• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Madmax

Madmax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:19 PM

Ad-aware can't install in my system. I had to uninstall it due to technical faults with my P.C. The install wizard will get me to the part where the installation will occur but then the promt says that the the current verson of Ad-Aware can't be uninstalled. Please remove Ad-aware from unstall programs. There is nothing on my list of programs that can be uninstalled. Any help? If this was already posted please just send me the link to it? Thanks!

#2 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:46 PM

You can do a clean uninstall yourself if you're experienced with finding/deleting folders, files, and registry entries; or you can use programs like these useful free tools. WICU cleans up botched installs and Revo Uninstaller on the highest setting will remove all traces of Lavasoft/Ad-Aware.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#3 Madmax

Madmax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:15 PM

You can do a clean uninstall yourself if you're experienced with finding/deleting folders, files, and registry entries; or you can use programs like these useful free tools. WICU cleans up botched installs and Revo Uninstaller on the highest setting will remove all traces of Lavasoft/Ad-Aware.

I have tried revo uninstall. However it does not find any files or folders that contain ad-aware.

#4 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:03 AM

Did you try searching for Lavasoft and AAW? If so, and it still doesn't work, let me know if you're comfortable doing it manually. If you have XP, I can post some generic instructions.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#5 Madmax

Madmax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:07 PM

Did you try searching for Lavasoft and AAW? If so, and it still doesn't work, let me know if you're comfortable doing it manually. If you have XP, I can post some generic instructions.

Ok I did the search and the search found Adaware SE edition. I was able to install the program and it ran for about a good two minuets. Then it just stopped and got me back to the desktop. I tried to access the program again then it gave me windows cna't accesses this program. Make sure that your pathway, files etc are correct.

I did get hit with the malware "Protection System" about 4 days ago.

Yes I would like the instructions if possible. Hope this information helps.

#6 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:54 AM

I did get hit with the malware "Protection System" about 4 days ago.

A lot of malware prevents security programs from working properly. If you think you're still infected, read the instructions in my signature if you'd like help with malware removal.

Yes I would like the instructions if possible. Hope this information helps.

If you want to manually remove applications from an XP system, here are generic instructions of where to find files, folders, and registry entries:

Just because Windows XP has the Add/Remove Programs feature it doesn't mean your application will appear in the list. Furthermore, even if it does appear, it's no guarantee that the uninstall feature will work. When you run across one of these situations the items listed below will help in getting rid of the application. Be aware that these steps may not remove everything associated with the application and can impact other applications on the computer. Have a backup or restore point and use caution.

Find the directory for the application and delete all the files in the directory. Delete the directory.

Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE and find the folder for the application. Delete the folder.

Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE and find the folder for the application. Delete the folder.

To remove the application entry from Add/Remove Programs (if present) open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and find the folder for the application. Delete the folder.

also check:
SOFTWARE\Classes\Drive\shell\ for program or company name
SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shell\ for program or company name

Some applications have Services attached to them. If this is the case, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services, locate and delete the service.

In Windows Explorer, navigate to the individual user settings and delete program references. Common places to check would be:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs and delete relevant entries.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup and delete relevant entries.
C:\Documents and Settings\%YourUserID%\Start Menu\Programs and delete relevant entries.
[Do this for each User ID listed]
C:\Documents and Settings\%YourUserID%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup and delete relevant entries.
[Do this for each User ID listed]

If no entries were found in the previous step and the application launches automatically, navigate to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
and delete the entry.

#7 Madmax

Madmax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 03:30 AM

I did all that was posted and then some. I still can not get Ad-aware to install. I was able to have microsoft get rid of the virus. But I do not believe that it is all gone. Should I bring it in to a computer shop? Or does any one have an answer? Another problem that I am having si that some programs (AVG, Spybot, Malwarebites) will start for like 4 seconds then it completes just cancels itself out. I'll try to start it again then it says that windows can not access this program. Check registry file and path name. AVG I can get to the program but will not scan.

Edited by visitor, 26 August 2009 - 06:18 AM.
deleted unneeded quote

#8 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:17 AM

It does sound like your system is infected. If you're not in a hurry, you can follow the instructions in my signature. Bringing it to a shop costs money, is not necessarily quicker, and exposes your data unless you protect it. There are a lot of computer "quacks" out there in my opinion, so unless you know someone, I'd recommend the skills of the volunteers here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users