• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 campy-1321

campy-1321

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:22 AM

Homebuilt computer with Intel 3.3 gHz dual core CPU, MS Vista Home Premium, Norton 2010. Downloaded new Ad Aware last night and it uninstalled Ad Aware AE as it should have. Updated and then tried to run the new Ad Aware and it got to about 2016 searches and stalled just like the old AE version. Had to restart the computer and try again--did the same thing. Shut down Norton 2010, restarted the computer and ran Ad Aware again, it stalled after a few searches. Got a notice that new software or update was available for the new Ad Aware when the new Ad Aware window was opened (software update already?)--thought hot dog! there is a fix. Clicked on the "update now", verified the Lavasoft address and downloaded the "new" software, it uninstalled the previous new Ad Aware then quit with no Lavasoft software on the hard drive--it did not install the "update". Had to re-enter the website and download Ad Aware again. This time the software was downloaded with a red warning--no scanning engine found. Forced the install, by opening the folder and using the .exe. New Ad Aware still will not scan the hard drive. Wrote to Symantec and asked if their software was interfering--they said NOPE--not them.

Listen up Ad Aware guys, I'm just about ready to give up on your software. I've never seen anything so bad in my 20 years of building computers and writing software. The old AE didn't work and this new stuff is just as bad. What's up with that?

#2 spot6224

spot6224

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:28 AM

Listen up Ad Aware guys, I'm just about ready to give up on your software. I've never seen anything so bad in my 20 years of building computers and writing software. The old AE didn't work and this new stuff is just as bad. What's up with that?

I got the same feeling after ad-aware doing exactly the opposite from what it should do and being unable to change any setting about that

#3 campy-1321

campy-1321

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:54 AM

I got the same feeling after ad-aware doing exactly the opposite from what it should do and being unable to change any setting about that

Yes, me too! Have checked everything on this computer, right down to the registry and have found nothing wrong. Have run countless full scans with Norton 2010 and it has found nothing. Have already spent several hours trying to solve the problem without luck. Even downloaded a few other brands of anti-malware software to see if the computer had some kind of new "superbug" stuck on it and that was stopping Ad Aware. Found nothing. Have Windows Defender and Windows Firewall both operating. Windows Defender has found nothing in a scan just a few hours ago. The computer is operating properly with a score of 5.6 out of 6.0 which is about the highest I've seen. CPU resources at idle are 0-1% only and that is really low.

The problem is with Ad Aware and the software is not working as designed...or maybe it is working as designed?? I've been tempted to buy into software like Ad Aware Pro, etc., but if you guys can't even get the base software to work that leaves me kinda cold. Sorry, no sale here.

#4 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:40 AM

Wrote to Symantec and asked if their software was interfering--they said NOPE--not them.

They lied. Disabling Norton won't do the trick, you have to turn off its Anti-Tamper function:

Ad-Aware Scan Freeze

This started in late August, and Lavasoft has been in touch with Norton/Symantec about the conflict.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#5 Dinole

Dinole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 05:42 AM

Hi,

i have also installed yesterday Ád Aware on 3 computers and i also use NIS 2010 but i have no problems and the scan with Ad Aware and NIS 2010 works fine here.

Michael

#6 campy-1321

campy-1321

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:00 AM

They lied. Disabling Norton won't do the trick, you have to turn off its Anti-Tamper function:

Ad-Aware Scan Freeze

This started in late August, and Lavasoft has been in touch with Norton/Symantec about the conflict.

Nope, can't see that they lied...deleted Ad-Aware 8.1 and tried to reload. Guess what? Got a warning in red stating that "scan engine could not be found". Norton 2010 was disabled, as well as the "tamper protection". Same stuff that happened before. As an aside, have a laptop with MS Vista Home Premium 64 bit with the Norton 2010 and Ad-Aware 8.1 and everything works as advertised. The problems that am finding with new 8.1 acts like trying to use 64 bit software with a 32 bit OS. I don't believe that this is a Norton problem as it recognizes the software and a flag pops up stating that it is safe.

Oops, spoke too soon. Just plugged in the laptop to see if Ad-Aware 8.1 still worked. Did a download, clicked out of it, then clicked it on and got a popup for upgrading to new Ad-Aware. Oh great. Now I get to go thru that.... At least it doesn't hang up on scans.

Edited by campy-1321, 14 October 2009 - 09:39 AM.

#7 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:51 AM

I had exactly the same problems, finally deleted Ad-Aware 8.1 and that ended the problem...forever. I won't download it again until it is fixed.

OK, since spot6224's issue is now being addressed in the False Positives forum, and campy-1321's decided to uninstall 8.1, I'll close this thread now.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users