8 replies to this topic

#1 jom

jom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:57 AM

Hello

I think I got hit with the msa.exe virus and now all my anti-virus tools will not run, including Ad-aware. Spybot, Hijackthis and avast! all have service-like issues. They start then after a few seconds the program just quits. With Ad-aware is takes about 3 sec after you start a scan.

I've tried to uninstall all of these programs and the same thing happens: the program starts up once, crashes then you can start it again even after reboot.

What gives?

Thanks for any help you can give.

jom

#2 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:42 AM

You can try these procedures to see if you can get Ad-aware to connect to the service:

http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=26559

But if it's malware, read the instructions in my signature about posting a log in the HijackThis forum. Copy/paste or link to this thread to describe the problem, and somebody there can help you with malware removal.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#3 jom

jom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:22 PM

Thanks I'll give the first link a try. However, since Hijack is one of the programs that crash once started how do I get a log file from it? ;)

Let me try the first link though...

edit: OK, I've uninstalled and installed Ad-aware a couple of times and that did not work. I also checked the service and it IS set to "Automatic" (it always has been) however the status is BLANK not "started". Something seems to be keeping this particular service from starting.

AND...like I said I try to start Hijack and when I do it does it's thing for about a second then just stops....very similar to Ad-aware. So if I don't uninstall/reinstall Hijack I get "windows can't access specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access them"

edit again: Sorry...I forgot to mention: I can't start the Lavasoft service as it gives me an "error 5" error. "Could not start the Ad-aware service on local computer. Error 5: access denied"
Thanks

jom

Edited by jom, 08 September 2009 - 04:38 PM.

#4 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:06 AM

Ok, it sounds like you'll need help with malware removal. You might get HijackThis.exe to run if you rename it to something else like Bob.exe. If you do get a HijackThis log, post it per the instructions in my signature, but it's not a necessity. Once you've posted your problem there, they have various other diagnostic tools.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#5 jom

jom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:33 PM

Thanks Visitor

I kind of gave up yesterday and went and put a new copy of Windows on my drive. It looks like it went more smoothly than normal THIS TIME. :)

jom

#6 panther1

panther1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:00 PM

Dear sir or madam :) ,
I apologize if this is incorrect form as I'm newish here. Anyway the topic in this thread is pretty much what is happening to me but more aggressive. I have been locked out of about half of my files including internet explorer. I'm on my backup hard drive to search for a solution. My OS: XP sp3, I had AdwareAE, SpybtS@D, Bitdenfeder v7, and avg. I can't get any of them to run anymore. Well avg run for 4hrs and detects nothing. I have tracked the file several times just to have it start again on restart with system restore off. It added files like a.exe, b.exe to local services. It shows itself as the windows security service and wants you to have QuickHealCleaner take care of the problem. I honestly don't know what more to say, if you need more info or I should have started a new thread. Again I apologize. Thank you
Panther1

#7 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:54 AM

Panther1, read the instructions in my signature about posting a log in the HijackThis forum. Copy/paste or link to this thread to describe the problem, and somebody there can help you with malware removal.

#8 falcon1492

falcon1492

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 12:48 AM

I am having the exact same problem as Panther1 is having. Except I cant open any web browser or do any scan at all. I have tried running AVG, but nothing is found. I have tried re-naming ad aware, spybot and nothing will run. I cant download hijack this, and my computer wont recognize usb hard drives. So I can even transfer it to the computer. I have absolutley no idea of what to do. Help please!

#9 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:42 AM

falcon1492, read the instructions in my signature about posting a log in the HijackThis forum. Copy/paste or link to this thread to describe the problem, and somebody there can help you with malware removal. Installing HijackThis is not required since they have other diagnostic tools. The tools need to get onto the infected computer, but they can help you with getting online and/or the USB problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users