• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Joe

Mr Joe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:50 PM

I was able to install AE with no problems, but when I try to use it, I get an error message stating that the application configuration is incorrect and that reinstalling may correct the problem. I have tried reinstalling several times and still get the same error message. My pc is running XP Media Center with service pack 3.

#2 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:11 AM

Did you install AE over a previous version? If so, you should do a clean uninstall of all Lavasoft and Ad-Aware files, folders, and registry entries before installing AE. It's supposed to uninstall previous versions, but it doesn't work well. You can cleanup manually which is what I did, or use http://www.revouninstaller.com/ which others have used with success.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#3 Mr Joe

Mr Joe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 04:03 AM

I installed over the 2008 version. I tried the revo uninstaller and reinstalled AE, but still get the same error message.

#4 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:43 AM

when I try to use it, I get an error message

Does the error popup when you try to open the GUI or when you try to scan?

Can you attach a screenshot? It might help to see a message number or the exact text.

Check task manager to see if AAWService.exe and AAWTray.exe are both running.

Run services.msc and make sure Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service is Started and Automatic. If you right-click properties of the service, I attached images of the 4 property tabs here:

http://www.lavasofts...mp;#entry110774
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#5 Mr Joe

Mr Joe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:15 AM

The error message pops up first, the GUI never appears. I did notice that I have two Lavasoft folders under Program Files, which is obviously a problem. I attached screenshots of the error, registry entries, and the two Ad-Aware folder contents. I used the Revo Uninstaller again and took a screenshot of what it found. I deleted those items and reinstalled AE again. There is only one this time. The same error message still appears.

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot6.jpg

Attached Images

• screenshot1.jpg
  • screenshot2.jpg
  • screenshot3.jpg
  • screenshot4.jpg
  • screenshot5.jpg

#6 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:30 AM

Glad you got rid of the 2nd Ad-Aware folder!

Now, maybe 2 things:

1. Did you check these things from my last post?

Check task manager to see if AAWService.exe and AAWTray.exe are both running.

Run services.msc and make sure Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service is Started and Automatic. If you right-click properties of the service, I attached images of the 4 property tabs here:

http://www.lavasofts...mp;#entry110774

2. I noticed in your screenshot of C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware there is a file missing, metafile.dat
According to this post, in order to update Ad-Aware, this file is downloaded and compared to determine if update is available. I am not sure if this is initially installed, or downloaded with the 1st update. Maybe the error is due to the missing file? Right-click/Save this file to the Ad-Aware folder:

http://download.lava...09/metafile.dat

#7 lizgoode206

lizgoode206

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:10 PM

I was having the same problem and your information gave me what I needed to get it fixed. Thanks so much for your help.

#8 Mr Joe

Mr Joe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:48 AM

Neither AAWService.exe or AAWTray.exe are running. Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service does not appear when I run services.msc. I copied metafile.dat into the Ad Aware folder, but I still get the same error message.

#9 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:29 AM

Neither AAWService.exe or AAWTray.exe are running. Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service does not appear when I run services.msc.

OK, looks like you'll need to manually install the Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service:

How to install the Ad-Aware Service:
Sometimes an unsucessful install might not install the service correctly and when this occurs, we need to install the service.

Method 2:
Manually create the service - credit to mnelsoneorm

• Start > Run > type cmd > enter
  • In the black cmd window, type:
    sc create AAWService binpath= c:\program files\lavasoft\ad-aware\aawservice.exe displayname= "Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service"
    exactly as written here.
  • Restart your computer and see if Ad-Aware will run.

#10 Mr Joe

Mr Joe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 02:24 AM

I tried this, but the service is not getting created. I think the problem is the space between "program" and "files". I took it out and a service was created. However, the space needs to be there have the correct path for the service. I tried using "program files" with the quotes, but it would not create the service.

#11 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:15 PM

Hmmm, how about the string below. The original poster and another person got it to work, but I'm not sure if they used the abbreviated string with the ~1 or they completed the string as posted above.

sc create AAWService binpath= c:\progra~1\lavasoft\ad-aware\aawser~1.exe displayname= "Lavasoft Ad-Aware"

Sorry, if this doesn't work, it's beyond me and maybe someone else can offer a solution. However, I never asked if you're using the Free version. If you paid for the Plus or Pro version, you can contact Lavasoft for customer support via the link in my signature.

#12 Mr Joe

Mr Joe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 06:03 PM

I got the service created using that string, and I set it up like in your post from a few days back. Unfortunately, I still get the same configuration error message. The only difference is that it has an error number now, 14001.

#13 Mr Joe

Mr Joe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:04 PM

I googled "error 14001" and found this site along with many others.

http://www.velocityr...-incorrect.html

They fixed the problem by running this. Apparently the issue is with MS Visual C++ redistributable.

http://www.softdevla...credist_x86.exe

I tried it and it worked. The error message went away, and ad-aware tried to load. It couldn't load the service, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. It works fine now. Thanks for your help.

#14 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 10:17 PM

Thanks for posting back about error 14001 and the MS Visual C++ fix. Glad you finally got it to work! I'll close this thread now :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users