• This topic is locked This topic is locked
61 replies to this topic

#1 fisherka

fisherka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:00 PM

I have been using Ad-Aware on my Vista laptop with Norton 360 with no problems for about a year. The other day I updated Ad-Aware, ran a full scan, and at around 3700 files or so, it freezes. When I stopped the scan, closed and reopened Ad-Aware, it appeared as if a scan was still running but showed no objects scanned. Rebooting the system does take Ad-Aware back to the default screen when it is opened. I tried a smart scan, deleted all temporary files. defragged my system, re-installed Ad-Aware but it still freezes when I run a scan. I also ran a Norton 360 scan and found no viruses or spyware. I disabled Norton, Ad-Aware, and Ad-Watch and ran Spyware Doctor to see if it would find something that might be causing the problem--It found nothing. I shut down Spyware Doctor and went back to Norton and Ad-Aware but my problem still exists. Is this a known bug with the latest update? Any ideas on how to fix?

#2 MartyS

MartyS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:08 PM

I have the exact same problem on two of my computers running Vista Home Premium. This occured after the SP2 Vista update. There is a programming error in Ad Ware that need correcting. The latest program update does not addrss this flaw. I delected Ad Ware as clicking "Stop Scan" onl results in the popup window dying. The program keeps running and you cannot get out of the dead Scan window. Useless. I will stay with SpyBot until this gets some attention by LavaSoft.

#3 GoddersUK

GoddersUK

Valued Member/ Ad-Aware Beta Tester

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:27 PM

@fisherka - please try scanning with Ad-Aware while Norton is disabled.

@MartyS - I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to describe. If you state what the programming error is it can be corrected. Also, separate issues should be discussed in separate topics.

Thanks,

GoddersUK
If you are a paying user (Plus/Pro License) you should visit the Lavasoft Support Centre.

If you need help to remove an infection:

Read this first. Follow ALL the steps in it. If you do not then you will just be asked to go away and do so.
Then post your HJT log (copy and paste, don't attach) into a NEW topic in the HJT Log Forum
Await advice from either a Volunteer Security Advisor or a member of Lavasoft staff.

If you see anyone other than a VSA or Lavasoft staff member giving advice in the HijackThis forum please PM a mod.

DO NOT POST HJT LOGS IN ANY FORUM OTHER THAN THE OFFICIAL HJT LOG FORUM. We will be unable to deal with them there and will just tell you to go to the right place.

Please do NOT bump HijackThis log posts, it won't help you receive help any faster - the VSAs look for posts with zero replies. If after one week you have not received a response please repost your log file in a NEW thread.

#4 fisherka

fisherka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:15 PM

GoddersUK: Thanks for the information. I disabled the Norton 360 Smart Firewall and the Antivirus and rescanned with Ad-Aware AE. No difference, problem still exists.

#5 DerekS

DerekS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:04 PM

I have the same problem with the scan freezing and unable to stop the program running unless I reboot. I have also disabled Norton 360 and the problem still exists. The Norton log shows unauthorised access by aawservice.exe logged

#6 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 12:27 AM

I have also disabled Norton 360 and the problem still exists. The Norton log shows unauthorised access by aawservice.exe logged

Try allowing AAWService.exe and AAWTray.exe in both the Norton 360 av and firewall. It might be similar to the conflict with Symantec Endpoint - in that case, when Ad-aware scanned the Symantec files, Endpoint went into defense mode and stopped the perceived threat. I'm not familiar with Norton, but also make sure when it's "disabled" it's not just closing the tray icon - with AVG, right-click exit via the tray icon only gets rid of the tray icon; disabling must be done via the GUI.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#7 fisherka

fisherka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 04:04 AM

Thanks. I will give that a try once I figure out how to do it. Does anyone know how to do this?

#8 flash492

flash492

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:43 PM

My wife and I have the same problem, Adaware AE freezes during scan, it didn't seem to happen before the last web update, I have been using Adaware for years and nothing like this has ever happened, I have been using Norton 360 and Vista for a few years now, although I just upgraded Norton 360 to V.3, I had V.2. Maybe Lavasoft will come up with a hotfix or something similar.

#9 DerekS

DerekS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:17 PM

I have uninstalled Norton 360 due to other problems and was able to run scans with Ad-Aware without problem.The problem has only occured on my computer since Norton 360 updated to version 3.5.2.10

#10 fisherka

fisherka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:38 AM

Thanks Derek. I will uninstall Norton 360 and see if that takes care of the problem. Will let you know. Thanks

#11 blueskys

blueskys

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:58 AM

I am having the same trouble. I am running Norton Internet Security 2009 and Vista on my Desktop and Laptop. Have had no problems until the latest updates with Ad-aware within the past week. I updated Adaware to date on my Desktop and it freezes during the scan, same trouble that all of you are having. Now on my laptop, I haven't updated since 8/12/09 and it runs perfectly fine. So the problem exists somewhere between 8/13/09 and 8/23/09. I sure hope they find a fix real soon. I also tried uninstalling Adaware and reinstalling the program. Tried disabling Norton, etc., but nothing works.

