#1 hopscotch

hopscotch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:36 PM

Hi --

Another, different browser problem.

I have my settings under options set pretty strictly -- no browser history, no third-party cookies, all first-party cookies expire at end of session, no history for forms or passwords.

When I visit certain legitimate sites that use a guy I know as a part-time moderator, these settings are surreptitiously changed.

I've had problems with this guy in the past -- he's used first-party tracking cookies from the sites he works on to watch me surf and used the information to make harassing phone calls, follow me around, etc.

That's why I set the privacy options so strictly. I also put the legitimate sites he monitors on my exceptions list, so no cookies at all are accepted from them.

A couple of the sites are professional sites I need to use for news, job ads, etc., so I can't avoid all the ones he works on. He seems to have made a point of applying to these, after I stopped using others he moderated.

I could report him, but he's a pity case and it's also not the kind of thing I want peers to remember me for!

Is there a way I can prevent him from altering my privacy settings and exceptions list, other than turning him in?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks!

Hopscotch

#2 casey_boy

casey_boy

Volunteer Helper/Moderator

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:17 AM

You can't modify those sorts of settings through cookies.

If he really is responsible for that, then it's far more serious than you seem to think and you should contact the appropriate persons (i.e. the admins of the sites and any appropriate law enforcement official).

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#3 hopscotch

hopscotch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:33 AM

You can't modify those sorts of settings through cookies.

If he really is responsible for that, then it's far more serious than you seem to think and you should contact the appropriate persons (i.e. the admins of the sites and any appropriate law enforcement official).

Casey

Hi Casey -- how, then, can they be altered? Because I've seen them change -- I was aware a few times they had changed, so I began opening the dialogue box and watching.

For examples, remember information for forms and passwords was turned on once. Accept third-party cookies was turned on several times. And sites I blocked were switched to "allow."

This has only happened on sites I know this guy moderates.

Thanks!

#4 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:05 AM

I could report him, but he's a pity case and it's also not the kind of thing I want peers to remember me for!

Why would your peers think any less of you for taking action against a stalker?
I'm a bit confused over this and your other post - browser settings and security software protect against electronic tracking, e.g. internet usage for marketing purposes, data mining, and keeping internet history private on a shared computer. If this stalker is calling you and following you around, it means has your private information and has crossed the line from the electronic world to real life.

The only way he would be able to change your browser settings is if he has gained remote access to your computer. That would also explain why he might have your personal information and know your plans, via Outlook calendar, etc., unless, of course, your posting this info publicly online. Cookies are considered low threat since they are fairly passive, whereas any form of remote control over a computer is considered critical.

At this point, it sounds like your problems extend way beyond browser settings and Ad-Aware's ability to clean cookies, etc. You need to consider how a stranger got access to your personal info and how dangerous that can be.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users