not even manually configure Lavasoft Ad-aware to scan a single file or folder. I would set up the scan to target a specific directory or file but when the scan starts, It would continue to scan the entire drive.

I think I 'm just going to stick with MB for now.

Thanks for the help!

Pete

I doubt the scan would find anything... it's probably not malware. More likely, some fault with the program you've just installed.

What program was it you installed?

Casey

#8 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:53 AM

I also noticed that I could not even manually configure Lavasoft Ad-aware to scan a single file or folder. I would set up the scan to target a specific directory or file but when the scan starts, It would continue to scan the entire drive.

Just to be sure, you're clicking "Profile Scan"? I made this mistake - after setting up the profile, I clicked "Full Scan" by habit.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#9 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 02:11 PM

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoActiveDesktopChanges (Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

You should note that this entry is probably a false positive - especially if you have dreamscene or some other app like it. http://forums.malwar...?showtopic=7653

The reason I know is because I've also got MBAM installed and it too detected that threat... so I immediately added it to the whitelist (ignore list).

Casey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users