Edited by blueskys, 25 August 2009 - 04:02 AM.

#12 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:15 AM

If you haven't seen it, there's a similar thread:

http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=26761

The problem has been brought to Lavasoft's attention and they may need to sort this out with Norton. They recently sorted out a conflict with Kaspersky, so keep your fingers crossed :)
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#13 sw1

sw1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:43 AM

I have been using Ad-Aware on my Vista laptop with Norton 360 with no problems for about a year. The other day I updated Ad-Aware, ran a full scan, and at around 3700 files or so, it freezes. When I stopped the scan, closed and reopened Ad-Aware, it appeared as if a scan was still running but showed no objects scanned. Rebooting the system does take Ad-Aware back to the default screen when it is opened. I tried a smart scan, deleted all temporary files. defragged my system, re-installed Ad-Aware but it still freezes when I run a scan. I also ran a Norton 360 scan and found no viruses or spyware. I disabled Norton, Ad-Aware, and Ad-Watch and ran Spyware Doctor to see if it would find something that might be causing the problem--It found nothing. I shut down Spyware Doctor and went back to Norton and Ad-Aware but my problem still exists. Is this a known bug with the latest update? Any ideas on how to fix?

Please add me as one more person with the very same problem. I am also using Norton Internet Security and the AdAware problem only started with the most recent AdAware update. Thank you.

#14 Lin Yu

Lin Yu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:47 PM

I have the same problem, exactly as described by Fisherka, the first poster in this thread and wish to add a couple of details that may ( or may not ) be helpful:

-- I did start experiencing this problem on 8/24/09
-- I use NIS 2009 and I have Windows Home Premium installed in one laptop and Windows XP in another
-- On the laptop running under XP, I haven't updated Ad-Aware for several days and I have NO PROBLEM whatsoever
-- On the laptop with Vista installed I downloaded Lavasoft's latest updates on 8/24/09 and the problem just started

I intend to go ahead and get the newest updates for the XP machine and proceed with the scan. I will report the results.

If anyone finds any way out of this, please advise. Thanks.

Lin Yu

#15 Lin Yu

Lin Yu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:11 PM

I can now report that a scan was performed on my XP machine after the most recent updates were applied, and the scan proceeded to end with the message: "Scan was completed successfully. No malicious objects were detected."

What gives?

May be someone could shed some light or provide a way to a possible solution.

Thank you.

#16 Franc1

Franc1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:25 PM

I have been having the same problem for the last two days. I uninstalled Ad-Aware and reinstalled it but the problem still exist. Lavasoft is going to have to find a fix for it.

#17 DerekS

DerekS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:47 AM

I have followed HOTELLJACK advice as below and disabled Norton 360 Tamper Protection feature and the scan runs with no problem. Enable the Tamper Protection feature and the scan fails

:rolleyes: Just to advise: I've used Norton 360 & Ad-Aware together for at least a year with no problems. Couple of days ago on start up my computer gave an error message that start up failed and an option to repair the problem automatically, which was done. All was ok afterwards except that Ad-Aware would freeze seconds into a new scan. (Deep scans by Norton 360, Threatfire, Malwarebytes and SpyBot found nothing.) Running Vista Home Premium on an Intel 2.50 Ghz Quad Core computer.

I finally traced the problem to Norton 360's Tamper Protecton feature. Disable Tamper Protection & the Ad-Aware scan will run. Enbled Tamper Protection & the scan hangs up quickly. (Of course, enable Tamper Protection again before hitting the internet.) To disable Tamper Protection on Norton 360 3.0; open 360, click on "settings" at the top & uncheck the Tamper Protection box on the right under Quick Controls. (The process also gives an option to automatically restore Tamper Protection after 15 minutes.)

:mellow: If I didn't like Ad-Aware so much, I would not have gone to all of the trouble it took to track down this issue but running SpyBot in this problem hunt reminded me why I switched to Ad-Aware in the first place: It is quick, thorough & usually trouble free.

#18 blueskys

blueskys

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:58 PM

I have followed HOTELLJACK advice as below and disabled Norton 360 Tamper Protection feature and the scan runs with no problem. Enable the Tamper Protection feature and the scan fails

Derek, I am running Norton Internet Security 2009, do you know what I would have to disable to run a scan with Ad-Aware? Also Is there any other program out there for Free that is as nice as the Ad-Aware. Currently I am running Norton Internet Secuirty, Malware Bytes . Thanks.

#19 DerekS

DerekS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:18 PM

Sorry I am not able to help with Norton 2009 as I have never used it. I am sure other members will be able to help

DerekS

#20 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:41 PM

I am running Norton Internet Security 2009, do you know what I would have to disable to run a scan with Ad-Aware?

Enabling or disabling Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users