• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cyrus10

Cyrus10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 04:40 AM

Have always had ad aware and it works great. This current version only scans 38 files, that has got to be an internal error, right? Tried it on all possible scan types with same result. 38 files searched.

Is it a corrupted file, or am i doing something wrong?

Thanks

Edited by Cyrus10, 05 January 2010 - 04:40 AM.

#2 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:06 AM

Which version, 8.1.3? (click on "About" in the GUI).
Which definitions are loaded? (current is 0149.0125).

It doesn't sound right, especially since Smart Scan and Full Scan should be significantly different. Even with a Smart Scan which takes less than a minute, Anniversary Edition scans 6,000 objects. You might have other security software or malware interfering - do the scans finish and give you the results screen? It might help to post a scan log:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Logs
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#3 Cyrus10

Cyrus10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:57 AM

Which version, 8.1.3? (click on "About" in the GUI).
Which definitions are loaded? (current is 0149.0125).

It doesn't sound right, especially since Smart Scan and Full Scan should be significantly different. Even with a Smart Scan which takes less than a minute, Anniversary Edition scans 6,000 objects. You might have other security software or malware interfering - do the scans finish and give you the results screen? It might help to post a scan log:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Logs

Yes..it's the 8.1.3 version and it's had full updates. I've always had ad aware and it's never done this. I erased it and downloaded it again and got the same result.

I do have a symantec endpoint protection program on my puter, but that shouldn't interfere with ad aware running more than a 38 file search. Makes no sense.
I went and disabled symantec and got the same results. 38 files scanned and no malicious files detected.

If it's malware preventing ad aware from working..has anyone heard of such a virus/malware doing this..which one and what other program can i use to eliminate it?

Thanks in advance!

#4 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:50 AM

There was a problem before with Symantec Endpoint, and more recently with Norton, a Symantec product. With Norton, it was the Tamper Protection interfering, but that problem was supposed to be corrected with Ad-Aware 8.1.3. You could not merely disable it, but had to follow these instructions:

http://www.lavasofts...s...st&p=112160

Also, malware often interferes with the popular security programs, I don't think it's any particular one. Usually there's suspicion of an infection with other symptoms as well, such as slower performance, browser redirects, inability to connect to Windows update, etc. If you think you might be infected, you can follow the instructions in my signature to post in the HijackThis forum where somebody can diagnose and help with any malware removal.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#5 Jazomir

Jazomir

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:40 PM

Also, malware often interferes with the popular security programs, I don't think it's any particular one.

I also have started having problems first with AdAware 8.1.0 & now, after a recent download, 8.1.3. Smart scan runs OK and shows nothing, but if I try a full scan, when the results page should be displayed, the window goes blank, with only the frame and title (AdAware) visible. Running the cursor over the toolbar icon tells me that 'critical objects have been found' but I cannot see them due to the aforementioned problem. I am OK about following Atribune's instructions (http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=13639) but is there anything else I should be looking out for? I don't have any Symantec/Norton products but do run Microsoft SeEcurity Essentials & Spybot- could this have any bearing on the results I am achieving?

Edit: I tried Smartscan again, this time on newly downloaded & updated 8.1.3 - I left it running, and did see one detected object show up, but like in Full Scan Mode, the final results window is blank, CPU utilisation is again at 100% and the toolbar icon states that 'objects detected during scan' but I cannot see them or delete them. This is indeed frustrating!

Regards,
Jazomir

Edited by Jazomir, 07 January 2010 - 05:14 PM.

#6 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:40 PM

Smart scan runs OK and shows nothing, but if I try a full scan, when the results page should be displayed, the window goes blank, with only the frame and title (AdAware) visible. I don't have any Symantec/Norton products but do run Microsoft SeEcurity Essentials & Spybot- could this have any bearing on the results I am achieving?

I'm not sure what it is about 8.1, but quite a few people have reported problems once items are detected. No word from Lavasoft - I think it's difficult to sort out a software problem if they can't replicate the problem which may be due to the malware detected. That's why we recommend posting in the HijackThis forum to diagnose and remove malware.

Spybot warns of a conflict with Ad-Aware, so I turn off the resident SDHelper and Tea Timer (advanced mode/tools/resident). That way I use Spybot only as an on-demand weekly scanner every update. I also turn off the real-time protection of AVG and Win Defender. You might try disabling any real-time security while scanning with Ad-Aware to see if it will work to give you the scan results.

Otherwise I'd post in HijackThis to see if removing any malware will allow Ad-Aware to work. That's another thing, when people get cleaned up in HJT forum, nobody returns to comment on whether Ad-Aware works properly afterwards.

#7 Jazomir

Jazomir

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:18 PM

Did the recommended cleanup - well not exactly as recommended as I have my own software for registry work - I found that Revo left some registry entries behind (I used Ashampoo WinOptimiser to clear them completely) and apart from a few <no file> entries in 'Hijack This' there was nothing untoward that I could spot. However, when I reinstalled Ad Aware, auto-updater ran ok but when I tried to launch the program, it just sits there with the Loading... screen displayed.
Anyone any further suggestions?

Regards,
Jazomir

Edited by Jazomir, 08 January 2010 - 03:19 PM.

#8 Jazomir

Jazomir

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:57 AM

I retried the clean-up procedure, downloaded AdAware again, reinstalled it - and same problem. Tried running SmartScan - and lo and behold, the same problem. I think I will uninstall it permanently until someone offers a guaranteed fix - my machine takes nearly forever to re-boot due to the various scans I need to run on boot-up, which means every time I try a minor change it takes the best part of 1/2 hr and I can't afford the time. It's a real pity because I have used the various releases of AdAware for years without any problems.

#9 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:37 AM

Jazomir, since Ad-Aware is detecting some things, I recommend you follow the instructions in my signature about posting in the HijackThis forum. It might be malware interfering with Ad-Aware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users