• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 jawlaw

jawlaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:31 PM

I just downloaded the new version of AdAware onto three (3) computers. All are running Norton Internet Security 2009. One runs Windows XP Pro, one runs Vista Home Premium 32 bit and one runs Vista Home Premium 64 bit. The AdAware worked properly on the XP Pro and the Vista 64 bit. However, it froze at about 4000 files on the Vista 32 bit. It would not let me cancel the scan. I then re-booted the computer, disabled Norton and tried the scan again. Still would not work. I re-enabled Norton but disabled the Tamper Protection. Again, AdAware froze - the clock kept running but it was not scanning after a few thousand files. It would not close normally so I closed it with Task Manager. However, the task bar icon kept running and would not stop. When I clicked on the icon, AdAware opened up, showing no files scanned, while the clock kept running. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THIS PROGRAM?

#2 casey_boy

casey_boy

Volunteer Helper/Moderator

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:12 PM

Ok, so you're having this on just the one computer?

Could you run a scan with Norton and see if it detects any problems please. Sometimes malware makes Ad-Aware lock up. Do you know in what section the scan froze?

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#3 granada

granada

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:04 PM

I have experienced a similar sort of problem.
Just installed V8.1.0 on Windows XP Home version 2002 with SP3 and AVG.
On initial scan and subsequent scans AdAware starts scanning objects but then sticks
at [enumerating clsid's]. Stop scan becomes inoperative. Recovery can only be obtained via
the task manager. Any ideas?

#4 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:45 AM

On initial scan and subsequent scans AdAware starts scanning objects but then sticks at [enumerating clsid's].

There are multiple reports where scans stall at "enumerating clsid's." I've reported it to Lavasoft so they can look into it.

Edited by visitor, 15 October 2009 - 12:50 AM.

Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#5 JonHildrum

JonHildrum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:30 PM

I have that problem. I have installed the upgrade on several computers running winXP SP# and windows 7. Everything works fine on most. However, on one computer (winXP SP3), it gets to enumerating CLSIDs -stays there for a few seconds and then adaware exits without completing the scan. I have tried quick scan and full scan - same result. I also tried booting into safe mode and got the same results. I removed Adawre and reinstalled. Still same result.
I then removed adawre 8.1 and reinstalled the anniversary edition. It worked fine as it did prior to upgrading to 8.1

Edited by JonHildrum, 15 October 2009 - 06:31 PM.

#6 jawlaw

jawlaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:44 PM

:unsure:

Could you run a scan with Norton and see if it detects any problems please. Sometimes malware makes Ad-Aware lock up. Do you know in what section the scan froze?

Casey

I did a full Norton scan and did not find any irregularities. Then I started an AdAware scan. The program froze at 2min 8 sec, on file 4279. Current Section: Processes. Current Object: c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe. The Stop Scan button was ineffective and I had to use Task Manager to stop the program. The taskbar icon was still active, so I had to reboot my computer. Do you have any ideas? Thank you.

#7 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:41 PM

The program froze at 2min 8 sec, on file 4279. Current Section: Processes. Current Object: c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe.

It seems you had IE open when scanning? Try scanning with no other processes running. I do this to avoid conflicts, as well as free up system resources so scans will be as fast as possible.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#8 jawlaw

jawlaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:14 PM

It seems you had IE open when scanning? Try scanning with no other processes running. I do this to avoid conflicts, as well as free up system resources so scans will be as fast as possible.

No, neither IE or any other program was open at the time.

#9 jawlaw

jawlaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:17 AM

Casey

Is there any way to resolve this problem? Is the company working on a fix? If not, I will have to uninstall this program because it just does not work.

#10 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:06 AM

No word yet from Lavasoft about the current version's scan problems. I wouldn't expect a fix in 5 days though, since they need to replicate the problem and then fix it. Apparently none of this came up during beta testing, so it's new to them.

For scans stalling at "enumerating clsid's", please check this thread for updates.

Edited by visitor, 19 October 2009 - 04:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users