• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 swami7774

swami7774

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:43 PM

I just ran the web update on Adaware, and now I can't open it. I keep getting an notice saying "As-Aware has shut down unexpectedly and has generated an error report."
Anyone know about this?

#2 swami7774

swami7774

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:55 PM

I've been using Ad-Aware for years (free edition)with no problems--until yesterday. I ran the most recent web update, then tried to scan. The program locks up and shuts itself off every time. I uninstalled, then reinstalled, but am getting the same problem.
Any thoughts?

#3 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 09:51 PM

Over-the-top updates don't seem to work well. You might first do a clean uninstall using revouninstaller.com. Then download a fresh copy of the installer from lavasoft.com, save it to your hard drive, and execute it after turning off all other applications/processes.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#4 swami7774

swami7774

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 01:56 AM

Over-the-top updates don't seem to work well. You might first do a clean uninstall using revouninstaller.com. Then download a fresh copy of the installer from lavasoft.com, save it to your hard drive, and execute it after turning off all other applications/processes.

Why revo uninstall? Is the built-in uninstall in Lavasoft not good enough?

Edited by swami7774, 01 November 2009 - 01:56 AM.

#5 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 12:38 PM

Is the built-in uninstall in Lavasoft not good enough?

"Good enough" is hard to say. Some people don't have any problems, but many do. Revo does a better job cleaning things which factory uninstallers often leave behind - that's one reason why such software exists.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#6 swami7774

swami7774

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 02:44 PM

"Good enough" is hard to say. Some people don't have any problems, but many do. Revo does a better job cleaning things which factory uninstallers often leave behind - that's one reason why such software exists.

Okay, I'll try it. FYI, I uninstalled and reinstalled Ad-Aware again yesterday(using the built-in uninstall) and am getting the same lockup problems. Whatever recent update Lavasoft put in is causing this, I think.

#7 swami7774

swami7774

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 04:33 PM

I've downloaded 8.1 repeatedly, and it simply doesn't run without freezing up my computer. Until Lavasoft sends out a fix, I want to go back to the 2009 Anniversary Edition.
Unfortunately, I can't find any site for a download. They all mirror back to 8.1
Suggestions?

#8 casey_boy

casey_boy

Volunteer Helper/Moderator

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:40 PM

www.filehippo.com

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#9 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:43 AM

Whatever recent update Lavasoft put in is causing this, I think.

The factory uninstaller problem goes back further, at least back to the release of AE. I started here in April, after SE was discontinued, and the Revo suggestion was big back then. Luckily, I didn't need it - my AE installation was fine after I had done a clean uninstall of SE by manually deleting files, folders, and registry entries. Reply back after you try Revo. If a clean install doesn't work, we'll try to find the problem.

Edit: I just saw this post:

http://www.lavasofts...s...st&p=112775

So either you tried it and it didn't work, or just threw in the towel. Since you're going back to AE, I guess I'll close this thread now. If you need it reopened, contact any moderator.

Edited by visitor, 22 December 2009 - 06:42 AM.

#10 swami7774

swami7774

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:16 AM

I've downloaded and reinstalled the latest Ad-Aware 5 separate times. All 5 times it has run partially through a scan(full or smart), found "an object" and immediately crashed.
This never happened with the earlier versions.
Is this latest version a bust?

FYI I'm running Windows XP.

#11 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

Valued Member and HJT Analyst

• PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:19 AM

Hi swami7774,

What object is Ad-Aware having a problem removing?
PM for support will not be answered, please post in the appropriate forum, thank you.

Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#12 swami7774

swami7774

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:10 AM

Hi swami7774,

What object is Ad-Aware having a problem removing?

That's the problem: I can't tell. It quits before identifying what it is.
The program just freezes up and I have to force-quit the thing.

#13 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

Valued Member and HJT Analyst

• PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:48 AM

Please follow the instructions HERE so we can help clean up your computer.
PM for support will not be answered, please post in the appropriate forum, thank you.

Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#14 paperdragon

paperdragon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 04:22 PM

That's the problem: I can't tell. It quits before identifying what it is.
The program just freezes up and I have to force-quit the thing.

I too am having this same issue. I recently started having random web pages popping up in my browser. I ran Spybot, Malwarebytes and McAfee and they all reported no problems. I ran an older version of Ad-aware and it didnt find anything either. I decided to download Ad-aware 8.1.3 and immediately started having issues. First it would take up to a minute to load. Once loaded it would find an object but would eventually just stop running(without identifying what it found). I would have to manually force the program closed. This has happened many times now. I do know that the object is in the Critical Objects section of the scan but I cant get AA to only run that section. It wants to run that AND all files which is when it usually hangs. It does get past the 'enumerating clsids' which Ive read was an issue. Is it possible that whatever object AA finds might itself be causing AA to hang?

Jeff

#15 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:54 PM

Is it possible that whatever object AA finds might itself be causing AA to hang?

I think that's it exactly - some new malware or variants are resistant to removal by security programs. You should read the instructions in my signature about posting in the HijackThis forum. Somebody there can help you with detection and removal of the malware, and if you upload the malicious files found to Lavasoft, they can find a way to defeat it :)

#16 anotherguest

anotherguest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:00 PM

I have the same problem. I just downloaded and installed 8.1.3. I ran a full scan and after an hour and a half it locked up my computer. I had to reboot. I tried a quick scan and same thing; about 30 seconds and locked up agian and I had to reboot. I don't know what the object was but both times it was in the process of scanning tracking cookies. I'm running Windows XP SP3. I used AdAware for years and was always happy with it, but not anymore. Seems lots of people are having this problem and whoever posted in November that this bug was fixed in 8.1.2 apparently didn't know what he was talking about.

#17 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:32 PM

whoever posted in November that this bug was fixed in 8.1.2 apparently didn't know what he was talking about.

I think you're confusing this bug with scans hanging when Norton/Symantec is installed. I have not seen any feedback from Lavasoft on scans hanging or program crashing when something is detected. Plus it's hard to narrow down - if it is malware interfering with Ad-Aware, there has been no feedback here after a cleanup in the HijackThis section to let us know if it helped or if the problem still exists.

#18 anotherguest

anotherguest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:25 PM

I forgot to mention that - Yes, I also tried turning OFF Norton Tamper Protection. That didn't work. Same result.

Edited by visitor, 30 December 2009 - 11:34 AM.

#19 CharlieK

CharlieK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:47 AM

I just installed 8.1, and find that my computer crashes every time I run the scan. I don't know what happens, and my screensaver kicked in so all I see is a black screen. After rebooting and retuning to Adaware, I see that Adaware says there have been no scans yet.

Edited by visitor, 30 December 2009 - 11:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users