27 replies to this topic

#1 cressy

cressy

Valued Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:36 PM

I love Ad-Aware and i recommend it often to all the people i know. Been Very satisfied for years with ad-aware until a few months ago and for the most part still am satisfied except for this one annoying quirk. When Ad-aware updates it receives the new files then I think it tries to restart to apply the changes but it fails to restart, it just shuts down. And it then stays shut down until i notice that the icon is missing from the system tray. I really do want it to run always because if it is not running it can't do its job. I never posted b4 this because I expected this to be at the top of your todo list but looking today i find no mention of it in the forums. I guess most people do not notice this problem because they don't have there system on 24/7 365 days a year. I sure hope a fix for this comes soon

cressy
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.
Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.
Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.
Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

Windows XP Home sp2 with AVG Free , Outpost Firewall , Ad-Aware & Spybot
Did you know that XP with sp2 is coming to the end of its support cycle and you need to get sp3 for continued support from Microsoft

#2 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:19 AM

Shutdown after update is intentional behavior since Ad-Aware needs to be restarted in order to load the new definitions and/or software updates. For now, you just have to remember to restart it after update, as it doesn't seem to shutdown/restart automatically like AVG does after a software update. Lavasoft knows about it, but I think it's lower priority than other useability issues like scanning problems - plus, they spend a lot of time with analysing threats and updating their database. I really liked the old SE version since it didn't require restarts after updates.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#3 cressy

cressy

Valued Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:10 AM

Thanks for responding.

I don't mind that Ad-Aware needs to restart. The thing is i don't sit here watching for it to do an automatic update so that i can help it finish the update process. That would negate the automatic part of automatic. This then means that Ad-Aware is shut down and not protecting my system until i notice it missing from the system tray. So I guess the best thing for me to do until this is resolved is to turn off auto-update and manually do the updates. That way i can restart it when it fails and not leave my system unprotected.

I still think that having the software stay running is of high importance.

:huh: cressy

Did you know that XP with sp2 is coming to the end of its support cycle and you need to get sp3 for continued support from Microsoft

#4 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:49 PM

In this topic, the user updates through the GUI, and Ad-Aware restarts. So it got me thinking, does Ad-Aware only close and not reopen with auto-update?

When new definitions come out Monday, can you see if Ad-Aware reopens automatically after you manually update? If so, I can point out a specific bug to Lavasoft. I would check myself, but using the update function updates the software too, and I prefer to update only definitions, which requires me to close/reopen Ad-Aware.

Until then, click on Start/Run/services.msc and see if "Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service" is set for "Automatic" startup. If not, maybe this is why it doesn't reopen after auto-update.

#5 cressy

cressy

Valued Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:35 PM

I just checked services and the startup type is automatic as it should be so that it loads when i start my system.

I was wondering if maybe the restart command during update comes too soon so it is running into itself. What i mean by that is maybe Ad-Aware is trying to restart b4 Ad-Aware has completely shut down. A lot of programs can't have more than one instance of itself loaded. So maybe they just need to add a small delay b4 the restart command to take care of this issue.

And i'll check tomorrow to see if it manages to restart itself during a manual update.

cressy

#6 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:33 AM

I don't know anything about programming, so not sure how it works. When I get a software update with AVG or Spybot, they both close/reopen almost instantaneously. Let's see what happens with the manual update - if there is a problem with auto vs. manual startup, we'll let them figure it out.

#7 cressy

cressy

Valued Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:12 AM

Ok, i did the manual update today and it was just for definitions.

It downloaded the definitions file no problem. Then it said 'Reinitializing Components' . I was watching what was going on using process explorer and saw Ad-Aware restarting. It then failed and everything Ad-Aware shutdown. About 1/2 minute passed and I saw in process explorer that Ad-aware was restarting again. At this point it popped up a dialog box that said Ad-Aware had encountered problems and generated an error report. I clicked 'ok' to send report to Lavasoft. Then Ad-Aware finished loading without a problem.

I would like to know what was in the error report, I can't find it. I looked in 'crashdumps' folder, it was empty. Looked through the log files for today and it only shows :

(from aawadmin.log)
MSG [0740] 2010/01/11 18:21:25: Update: Downloading file: build-149.129.aawdef.file size: 246kB
MSG [0740] 2010/01/11 18:21:32: Update: Applying update: build-149.129.aawdef
MSG [0740] 2010/01/11 18:21:42: Update: Applying update:
MSG [0740] 2010/01/11 18:21:42: Update: finished

(from update.log)
MSG [0740] 2010/01/11 18:21:05: Downloading file: metafile.dat size: 32kB
MSG [0740] 2010/01/11 18:21:05: Connected: download.lavasoft.com
MSG [0740] 2010/01/11 18:21:32: Definition: incremental update applied successfully: [C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Update\build-149.129.aawdef] 149.129
MSG [0876] 2010/01/11 18:22:18: Update finished

So the Mystery continues.

cressy

#8 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:53 PM

Thanks for the details. I posted to Lavasoft "AAW 8.1.3 does not restart after auto-update, only after manual update, which generated error." We'll see what happens.

