• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Carlibra

Carlibra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:06 PM

I have had the free version of Ad-Aware on my computer and when I tried to save a photo file from a friend (after first being scanned by Yahoo's Norton Anti-Virus) it popped open a file transfer window saying

warning: "The Ad-Aware scanning engine could not be found. Please make sure that you have the latest version of Ad-Aware installed."

Ok, so I closed the email, went to Lavasoft and did a update check, the message it was up todate.

Then I tried to save the photo file again, same message as before.

Ok, so I then decided to unistall Ad-Aware from my computer, that worked fine, then rebooted, then went to the CNET website to get the free download for Ad-Aware,

but..... once again the same message appears, stated above, which is prohibiting this download because "The Ad-Aware scanning engine can't be found", thus I'm in a catch 22!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:32 PM

This is a problem with Ad-Aware's Download Guard. You should be able to uninstall it through Add/Remove programs or disable it in IE Tools/Manage Add-ons.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#3 Carlibra

Carlibra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:08 PM

This is a problem with Ad-Aware's Download Guard. You should be able to uninstall it through Add/Remove programs or disable it in IE Tools/Manage Add-ons.

the program was already uninstalled, it's the re-installing of the ad-aware progam that's being prohibited because it requires a file transfer to download the program, and since the ad-aware scanning engine can't be found, it prohibits the file transfer.

How can I get a scanning engine again if it keeps saying you don't have one and also it won't allow me to get a new one? it's a catch 22

the IE tools/manage add-ons has nothing there for scanning engine, I looked already.

#4 Carlibra

Carlibra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:18 PM

I solved the issue but now have a new one!

I went to control panel/add-remove programs

I found and did a repair on: Download Guard for Internet Explorer

This solve the issue which was preventing a file transfer from completing due to the fact that the Ad-Aware scanning engine couldn't be found.

New problem:

Reinstalled Ad-Aware, program installed fine, then rebooted, upon appearance of desktop, a Lavasoft Ad-Aware window appears, saying, "Loading......"

Unfortunately, after about a minute it then says in a new window,

Connection Error "Failed to connect to service"

Now what????

#5 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:01 AM

My previous comment was to uninstall by Add/Remove or disable by IE add-ons the Download Guard, not the entire Ad-Aware program. Also, if you uninstall/reinstall Ad-Aware, there is the option to not install Download Guard. Anyhow, glad you can download files now.

For the service problem, read this thread:

http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=27351
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users