• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 transuranicman

transuranicman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 06:13 AM

I was having trouble with getting Internet Explorer 8 working with 64 bit Windows Vista. One of the troubleshooting steps finally required me to make sure that it was not LavaSoft Anniversary Edition, so I uninstalled it and did the Vista 64 bit test. It was not LavaSoft, so then it was time to reinstall. Rather than use my downloaded file from 6 months ago, I decided to use the latest download from LavaSoft. I have been a LavaSoft customer for 3 years now. I was shocked by the download. It was so full of crapware (software I did not want and did not ask for), it blew me away! At least 3 windows popped up. It was such an unwanted experience, that I backed up critical files and reimaged my main drive to recover.

I cannot believe this! Software that I have paid good money for, for years, is now filled with advertisements for other software. I mean, if I had been using this software for years for free, then the advertisements and attempted installs of crapware would not have bothered me so much, but because I paid hard earned dollars for Ad Aware, it shocked me. I guess many people have been using the free version for years, so LavaSoft feels justified in punishing them with crapware, but to do so, they punish their paying customers also.

I had to spend hours doing a Ghost recovery. So what lesson did I learn? I have no idea.

#2 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:49 AM

Rather than use my downloaded file from 6 months ago, I decided to use the latest download from LavaSoft.

So what lesson did I learn? I have no idea.

Well, you've learned to save installer files from old versions! It's incredible how many people still don't do this.

Did you download it from http://lavasoft.com/..._aware_free.php ? Clicking "More Download Sites" shows all the mirror sites. (i.e. rather than Googling for Ad-Aware, which often leads to rogue imposter sites).

The reason I ask is that you're the first person to bring this up since the release of the new version, Ad-Aware Anti-Malware version 8.1. It was released Tuesday and usually there would have been tons of posts about this by now. Also, as far as I know, Lavasoft only promotes their own products, not 3rd party.

If you downloaded from a legit mirror like cnet, the installer file should be Ad-AwareInstallation.exe (73.52 mb)
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#3 bliss007

bliss007

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 12:52 AM

Well, you've learned to save installer files from old versions! It's incredible how many people still don't do this.

Did you download it from http://lavasoft.com/..._aware_free.php ? Clicking "More Download Sites" shows all the mirror sites. (i.e. rather than Googling for Ad-Aware, which often leads to rogue imposter sites).

The reason I ask is that you're the first person to bring this up since the release of the new version, Ad-Aware Anti-Malware version 8.1. It was released Tuesday and usually there would have been tons of posts about this by now. Also, as far as I know, Lavasoft only promotes their own products, not 3rd party.

If you downloaded from a legit mirror like cnet, the installer file should be Ad-AwareInstallation.exe (73.52 mb)

He is correct, it comes with crap like Goggle Chrome etc.

I always choose Custom Install, not sure if you choose normal will Chrome sneak on.

I grabbed the new build as soon as it was mentioned (no posts here yet) and it was names .EXE (correct no file name lol), later on it was given a proper full file name from same official site.

BTW I am also a PRO user (not a happy one) and do not expect crap to even come with something I paid for, ok if its free and even then most vendors still give you a choice.

Edited by bliss007, 17 October 2009 - 12:54 AM.

#4 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:06 AM

Oops, I forgot about Google Chrome

http://www.lavasoft....s-your-security

The option was supposed to be clear - "Install Ad-Aware Only" or "Install Ad-Aware and Google Chrome"

I was wondering why the installer is now 74mb instead of 40mb.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#5 casey_boy

casey_boy

Volunteer Helper/Moderator

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:18 AM

The option was supposed to be clear - "Install Ad-Aware Only" or "Install Ad-Aware and Google Chrome"

It is clear ;). The user has to make a choice to either install it or not. There are no tick boxes with default values or anything like that. (Visitor, it looks exactly like CJ's screenshot).

@transuranicman, I think you probably didn't download the offcial Ad-Aware. As discussed here, the only thing you could say is that you have to make one extra decision in the installation - but Ad-Aware definitely does not install ANYTHING without your permission and the only thing you could install is the Google Chrome browser, so I'd hardly say its full of crapware.

@bliss007, I agree about the pro and plus - I don't think they should have it. However, Lavasoft has only one installer for all versions. Also, Lavasoft have tried to portray this as a benefit to users so I'm not sure they'd back down on that. However, having said that, the user DOES always have the choice - you have to click a install chrome or dont install chrome button and they are both as equally big and on the same page etc so nothing gets installed by default.

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#6 bliss007

bliss007

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 01:19 PM

I cannot comment on the crapware in normal mode as I always choose custom mode to install so I have never seen normal mode (because I know vendors try to do this kind of thing).
So if they still give you a choice that's good but as a Pro user I rather not have it in the file talking up most of the file size period.

Edited by bliss007, 17 October 2009 - 01:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users