• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gussuk

gussuk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:29 AM

for quite some time now every time i run an Ad-Aware scan Norton starts detecting multiple threats and one of them is the Ad-Aware save-now. Symantec support tells me to chose one or the other but not to use 2 programs. what's up with that? do they work together or not. both are paid versions and the latest available.

Edited by gussuk, 10 December 2009 - 08:29 AM.

#2 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:15 AM

What is "save-now?" I'm not familiar with that in Lavasoft's Ad-Aware. There was a problem with Norton's Tamper Protection causing Ad-Aware scans to stall, but that was fixed recently with software update 8.1.2. As a paid user, you should contact Lavasoft Customer Support (link in my signature) to let them know Symantec/Norton still detects Ad-Aware as a threat even when it's not.

They are correct though, generally it's advised to run only 1 real-time protection program to avoid conflicts such as this, where Norton gets paranoid that another program is scanning its files. Usually you can just shutdown other apps while you're scanning, but with Norton you have to temporarily disable the Tamper Protection.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#3 gussuk

gussuk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:51 PM

What is "save-now?" I'm not familiar with that in Lavasoft's Ad-Aware. There was a problem with Norton's Tamper Protection causing Ad-Aware scans to stall, but that was fixed recently with software update 8.1.2. As a paid user, you should contact Lavasoft Customer Support (link in my signature) to let them know Symantec/Norton still detects Ad-Aware as a threat even when it's not.

They are correct though, generally it's advised to run only 1 real-time protection program to avoid conflicts such as this, where Norton gets paranoid that another program is scanning its files. Usually you can just shutdown other apps while you're scanning, but with Norton you have to temporarily disable the Tamper Protection.

aparently it is some kind of advertisement that lavasoft has installed in ad-aware. since this is a paid version why am i buying advertising?

Updated: February 13, 2007 11:32:37 AM
Type: Adware
Version: 2.1
Publisher: WhenU
Risk Impact: Low
File Names: Save.exe VVSN.exe xplus.exe savenow.exe WUInst.dll
Systems Affected: Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP

Behavior
Adware.Savenow is an adware program that downloads and displays advertisements.

Note: Detections dated April 7th, 2005 or earlier may detect components of this adware as Adware.PurityScan.
Symptoms
Files are detected as Adware.Savenow.
Transmission
This adware program must be manually installed The adware may also be installed as a component of another program. In all such cases, the fact that Adware.Savenow will be installed has been made clear in the End-User License Agreement (EULA).
ProtectionInitial Rapid Release version August 18, 2003
Latest Rapid Release version December 3, 2009 revision 022
Initial Daily Certified version August 18, 2003 revision 003
Latest Daily Certified version December 3, 2009 revision 052
Initial Weekly Certified release date August 18, 2003
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.

#4 casey_boy

casey_boy

Volunteer Helper/Moderator

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:04 PM

Hi,

You've run into a common misunderstanding. The above has absolutely NOTHING to do with Ad-Aware.

Note the subtleties:

Publisher: WhenU

Ad-Aware is published by Lavasoft

File Names: Save.exe VVSN.exe xplus.exe savenow.exe WUInst.dll

None of these files exist in the Ad-Aware's installation.

Files are detected as Adware.Savenow.

Lavasoft's program is called Ad-Aware (note the extra 'A'). Adware without the extra 'A' is a category of malware.

Hope that clears things up for you,

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users