#1 GoddersUK

GoddersUK

Valued Member/ Ad-Aware Beta Tester

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:04 PM

Hi folks,

Just to let you know that we've become aware of a potential conflict between Symantec's "Norton" software and Ad-Aware, particularly on the Microsoft Windows Vista operating system. Essentially what's happening is that Norton is being a bit paranoid and jumping from fright whenever Ad-Aware tries to scan any of its files. This is confusing Ad-Aware which causes the scan to hang. We have let Lavasoft staff know and hopefully some kind of fix will be released asap (I can't promise anything though - especially as it appears that the problem is at Norton's end). It seems that Ad-Aware is not the only program having problems with this.

If this is affecting you and you are a Plus/Pro licensed user then I would advise you to contact the support centre for further advice, using the link in my signature. (I would particularly advise this as it ensures that Lavasoft have a good idea of how many users are being hit by the problem and a wide user base from which to compile data).

If you're a free user sit tight here and wait for further news.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you and hope it'll be resolved soon.

GoddersUK

Update:

The best advice that we can give right now is that this is a Norton problem and that a workaround is to disable the "anti-tampering" function within the Norton software if you wish to scan with Ad-Aware or another anti-malware program. This problem does seem to affect other software too, not just Ad-Aware.

Edited by GoddersUK, 29 August 2009 - 12:26 AM.
Update

If you are a paying user (Plus/Pro License) you should visit the Lavasoft Support Centre.

If you need help to remove an infection:

Read this first. Follow ALL the steps in it. If you do not then you will just be asked to go away and do so.
Then post your HJT log (copy and paste, don't attach) into a NEW topic in the HJT Log Forum
Await advice from either a Volunteer Security Advisor or a member of Lavasoft staff.

If you see anyone other than a VSA or Lavasoft staff member giving advice in the HijackThis forum please PM a mod.

DO NOT POST HJT LOGS IN ANY FORUM OTHER THAN THE OFFICIAL HJT LOG FORUM. We will be unable to deal with them there and will just tell you to go to the right place.

Please do NOT bump HijackThis log posts, it won't help you receive help any faster - the VSAs look for posts with zero replies. If after one week you have not received a response please repost your log file in a NEW thread.

#2 casey_boy

casey_boy

Volunteer Helper/Moderator

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:03 PM

Official word from Lavasoft: http://lavasoft.com/...are-scan-freeze

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users