• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Riffy

Riffy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:39 PM

Last night, all of a sudden the adwatch program went crazy with stuff trying to run, most of it had a blank name. So I started to hit block till it got names and I saw it had blocked major things my pc needed to run and now my pc can't run .exe or .lnk files unless I am in safe mode command prompt. I deleted the lava dir and removed anything of lava from my reg, does anyone know how to remove whatever I have to so it stop blocking thoes files or how to fix this?

#2 Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:38 PM

Hi

Assuming you have Windows XP there are two ways we can resolve this.

The quickest is to use system restore to restore to a point before you had the issues with blocking items in Ad-Watch.

As system restore is an exe program as well you need to run it from the command prompt. You will first need to boot into Safe Mode with a command prompt and then run the system restore from the command line.

Full instructions on how to run the command in this way and a link on how to boot into Safe Mode with a command prompt see this Microsoft article:

http://support.micro...;en-us;304449#4

Pick a date to restore to before you first had this issue.

If this fixes the issue then remember to reapply any program updates you may have applied after the date of the restore point you used.

If this does not fix your issue try the following, this is more involved but will fix the issue, but be sure to follow the instructions carefully.

Two steps we have to do:

1) Correct the registry values
2) Learn ad-watch to accept these new settings.

First download the appropriate registry file fixes from Doug Knox's web site at

http://www.dougknox..../file_assoc.htm

Download these and unzip them into a folder.

COM File Association Fix (Restore the default associations for COM files)
EXE File Association Fix (Restore default association for EXE files)
LNK (Shortcut) File Association Fix (Restores Default Shortcut Behavior)

Next start ad-watch, right click on the icon in the system tray, and select Ad-watch settings. Make sure the selection has a red cross against Automatic. If it is a green tick click on it to deselect automatic.

The hardest part is to restore the exe association. Follow the instructions at the top of Doug Knox's web site under the Note section on how to start Regedit from within Task Manager. Follow these instructions exactly and Regedit should start.

Now import the reg files you downloaded above in turn. In regedit select file then select import and browse to each of the above reg files in turn. If prompted to confirm merge select yes to accept. Ad-watch will pop an alert for each merge as well. Ensure you accept the changes in ad-watch.

Once all the reg files have been merged the file associations should now work OK.

Once you have restored the file associations please run a scan with Ad-Aware and post back with a copy of the Ad-Aware log file.

#3 Riffy

Riffy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:19 PM

Any idea what caused this? Also to roll back doesn't that mean that I somehow set xp pro to do that. Since I don't think its on by default.

#4 Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:30 PM

In Windows XP system restore is on by default and it creates regular restore points, if you run the program it will show you the dates available so just pick one before the event happened.

As to why it happened maybe some malware got onto your system. Some malware items attack the file associations to make it difficult to clean them off. An alternative was maybe you installed some new program or patch that updated the registry in a valid manner and ad-watch was warning you of the changes. if you were installing patches or new programs then the alerts would need to be accepted in Ad-watch else the program will not be installed fully.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users