• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 gdnestlake

gdnestlake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:19 PM

When attempting to run Ad-Aware, get message that reads, in part, as follows: Dynamic Link Library MSVCP90.ddl could not be found in the specified path C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware;.....What do I need to do to get past this? Thanks

#2 casey_boy

casey_boy

Volunteer Helper/Moderator

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:00 PM

Hi,

What operating system and service pack are you running?

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#3 gdnestlake

gdnestlake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:28 PM

Sorry, quite a novice so may not understand some of your nomenclature....but am on Windows Professional 2000, if that helps?

#4 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:46 AM

If you right-click My Computer - Properties - General Tab, it should say which Service Pack just under Win 2000 Pro.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#5 gdnestlake

gdnestlake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:37 AM

If you right-click My Computer - Properties - General Tab, it should say which Service Pack just under Win 2000 Pro.

OK...thanks for your patience; Service Pack 4

#6 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:37 AM

OK, well you need to have the latest updates installed for Windows 2000 SP4 and that includes roll-up 1.

It is available to download from Microsoft here.

I would then suggest when this is installed to remove Ad-Aware and then reinstall it - hopefully it'll work then :)

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#7 gdnestlake

gdnestlake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 03:34 AM

Hi...

Downloaded software you suggested successfully, uninstalled Ad-Aware, then downloaded and reinstalled current version of Ad-Aware AE, to no avail; still get the same message as originally reported, that the dynamic link library MSVCP90.ddl can not be found, and the program will not start. Other ideas??

#8 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:18 AM

OK, well the file you mention is part of the C++ runtime installed alongside Ad-Aware. So what I will suggest now is for you to reinstall that.

The runtime can be downloaded from Microsoft here

Please uninstall Ad-Aware (again - a pain, I know), install the runtime, restart and then try reinstalling Ad-Aware.

Casey

#9 gdnestlake

gdnestlake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:30 PM

OK, well you need to have the latest updates installed for Windows 2000 SP4 and that includes roll-up 1.

It is available to download from Microsoft here.

I would then suggest when this is installed to remove Ad-Aware and then reinstall it - hopefully it'll work then :D

Casey

Ok....installed Runtime, uninstalled and reinstalled Ad-Aware. Seems we made some progress, as the original message is gone, but the program still will not run; the new message is as follows:

The procedure entry point ?_X func@tr1@std@@YAXXZ could not be located in the dynamic link library MSVCP90.dll

Appreciate the help, looks like we might be gaining. Thanks

#10 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:03 AM

Ok, so I got a hit on your new error here in the forums: http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=23267

Whilst it's not particularly useful - it does suggest that we need to perform a clean install, i.e. remove all traces of Ad-Aware rather than just uninstalling. What I'd like you to do is to run Revo on its highest setting to remove Ad-Aware. This should delete all traces of it from your computer. Restart and then reinstall.

Casey

#11 gdnestlake

gdnestlake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:31 PM

Ok, so I got a hit on your new error here in the forums: http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=23267

Whilst it's not particularly useful - it does suggest that we need to perform a clean install, i.e. remove all traces of Ad-Aware rather than just uninstalling. What I'd like you to do is to run Revo on its highest setting to remove Ad-Aware. This should delete all traces of it from your computer. Restart and then reinstall.

Casey

OK....downloaded revo and uninstalled Ad-Aware as well as Spybot, then reinstalled Ad-Aware AE, but we are still at the same point: Ad-Aware will not open or run, and get the same message; The procedure point ?_Xfunc@tr1@std@@YAXXZ could not be located in the dynamic link library MSVCP90.dll Your thoughts?? Gw

#12 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:30 PM

Ah. Shame.

So the file is part of the Microsoft C++ run-time environment and Ad-Aware needs it. Originally the file was missing so we installed the the run-time and reinstalled Ad-Aware. But now we have the error saying that a proceedure in the file cannot be located.

Basically, I would now suggest that you uninstall Ad-Aware again using Revo and possibly the Run-time we installed and wait until tomorrow when the new version of Ad-Aware is released. Try installing that and see if you encounter the same problem.

I know we wont really have solved it even if it does work, but I can't really see another way forward. If it doesn't work, I'll try and get someone else to have a look at this for you!

Casey

#13 gdnestlake

gdnestlake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:23 PM

Ah. Shame.

So the file is part of the Microsoft C++ run-time environment and Ad-Aware needs it. Originally the file was missing so we installed the the run-time and reinstalled Ad-Aware. But now we have the error saying that a proceedure in the file cannot be located.

Basically, I would now suggest that you uninstall Ad-Aware again using Revo and possibly the Run-time we installed and wait until tomorrow when the new version of Ad-Aware is released. Try installing that and see if you encounter the same problem.

I know we wont really have solved it even if it does work, but I can't really see another way forward. If it doesn't work, I'll try and get someone else to have a look at this for you!