#9 cressy

cressy

Valued Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:54 PM

Just a thought I had on this situation.

It might be restarting Ad-Aware during auto update but because there is an error it fails and does not try again due to the fact that it can't do an error report to lavasoft in auto update mode.

I didn't even know until yesterday that Ad-Aware had error reporting capabilities but not surprised that it does, a lot of programs do these days.

And thanx for passing this on to lavasoft visitor.

cressy

#10 cressy

cressy

Valued Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:57 PM

I did another manual update today and it went just like the other day including the error report.

I also noticed in process explorer that Ad-Aware is doing what i thought it might be doing. Ad-Aware is starting aawservice.exe b4 the previous one has finished shutting down which may be what is causing the new instance of aawservice to immediately shutdown.

cressy

#11 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:38 AM

Thanks, hopefully your detailed analysis will help them. I linked to this post so they'll have all the info when they take a look.

#12 cressy

cressy

Valued Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:25 PM

Some more info i thought i should add.

The previous manual updates have been from within the GUI.

Today i tried a manual update from the Tray Icon context menu (right click menu) and Ad-Aware failed to restart. It d/l the new definition file then it reinitialized components but the new instance of AAWService immediately died. I waited but it never tried to restart again like it does when updating from the GUI.

Another thing i noticed is that when I reboot my computer Ad-Aware starts up with the AAWTray.exe under the user. When it is loaded at the user level it does successfully update but after the update AAWTray is running at system level instead of user level. When the AAWTray is running at system level update fails as i reported in previous posts.

cressy

#13 cressy

cressy

Valued Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:42 PM

Just wanted to let you know the status of this problem.

There have been two sets of component updates in the past week and neither has solved this problem.

I must say that after seeing all the problems that ad-aware is having i'm starting to lose confidence in a product that i used to strongly recommend for all the people who's computers that i work on.

cressy

#14 cressy

cressy

Valued Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:54 PM

I think this might be resolved. It did an automatic update today without needing to be manually restarted by me. THe logs confirm this too. I'll confirm this on monday or tuesday when we get the next updates so don't close this thread until then please.
:)
cressy

#15 casey_boy

casey_boy

Volunteer Helper/Moderator

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:49 AM

Fingers crossed :)

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#16 cressy

cressy

Valued Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:34 PM

Well, it's mostly fixed. On monday and tuesday auto update worked fine but this morning it failed to initialize after applying the dummy file. I had to restart it myself. Then this afternoon it got the new definition file and reinitialized without a problem. So i guess they still have some work to do.

On a side note i was wondering what they are trying to do with the use of the dummy file?

cressy

#17 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:34 AM

On a side note i was wondering what they are trying to do with the use of the dummy file?

I'm no programmer, but my impression is that it's a quick fix to supply a file which the program looks for. Later, they'll rewrite the code and eliminate the need for dummy files.

#18 cressy

cressy

Valued Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:10 PM

Well, guess what. My problem is back. The last two days i have had to manually restart ad-aware after it got the new definitions file. I really wish they would get a handle on this problem. Security software needs to be running to do its job. It's like buying a condom and putting in your wallet and then forgetting to put it on before copulation (won't let me use the word s,e,x, that is just ridiculous) . It just won't protect you from getting an infection. There is just too much sh!t out there to infect our computers for this to be a low priority fix.

cressy

Edited by cressy, 11 February 2010 - 10:16 PM.

#19 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:03 AM

Lavasoft is hoping this will be fixed with version 8.2, but no ETA on release yet. Unallowed words like s-e-x are an antispam measure for the board, not so much anti-profanity.

#20 cressy

cressy

Valued Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:21 AM

I have updated to 8.2 and the install seems to have gone ok. But why are they including a browser from Google in the installer? I'll never use anything but Firefox to surf the web. I really wish that this company and others would stop including ToolBars and Browsers or any other crap software from other companies in their installer software. That is a bad habit that needs to stop.

Well I'm hoping tomorrow the auto update process goes as it should and does not need my help to restart Ad-aware.

cressy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users