#1 kblue

kblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:07 AM

Hi!

I am having grief. I tried a paid version last year and had more trouble getting support for it, than in the past when I had the free one. So when my paid version expired a few days ago, I decided to go back to free...... but I can't for some reason.

I opened adaware and it told me that my license had expired. So, I uninstalled the program by going through the control panel..add/remove programs (WinXP). I restarted the machine and went to download the new adaware free from download.com.

After it installed, the computer required a reboot...so I went ahead with that. Then after the reboot, I opened adaware.........and got the same old message..that my license had expired!

Sooo, I tried the whole uninstall thing again and did a complete shutdown and restart. Then I redownloaded the version 8.1 (2010) program...installed, rebooted. And up popped the message that my license had expired........Then, I read the advice in the section above about uninstalling and tried some of the suggestions. The only thing I didn't try was to get an earlier version. I downloaded adaware from tucows, download.com, and the lavasoft site.

I don't want the paid version anymore. How do I get the freeware again?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by kblue, 24 December 2009 - 02:19 AM.

#2 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:40 AM

The add/remove uninstall must be leaving something behind, most likely a registry entry. Try using Revo Uninstaller (revouninstaller.com) to do the clean uninstall. Use the highest setting to delete Lavasoft/Ad-Aware.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#3 kblue

kblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:45 AM

The add/remove uninstall must be leaving something behind, most likely a registry entry. Try using Revo Uninstaller (revouninstaller.com) to do the clean uninstall. Use the highest setting to delete Lavasoft/Ad-Aware.

Thanks,

I'm in the middle of downloading 7 to see if I can get rid of 'whatever' is going on, as per the pinned suggestion above. If that doesn't work, I'll try revo.

#4 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:33 PM

I'm not sure which pinned topic to which you're referring. If you mean Win 7, you shouldn't need to change OS in order to get Ad-Aware working, that's a bit of overkill. If you mean Ad-Aware 2007, it's obsolete so you shouldn't install it. I'd recommend Anniversary Editon version 8.0 or 2010 version 8.1
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#5 kblue

kblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 02:57 AM

The pinned topic to which I was referring is the one on uninstalling adaware. A suggestion is to install an older version over top of the one that is not uninstalling and the poster mentions Adaware 2007. Sorry I was not clear on that.

I have been trying to get 8.1 Free to work after installing it. I used to have Anniversary (paid) ..then upgraded to Plus (still paid)...which has now expired and I am trying to just get 8.1 Free. I am getting very frustrated. I am going to try your uninstall program next. No matter what I do, I get this...(see attached jpeg). I cannot bypass this screen. It keeps wanting me to buy and enter a license number!

I have uninstalled and reinstalled 8.1 four times now and nothing changes. I reboot when asked and even go to a complete shutdown and restart.

Attached Thumbnails

• Adaware1.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users