Casey

Casey....basically started from scratch; used Revo to uninstall all Ad-Aware, as well as Spybot, then installed Roll-up and Runtime. Then downloaded and installed AdwarePro. When attempting to run, now get a message "The procedure entry point getaddrinfo could not be located in the dynamic link library WS2_32.dll If the length of the failure message is any indication, then perhaps we are gaining on the problem??? Gw

#14 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 05:39 PM

Ok now this is a different sort of problem. The file you mentioned is part of the core operating system (i.e. your version of Windows)

http://www.bang.ro/dll/ws2_32.dll.htm

Now I can only suggest that you might need to repair the file. However, I'm not sure of the best way forward for this. You can try running Windows Update to see if any updates will help solve it, or you can try and repair Windows from your original source disk.

Did you download the new version of Ad-Aware (i.e. 8.1 not AE)?

Casey

#15 kb91

kb91

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:59 PM

I'll repost this in a separate topic if necessary, but I'm having the same issues as the Original Poster when trying to run Ad Aware.

I'm on Windows XP Media Center Edition SP2

I've run the Nevo uninstaller, uninstalled AdAware on the highest setting and re-installed but get the same error msg:

The procedure point ?_Xfunc@tr1@std@@YAXXZ could not be located in the dynamic link library MSVCP90.dll

I have not downloaded and installed the runtime as described above.

Help?

#16 gdnestlake

gdnestlake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:34 PM

Ok now this is a different sort of problem. The file you mentioned is part of the core operating system (i.e. your version of Windows)

http://www.bang.ro/dll/ws2_32.dll.htm

Now I can only suggest that you might need to repair the file. However, I'm not sure of the best way forward for this. You can try running Windows Update to see if any updates will help solve it, or you can try and repair Windows from your original source disk.

Did you download the new version of Ad-Aware (i.e. 8.1 not AE)?

Casey

Casey.....I'll try running Windows Update, but since I'm such a novice, repairing from the original disk does not mean anything to me??? And yes, I did install the newest version of Ad-Aware, AdAwarePro. Noticed that another poster, KB91 is getting one of the same error messages that we were getting a while back. Hmmmmm Thanks Gw

#17 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:01 PM

install the newest version of Ad-Aware, AdAwarePro.

You have Ad-Aware pro? I should have asked...

With the paid versions you are entitled to seek support from the Lavasoft support team who are better trained to deal with these issues. I recommend you get in contact with the support team, via the support center (link in signature) and inform them of your problems.

I would also link them to this topic so they can see what we have already tried.

If they manage to resolve this issue, then please take the time to reply with the fix here.

Casey

#18 gdnestlake

gdnestlake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:42 AM

You have Ad-Aware pro? I should have asked...

With the paid versions you are entitled to seek support from the Lavasoft support team who are better trained to deal with these issues. I recommend you get in contact with the support team, via the support center (link in signature) and inform them of your problems.

I would also link them to this topic so they can see what we have already tried.

If they manage to resolve this issue, then please take the time to reply with the fix here.

Casey

Casey......I just downloaded and installed the Ad-Aware Pro, but as far as I know, it is not a paid version, as there was no charge when I downloaded it; are you thinking of another version? I had not intended to purchase any version since this is just for my home use. Gw

#19 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:31 AM

I did install the newest version of Ad-Aware, AdAwarePro.

I just downloaded and installed the Ad-Aware Pro, but as far as I know, it is not a paid version

You should have Lavasoft Ad-Aware Free Anti-Malware version 8.1 downloaded from lavasoft.com. Ad-Aware Plus and Pro Internet Security are the paid upgrades with extra features, including Lavasoft Customer Support. Make sure you didn't accidentally download/install a rogue software product called Adware Pro.

If you had a previous version of Ad-Aware Pro installed with a valid license, it would carry over to the new version 8.1.

Edited by visitor, 15 October 2009 - 05:33 AM.

Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#20 gdnestlake

gdnestlake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:24 AM

You should have Lavasoft Ad-Aware Free Anti-Malware version 8.1 downloaded from lavasoft.com. Ad-Aware Plus and Pro Internet Security are the paid upgrades with extra features, including Lavasoft Customer Support. Make sure you didn't accidentally download/install a rogue software product called Adware Pro.

If you had a previous version of Ad-Aware Pro installed with a valid license, it would carry over to the new version 8.1.

OK....you and Casey were both quite correct, I had downloaded a rogue software called Adware Pro, but since you were correct in challenging the software, I used Revo to uninstall it, downloaded the Runtime software, also the current MicroSoft updates, then downloaded and installed the Ad-Aware 8.1 software and then tried to run it. Apparently nothing has changed, the program will not start and get the following error message: The procedure entry point ?_Xfunc@tr1@std@@YAXXZ could not be located in the dynamic link library MSVCP90.dll I know we are all quite frustrated at this continued problem??? Further ideas? Gw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users